Ask Anything Thread (Mostly Site Related)

DfgDfg Admin
edited March 2013 in Help and Suggestions
In this thread I am going to answer different questions from Totse users. I figured instead of having 100 threads about the same question why not a single thread with all those questions. Makes my job easier.

Okay, so the first question is from McSkluvin:
McSkluvin wrote: »
Well, staying on topic, let's say a guide about fixing snapped cigarettes was on the bbs, could it turn into a text file if it was detailed enough and seemed like it could be a good contribution to the front page?

Almost like a bill turns into a law, lawl...... :o

Source

Guides = Contains detailed instructions with some content.
How-to = Step by Step instructions. Likie 1,2,3, good for instructional threads.

All Guides,how-to threads are already selected for front page publishing. But for other threads I am planning to add another prefix called Text-File.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Once we have the text file prefix running, and the rest of the site fixed - can we somehow integrate the main site text files with the ones on the forum?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Once we have the text file prefix running, and the rest of the site fixed - can we somehow integrate the main site text files with the ones on the forum?

You mean that whatever you post in a thread would be converted into a guide? I doubt that can happen without some major modifications.

Here is my plan:
    Get the front page running. Migrate old text files to the new system [one time deal].
    Then after that finishes, search for Text-files, Guide, How-to threads and then move them to the front page.
    Make a set of rules that will prevent old/duplicate guide threads for being published again.
    Make a team of editors that will handle this job.

This is just a draft btw.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Good plan. All guides, however trivial, will have an audience. If editors don't require a set of developers skills, I'm up for helping out.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Good plan. All guides, however trivial, will have an audience. If editors don't require a set of developers skills, I'm up for helping out.

lol, you were already selected to be an editor along with Trx100 :). All mods will have the option to be an editor. Only hard working contributors will be selected as editors.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow thanks, you just made my week :D
  • edited September 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    You mean that whatever you post in a thread would be converted into a guide? I doubt that can happen without some major modifications.

If all the guides were stored in a database, you could easily get this working. Then again, I'm not sure if Vbulletin would like this method.

Anyway. I thought that maybe when someone submits a guide thread with the prefix, it gets added to the database. Then you could write a script for the front page using PHP and SQL which accesses the database, reads the text file, and displays it on screen.

If you're worried about formatting, then a PHP file can easily interpret a guide title and body, and put it all in the right place on the site.

This would all be a little demanding on the server though.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    If all the guides were stored in a database, you could easily get this working. Then again, I'm not sure if Vbulletin would like this method.

Anyway. I thought that maybe when someone submits a guide thread with the prefix, it gets added to the database. Then you could write a script for the front page using PHP and SQL which accesses the database, reads the text file, and displays it on screen.

If you're worried about formatting, then a PHP file can easily interpret a guide title and body, and put it all in the right place on the site.

This would all be a little demanding on the server though.

Well, if someone can make this system, I would be more than happy to make it work. But the down side is, we wont have control over things. Anything can get published. I want to have a filtering system in place. And I want that filter to be Editors. Btw Forum and Front page would be different. I mean seperate.
  • edited September 2010
    Ahhh. Alright. Well, perhaps we can write something using PHP and SQL for the front page.

How are the text files currently being stored?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Ahhh. Alright. Well, perhaps we can write something using PHP and SQL for the front page.

How are the text files currently being stored?

Don't know. But I think it's in the shape of txt files.
  • edited September 2010
    Where do you see TOTSE in the next year?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    So the editors would filter out any files that didn't belong in the text file section or would they only work with guides/how-to's/textfiles on the bbs?
    The handle the Text File department and any new submissions. Forum and Article System will be seperate. I don't want to burden my mods and editors :).
    Where do you see TOTSE in the next year?

Bigger than Cracked.com or at least close to them. I am actually making a community first and then moving it towards mainstream media. Revenue + popularity + community
  • edited September 2010
    How big did &T use to be? I didn't really pay attention to the number of members here.
  • edited September 2010
    Jesus, that's awesome. If you're not too busy, would it be possible to paste in a screenshot of the current stats as well for comparing?

(Notice my question mark there, in spirit of the thread? :D)
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow... Totse.com roughly had our amount of members x117
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    It was fucking huge. There were so many duplicate and troll accounts, though. I remember browsing through some and saw that lots had 0 posts.
    edited September 2010
    Oh the good ol days of closed reg.
  • edited September 2010
    Will closed reg ever happen over here, and why?
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited September 2010
    Eventually we will because it will be good for the community. We don't now because it would be bad for us. I remember having to wait for registration on &T and it just added to my wanting to be a member. The same went for my demonoid account.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited September 2010
    Why are my genetails all large and red?

Oh right, site related. Sorry.
  • edited September 2010
    How good is the hosting/server that we are on right now?

Could it withstand a shit-ton of new users and activity, or even a DDoS attack?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    How good is the hosting/server that we are on right now?

Could it withstand a shit-ton of new users and activity, or even a DDoS attack?

Don't know about DDoS but I think it can withstand some major loads :). If it can't we will just upgrade.
    edited September 2010
    I checked totse every day until reg reopened.
  • edited August 2014
    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/people/127122075@N04/">kate upton 3 stooges scene</a> kate upton vs brooklyn decker <a href="https://openlibrary.org/works/OL17048796W/CHANTELLE_HOUGHTON_NUDE!_DESNUDA!">chantelle houghton 14 weeks pregnant</a> chantelle houghton zimbio <a href="https://openlibrary.org/works/OL17048797W/CHARLI_XCX_NUDE!_DESNUDA!">charli xcx gq</a> charli xcx rar <a href="https://openlibrary.org/works/OL17048798W/CHARLIE_WEBSTER_NUDE!_DESNUDA!">charlie webster maine</a> charlie's hair design webster groves mo <a href="https://openlibrary.org/works/OL17048812W/CAITY_LOTZ_NUDE!_DESNUDA!">caity lotz bio</a> caity lotz dancer
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Is there anything like invitation codes for VBulletin? When we disable registrations, we could award invite codes to people if they earn them.

There might be a way for it. I have to look around.
  • edited September 2010
    So now that we're back online, what are we attempting to fix/add/do next?

Excited!
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    So now that we're back online, what are we attempting to fix/add/do next?

Excited!

Hellish is planning to add a test server where users can work on the CMS platform that will host the text files.
    Whereas I will be adding a new Prefix called Text-Files and then I will start working on adding editors.
    Expect more guide,howto and text file threads and lots of traffic.
  • abrnabrn Abrn
    edited October 2010
    Hellish = Jeff Hunter
    zok/j.c. stanton = NOBODY
    This leaves us without and admin 85% of the time because Hellish is very Jeffy with his moods and timing. When will a new admin be chosen? We need someone to be totses bitch.
    edited October 2010
    Yeah but then he'll appoint his camel lover as coadmin and she will be the new wires.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    Hellish handles the server side, I handle the forums and everything in between :).
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Yeah but then he'll appoint his camel lover as coadmin and she will be the new wires.

It would be like a strange internet paki version of caligula:eek:
  • CantsalamonCantsalamon Semo-Regulars
    edited November 2010
    Can i get a name change to Blueprint please :))
  • abrnabrn Abrn
    edited November 2010
    I'm down with DFG and Hellish but I was just saying we need a total workbitch, but you guys got it covered I see now since I've posted that.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Can i get a name change to Blueprint please :))

Sorry name chaging isn't allowed. You're free to make a new account :).
  • CantsalamonCantsalamon Semo-Regulars
    edited November 2010
    Ahh nuggets.
    Yeah I guess I will then :D
    Wait hang on...i cant use my email address though :(
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Ahh nuggets.
    Yeah I guess I will then :D
    Wait hang on...i cant use my email address though :(

I just changed your e-mail to something else. You can now make a new account.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited December 2010
    i cant report some one ? says i dont have privileges ????
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    blindbat wrote: »
    i cant report some one ? says i dont have privileges ????

Try reporting my posts.
  • edited January 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    why do you hate america?
    Why do you hate freedom?
    No
    why do you hate pork?
    No
    why do you hate pictures of mudhammad?
    No
    why do you have sex with livestock?
    Hmm,
    why do you blame all your problems on israel?
    No
    why do you have a unibrow and inbreed?
    I don't have a unibrow.

olo
  • edited January 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    do you seriously expect us to believe that?

I posted my picture on Twitter :).
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited January 2011
    Try reporting my posts.

Lol nvm i didn't see that " ! " icon in the corner
  • GrinchGrinch Regular
    edited February 2011

How many threads are you subscribed to?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Grinch wrote: »
    How many threads are you subscribed to?

Threads: 3427
  • hotbodhotbod New Arrival
    edited February 2011
    anyone remember me from any where?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROEwSC8HWz6yy3yBr47rbiURBN9_qsYnD10cHrJp5pGgVcsgr8&t=1
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    I am unable to upload an avatar. I uploaded a profile picture but for some reason can't upload an avatar.

Only Regulars can do that, sorry :)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Whats that like 100 posts?

Yep, it should be 100 or more.
  • edited February 2011
    I wonder if this discourages users from posting... Hmm.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    What are our current tags?

&T,totse,forum,article,temple,crime,art,society,religion,totse.info,freedom,pthc,how to make a bomb,terrorists,bombing,erotica

Will optimize them more when my Internet gets fixed.