Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Registrations have been enabled, you can now login and join in the discussion!

The flyback ZVS driver [Published]

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited April 2011 in Totseans Life
Warning: No fancy text. Blunt as fuck. Also, reply to my god dammed thread!

This is how you can make high voltage arcs with a flyback transformer. These can be found in anything with a cathode ray tube. (Glass TVs, old computer monitors).

You have a choice to either use the IRFP260 MOSFET, which can handle 48A, or the IRFP250 which can handle 33A. More amperes = longer hotter arcs, but the 260's are a dollar more. No matter what, both FETs must be put on their own heat sink (can't share one!). You can pull sinks from a computer monitor. Also make sure to use thermal paste ($3 at radioshack).

The inductor can be anywhere from 47uH to 200uH @ 10+ amps. More microhenrys = higher voltage but less amps. Less microhenrys = more amps but less volts. You can use the inductor donut (toroid) from a computer power supply if you don't want to buy one. Wrap 30 turns of 20AWG enamel magnet wire around the toroid and you'll have a 50 something uH inductor.

Power source is 2 car batteries in series. This will give you 24V. If you have only 1 car battery, you can use it but replace the 1k 5watt resistors with 470 ohm 3W ones. The arcs won't be too impressive at 12V however. If you want even more power, use 3 car batteries. The circuit will start to get quite hot though. If you really want to push it to the limit, 4 car batteries MAX. The FETs won't be able to handle any more power. If you want more power, you can replace the FETs with IGBTs. At around 30 bucks a pop, they aren't cheap. You'll likely blow up the transformer before an IGBT though. You can also use computer power supplies in place of the batteries too.

Any more than 24V, regularly kill the power and feel the FETs' heatsinks. If they're too hot to comfortably touch either run the thing intermittently, put a fan on it (big help!), or get bigger sinks.

Because the majority of you are electrically illiterate, I drew a picture only brandon could fuck this up with.
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

You can substitute the 1k 5w resistors with 470 ohm 3 watt resistors. It works just as well if not better.

All the blue wire and all the red wire must be thick (1k 5W resistor or 470 ohm 3W. The latter works better.
>400V Ultrafast diode
IRFP260 (high power) or IRFP250 (low power)
.68 uF Capacitor
56 uH Inductor
10K resistor
12v zener

Comments

• DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited October 2010
    fucking sweet, now to go find a FBT :D
  • Guest AccountGuest Account Locked
    edited October 2010
    niiiice. Im surprised how cheap the MOSFETS are. also what frequency do you think this thing resonates at?
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited October 2010
    From my measurements a computer flyback oscillates around 30kHz. And yeah, MOSFETs are really coming down in price now.
    edited October 2010
    said:

From my measurements a computer flyback oscillates around 30kHz. And yeah, MOSFETs are really coming down in price now.

ORLY?! so like, this is also a(weak) ELF/VLF(extreem low frequency) TX?
    too bad I still dont get Morse code :(

edit: WAIT, isnt this also a spark gap TXer, is there any way to modulate it with voice?
    edited October 2010
    I suppose it is, but I doubt you'll get much TX range with it. After all ELF antennas are miles long.

You can't audio modulate the ZVS driver, but you can play music though the arc with this one. Not as powerful though.

Spoiler:

FLAWED CIRCUIT DO NOT USE

I'll make a picture later for the electrically illiterate, but in the meantime here's a video of a plasma speaker.

[YOUTUBE]BSeP34yC6vA[/YOUTUBE]
    edited October 2010
    Col vid, both.

my idea was that spark gap TXers "bleed" across all frq's so you can talk on PA systems and whatnot if your close to the wiring :D

HOLY SHIT! see that black board thing with the breadboard,meter and all the springs, knobs and shit?

I used to have one like that when I was a kid! it was sooooo fucking cool. I wish I still had it. had lots of usefull stuff, the books had lots of practical things to build. made some good micro TXers with it. actually, you can make all sorts of shit with those. i bet they dont even make them anymore :(
    edited October 2010
    Lol I still have mine. Check the post again, I found a better driver. It uses common parts and the 555 timer IC. In fact I am going to build one now, I have all the stuff.

Also, they still make the learning lab. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3814337
    edited October 2010
    said:
    GOOD! if they ever stop making those. then its time to kill the owner of radioshack. It has already went to SHIT!

All they have now is one rack of parts :( when I was still doing this stuff avidly. they had a 10x10ft room devoted to parts,antennas and even shit that they were selling themselves personally(under the table)..

there was these to guys that worked at my local radio shack, one was a cross-eyed 40something ham radio extra class licensed, with a 88 3/4 ton Chevy(with a 350 and a 3 speed) "mobile ham shack van"with like 10 antennas and a red light bar. looked like a nerdy-mystery van LOL! and the other was this skinny, pale 20y/o super-nerd. he was like a walking computer. the old guy let me rummage through his(huge) collection of old radio shit. so much golden opportunities :eek:

THEY, deserved to work at radio shack! fucking geniuses!

then they fired them and got a girl and some other 20yo dude and none of them knew ANYTHING about electronics unless it was a fuking cellphone :mad: I was so pissed that I got into a verbal fight with the manager and thrown out :mad:
    edited October 2010
    For lulz I asked the manager of radioshack the other day how to fix a radio. I got an "ummm....."
    edited October 2010
    said:

For lulz I asked the manager of radioshack the other day how to fix a radio. I got an "ummm....."

they are total shit now :mad:

they bring disgrace to the name and the culture

plasma TVs belong in best buy, stereo equpment belongs in an audio shop aand cellphones belong in celphone stores :mad:

RADIOS AND ELECTRONIC PARTS and misc. electronic doo-dads belong in radio shack
  • CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited October 2010
    Huh. This is convenient. :D
  • edited October 2010
    Awesome guide :hai: I really want to try this out this week.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited November 2010
    Looks cool.
    edited November 2010
    So make one.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited November 2010
    No time :o

/excuses
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited November 2010
    awesome, now to go and get some parts to try this out :D
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited November 2010
    Write something about carburetors and magnetos. I got a shitload of these laying around.
    edited November 2010
    You can't do anything with magnetos or carbs, aside from using them in an engine.
    edited November 2010
    Are you sure about that?

If ye crank it up fast enough it gives off this awesome jolt.
    edited November 2010
    Oh, I thought you meant engine magnetos. Yeah telephone magnetos are loads of fun. I wish I had one :(.
    edited November 2010
    No, I mean engine magnetos.

The ones in your typical radial/reciprocating engines.
    edited November 2010
    Oh. Hmm, IDK what you could do with them really. There's so little current there.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Taken from: Resistance Is Futile
    CMS Status:
    edited April 2011
    Y u move all mah threads?
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited April 2011
    This one is already published.
    http://www.totse.info/cms/the-flyback-zvs-driver
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    said:

Y u move all mah threads?

They will be moved back once the publishing is finished.

Moved back.