Drivers, cars, and the requisite paperwork.

GumboGumbo Regular
edited October 2010 in Spurious Generalities
What if the government made the driving test really hard? What if you had to take part of it on a standard, 1985 volvo with an old clutch? What if it included some high-speed manouvering, and braking excercizes, and writing a few short essays accurately explaining the physics behind traction, how a car's engine and transmission work, and the reasons behind road rules? What if it had a day class on fucking parking ettiquite? What if it was more a series of short day-classes arranged by appointment? Or a day/two-day long session? What if your licence limited you to driving vehicles with specific horsepower and size ratings if you hadn't completed all the requirements to drive any normal car on public roads?

Wouldn't it be nice to have less wild and irresponsible soccer moms on the road? "Sorry, you didn't pass your 'not hitting pedestrians' test, so you can't drive a minivan, only a vespa."

I mean if there's to be a driving test at all, why not make it count?

Public transit is a safe and efficient way to move groups of people safely across short distances! Saves on the enviroment, allows old drunks to get around, etc. Whatever, it's great. I say we put those who can't be knowledgeable, and serious about their desire to drive on all of our busses and trains.

Comments

• SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited October 2010
    "So after your results have been processed you will be matched up to the vehicle that best suits your driving style. This means that you will legally be able to drive whatever the computer matches you with, and nothing else"

*printing noises*

"Congratulations you now have a licence to drive a T28 Super Heavy Ta-"

300px-T-28-1.jpg
  • GumboGumbo Regular
    edited October 2010
    The real question is whether you have the gas money to drive it.
  • AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
    edited October 2010
    Sounds like you want want the driver license to sorta be like gran turismo. I do agree that the driver test should be a bit harder because there are so many idiot drivers out there. Once you past the test you start forming bad habits and do them as second nature.

I think there should be a second drivers test once people hit 60 and have one every 5 years after that. I'm sick of old fucks driving horrible. (yes i know I'm going to be old one day)

That would be an interesting law to limit what people could drive, but wouldn't be plausible to enforce realistically.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited October 2010
    The automobile industry and everything related is big money. More drivers = more money.
  • electric wizardelectric wizard Acolyte
    edited October 2010
    This would be amazing. There's really no need for each individual person to own a car. I've felt strongly about this for a long time, and not just for environmental reasons. It just seems impractical.
  • edited October 2010
    This would be amazing. There's really no need for each individual person to own a car. I've felt strongly about this for a long time, and not just for environmental reasons. It just seems impractical.

Fine, we can take yours away first.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited October 2010
    If there were no cars driving on the road what would happen to auto mechanics. It's all about making money. Just like Mayberry said. If there were no crashes, what would happen to the insurance agencies and the tow-trucks. What about the oil companies?
  • GumboGumbo Regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm going to school soon to be an auto-mechanic, and I still think this would be a great idea. You can't hold back major positive change to save jobs. The number of lives saved by this would be tremendous. The rate of serious automobile accidents would plummet. Yes, tow truck companies and insurance companies would have to change their practices, and they'd lay off thousands. But people survive, man.

Oil prices would take a dive. American car manufacturers would tank, again. Hopefully. (Japan already has a system something like this IIRC so we'd end up driving more japanese cars likely.) And yeah, many mechanics would have to think about starting work in other, related fields. Maybe aircraft, marine, or motorcycle?

But these aren't bad things, necessarily. Oil companies have been fucking everything up in the last few years, and american cars have sucked ass for at least a decade. Insurance companies provide a necessary service, but basically scam half the people they deal with. I'm sure we've all gotten fucked in the ass by insurance at some point.

Anyone have more counterpoints?
  • edited October 2010
    Gumbo wrote: »
    Anyone have more counterpoints?

Just one
    your a fag
  • GumboGumbo Regular
    edited October 2010
    your a fag

Does this mean you'll be my super special friend?