Do you write in cursive or in block letters?

AmieAmie Regular
edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I've recently learnt Americans usually learn to write in block letters first and cursive writing is a skill learned later on and unused by a lot of people. This seemed quite strange to me, because I learned cursive and block writing at the same time and was thaught cursive writing is "the standard" 'cause it's so much faster and looks better. Block letters are only used here when writing things which need to be very clear (like OUT OF ORDER signs).

So, how about you? What do you usually use? What do you find easier? Anything else to add?

Comments

• StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited September 2010
    I use block letters because my handwriting is atrocious. My x used to follow me into my rounds at 4n6 tourneys to write my piece info on the chalkboard so people could read it.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited September 2010
    I print and sometimes get fancy and do some weird calligraphic writing.

I'm dysgraphic and it's really hard for me to write cursive. I can't loop certain letters together and usually end up frustrated and deviate to print again then cursive.

Even so, my handwriting's pretty fucking awesome.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    I always print. My cursive is terrible although my print isnt much better.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    I've never met a person who still writes in cursive. I use a hybrid style that combines the speed of cursive with the clarity and simplicity of printing, but I still consider it to be printing.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    Apparently I must write in cursive on the SAT's. I can't write cursive anymore, haven't done it in 5 years. Fuck.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited September 2010
    I think my cursive looks nicer than my print, but I choose print because the stupid fucking kids over here can't read cursive. :facepalm:
  • edited September 2010
    I print all my letters, they're really messy and I can't join up :(
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited September 2010
    Print, and at times that wierd thing in between the two where I connect block letters. My print is decent, I've been told my cursive is excellent, but I don't use it just because I see block letters everywhere and I'm used to them. I was used to block letters as a kid, and so I thought "wtf?" and just switched back to print after being required to learn cursive.
  • edited September 2010
    skyclaw441 wrote: »
    Print, and at times that wierd thing in between the two where I connect block letters. My print is decent, I've been told my cursive is excellent, but I don't use it just because I see block letters everywhere and I'm used to them. I was used to block letters as a kid, and so I thought "wtf?" and just switched back to print after being required to learn cursive.

Hahaha, I sometimes join up block letters too :D It's retarded.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited September 2010
    I remember first learning print, then cursive, then adopting cursive, then at some point in time where legibility really did become a factor (Essays maybe?) - reverting back to print. Currently, if I write something it's always in capital and although incorrect, it's extremely easy to read.

It's strange that I have been paying special attention to my hand writing lately lol
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited September 2010
    my handwriting is so bad that it looks like arabic
  • thatsMYdogthatsMYdog Regular
    edited September 2010
    Print... usually in caps
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited September 2010
    A little bit of both. Mostly cursive though.
  • HTS-NoobHTS-Noob Regular
    edited September 2010
    Blocks. I print. My writing is baaaaaaaaad. It looks like something a 7 year old might produce.
  • AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
    edited September 2010
    I print also, my handwriting is horrible in cursive and not much better in block. I like how all my teachers said everyone wrote in cursive in the higher grades when we learned it in the lower ones, when nobody ever really uses it anymore.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    I print also, my handwriting is horrible in cursive and not much better in block. I like how all my teachers said everyone wrote in cursive in the higher grades when we learned it in the lower ones, when nobody ever really uses it anymore.

Haha I know what you mean. I was told to write cursive also because "higher grades used it" but I always printed in highschool.
  • edited September 2010
    If you write in cursive you suck dick and fondle balls, and tickle the scrotum with your tongue.