Develop your Palate and Taste Wine

fanglekaifanglekai Regular
edited January 2011 in Life

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Great guide. I'll just repeat that my wine will be from bottles and not boxes or bags and hope everyone else does the same :)
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    Actually, wine in bags stays fresh way longer than wine in bottles does. It'll keep for up to a month. The problem with bagged wine is most wineries aren't putting their good wine in bags because of the stigma associated with wine in bags. That is, Franzia is the best known boxed wine, and it tastes like shit. People assume all wines in boxes (bags, actually) taste like shit. If wineries wanted to they could put their best wines in bags and totally change the stereotype. Not only does it stay fresh longer, but transporting bags of wine has half the carbon footprint that transporting bottles has. The reason is that you can transport way more wine per bag than you can with bottles.
    edited September 2010
    Ah, that's why they put milk in bags. But yeah, if the quality isn't there, I'd rather shell out a few extra bucks.
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, pretty much all good wine is in bottles. I've never seen any good bagged wine here.
    edited September 2010
    I had a bottle of Altanura Pinot Grigio last night. It's from Italy. I need to revise my statement on Pinot Grigio. This one was excellent. It was dry but had a little sweetness. Excellent fruit notes, a bit of citrus.
    edited December 2010
  • edited December 2010
    This is an excellent and well written guide, I am happy to use it is the first flexing of my mod muscles. Now that I have found that neat-o moderator drop down, that is.
  • edited December 2010
    Pretty sweet guide bro, enjoyed reading it. Shame I hate the taste of wine :(
  • edited December 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Pretty sweet guide bro, enjoyed reading it. Shame I hate the taste of wine :(

You might not hate the taste of wine, just the wines you have tried so far. I have horrible taste in wine, I like sweet German style Gewverstraminer, Gewurstaminner, fuck it, Reisling wines and a lot of local cheap ass "Vin de Table". Usually wine is an accompanyment to food for me, so I only drink it while I'm eating. The astringent and acid quality cleanses the mouth between bites of different foods, allowing you to appreciate good food more. Try a little red sometime when you are eating something really rich and intense like lasagna.
    C/O
    "We sell no wine, before it's time. If you can remember that one, PM me, I have the entire 80's on tap, movies, tv, music, video games, fuck I'm old"
    edited December 2010
    Updated my guide with NEW SHIT, so reread it!!!!!!!

Also, table wine isn't an insult in the US. Most wines are table wines. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Table_wine

Makes me lawl when people say "zomg it's table wine!!" as if it were an insult. In Europe table wine usually means wines of lesser quality, but it's kind of complicated.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Quality_Wines_Produced_in_Specified_Regions
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited December 2010
    What are some of the different ingredients used to make wine.? Obviously grapes, but what else? Just wondering because my grandfather used to make dandelion wine, and other types apparently...how 'bout tomato wine? :D
    edited December 2010
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-your-own-wine/

http://wineintro.com/making/

I don't home brew, so I really don't know all the details. I might try to homebrew.
    edited December 2010
    Just stay away from plum wine.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited December 2010
    I'm drinking alone tonight...so will test this guide out. Got some Californian Red
    edited December 2010
    What's the brand? What's the variety?
    edited December 2010
    Oh and Black Box is a great brand for bagged wine. Comes in 3L size and stays fresh for a month. Has a pour spout so you can pour as little or as much as you want at once. I paid $22 for the 3L box.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited December 2010
    Banrock station shiraz mateo comes in boxes and is decent. It is actually less of a carbon foot print to drink french wines in bottles than new world wines in boxes.

I have recently consumed a Bordeux claret called 'Le Fontegnec'. It is a mix of Cabentet Sauvignon and Merlot grapes. You can get it in the UK in sainsburys for £3.99.

It is good wine.
  • edited January 2011
    Despite lacking the OP, this thread still has user content, so it sticks around, apologies to anyone looking for Fanglebye's wine guide, tho'. Fuck me, I must have really pissed the dude off, I basically just told him to stfu, hell I get told that all the time IRL. Fucking snobby ass bi lingual grammar cop.
    edited January 2011
    He didn't leave because of you. You had nothing to do with it. I'll just leave it at that.
  • Bob_DoleBob_Dole Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Oh and Black Box is a great brand for bagged wine. Comes in 3L size and stays fresh for a month. Has a pour spout so you can pour as little or as much as you want at once. I paid $22 for the 3L box.

Black Box FTW! I was going to suggest that but I'm glad other people know about it. I don't drink anymore but when I did I always kept a box around for company. $22 dollars seems steep though - I remember paying $15 around my parts.