13579's Flamethrower Help/Guide

1357913579 Death Cog Machine
edited March 2011 in Man Cave
Thought I'd just dump all my progress and pictures in here, alone with any tips or tricks to help you construct your own flamethrower. I'd be happy to answer any questions.
(_-=+My Flamethrower+=-_)

Tests ran at 120 PSI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lhOGFd4RTM

Pictures:

dsc066.jpg

The gun portion.

picture004woz.jpg

The fuel tank. Kerosene is poured in through the center top hole, then the dip tube is inserted. It's pressurized through the quick disconnect fitting, via an air compressor or the second tank.

picture001srw.jpg

Gun connected to tank portion

imgp2556.jpg

Airtank connected to fuel tank. Tank valve is opened, ballvalve is opened, tank is pressurized via air compressor. Ball valve is closed, hose is a female quick-disconnect that is connected to the main tank to further pressurize it.

(_-=+Fuels+=-_)

The only fuel we've been successful with is Kerosene, and it only worked twice. The day we took the videos, and the 4th of july (2009). Every time I've tried it since, the pilot light (Propane torch) fails to ignite the kerosene.

I plan on rebuilding it soon, however you can get the basics of how it works if you'd like to build your own.

For fuels, Kerosene is pretty much the standard I've set. Safe to use with compressed air pressurizing it (In my experience). I'd like to try diesel when I get it working again, for a cheaper alternative. Denatured alcohol was used by the guy on Something Awful's forums who made his PVC flamethrower, however where I life it's rather expensive (About $20.00 a gallon). Works well, though.

Gasoline is about the most unsafe fuel you can use, in my opinion. Doesn't mean you shouldn't use it, however, just /NEVER/ with compressed air. Nitrogen or co2 would be something I'd work with, however.
(_-=+Other Plans+=-_)

There is a website selling some plans to make a nice flamethrower, http://flamethrowerplans.com/

However, since I don't believe in charging money, and since there isn't a torrent I can find of it, I searched around their website, and found their downfall. They have a thumbnail preview of their plans. They didn't count on anyone zooming in on it.

If you try really hard, you can read the words, and easily make out the picture diagrams. Here's the link: http://flamethrowerplans.com/wp-cont.../Picture-6.png

And here's a picture I made after squinting for too long at pixels:

47032658.jpg

62556831.jpg

The design is extremely similar to my original plans, but I had a budget of $0.00 and what I could steal from Ace hardware. Basically, the airtank is the fueltank, and the high pressure paintball/co2 tank is used to pressurize the airtank. Our gun portions are pretty much the same.

When I remake mine, I plan on using that design. First thing is to get a job though :p

With this information, you can make a pretty badass flamethrower. Hope this helped anyone, feel free to comment or ask questions.

Comments

• AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought this was going to be shit when I clicked the thread, but its actually pretty good.
  • megamanmegaman Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    i got hard from watching that video this is orgasmic. I'm really impressed i thought this would be sketchy.:D
  • edited July 2010
    Where you the one back on Zoklet that posted the video of the flamethrower in action?
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited September 2010
    So, update is in order. I have access to a CNC machine equipped with a plasma cutter, TIG/wirefeed/stick/oxy-acetylene/spot welders, lathes, etc. now.

I think it's time I revived this project.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    13579 wrote: »
    CNC machine equipped with a plasma cutter, TIG/wirefeed/stick/oxy-acetylene/spot welders, lathes, etc. now.

You better make something fucking amazing with all of that.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited September 2010
    How much would it cost to make one?
  • edited September 2010
    Bumping for more answers - I wanna know how much it costs.
    edited September 2010
    Depends on what tools you have, and how nice you want it to look.
  • edited September 2010
    Why not just enhance the second picture?
    edited September 2010
    You better make something fucking amazing with all of that.

I have no idea what to make...most of the parts I need, I can't really make...pressure tanks and pipe fittings...
    How much would it cost to make one?

Depends on how much stuff around your house you can already use...the most expensive parts would be the pressure tanks and the air blower/propane torch.

I haven't really spent any money on this, most everything was found behind my house, or donated by friends with jobs who wanted to see it work (Pipe fittings).
    Why not just enhance the second picture?

Alright, I'll do it in a bit here. There isn't anything the picture doesn't really give, just labels the obvious.
    edited September 2010
    flamethrowerplan.png

flamethrowerplan1.png

Shitty MS-Paint images of what I'm thinking. Two triangles, at the front and back of the gun, connected with rods that span the length of the gun. Both triangles will be CNC-Plasma cut out of thin aluminum (1/8 inch).

Why?

Because it's going to look fucking cool-

Two pilot lights instead of one, and two propane tanks. Hopefully no trouble igniting-

Pilot lights will stay where they are. Had a lot of trouble last time due to it moving since it was only secured with duct tape. Now they can be adjustable and stay in place properly-

More places to mount and conceal additional parts and pieces. Pressure gauges and hoses, to be precise-

Thoughts?
    edited September 2010
    My thoughts are it's going to be unwieldy.
  • edited September 2010
    My thoughts are it's going to be unwieldy.
    I agree, seems like it'll be too bulky/heavy for comfortable use. Maybe try using an MAPP torch as the pilot?
    edited October 2010
    I cut out a few chunks of cardboard, and after seeing how bulky that would actually be...here's what I actually made:

dsc00243fu.jpg

This is what I cut out on out cnc plasma, autocad files are available for anything I make if somebody wants them.

Here's what I used it for:

dsc00242q.jpg

dsc00241d.jpg

dsc00240v.jpg

dsc00239ae.jpg

The pilot light torch will be attached to the bottom of the propane tank, the distance to the barrel is right where it should be here. I can move and adjust it easily now, too.

I'm pretty sure my friend can get some kerosene for cheap/free through his parents, might just have some test pictures by next weekend.
    edited October 2010
    I fucking love it.
  • edited October 2010
    I fucking love it.
    fucking this
    edited October 2010
    You should anodize that aluminum. All you need is H2SO4 and some dye. Also if you need things designed, I'm pro at cad.
  • edited October 2010
    Holy fuck, thats awesome!
    edited October 2010
    You should anodize that aluminum. All you need is H2SO4 and some dye. Also if you need things designed, I'm pro at cad.

I've been thinking about anodizing lately, also think my metal shop teacher would be interested in it. My friend has a friend who works in the local refinery, who has offered to get him some rather concentrated H2SO4, though I'm unsure on exactly what percentage.

If only chrome plating was as easy as anodizing :(

Thanks for the offer, if I get stuck I'll PM you. A friend of mine who went off to instrumentation college a few months ago taught me everything I know about Autocad.
  • edited October 2010
    Just fucking spray paint it
    It's a goddamn flamethrower not a sculpture, wear adds character.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited October 2010
    Thought it belonged in here. Not worth making another thread for it. :o

fuiyD.png
  • edited December 2010
    Nice work on the gun. It's sweet you have access to a plasma cutter, I work in a shop with literally nothing but CNC's, and programming/finding an empty machine/setting up visa jaws is not really worth it to me, I will make mine out of wood.

Here's a pic of what I'm working with. For the gun, I'm going to pick up a used power washer wand and modify the tip for a thicker stream.

13579, what are you using for a tank? If you want one of these, I could buy another off the guy and ship it to you.

29le9go.jpg
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited December 2010
    some 1 should build a paintball gun that fires Napalm like paintballs that burst and stick on contact. if at all possible it would reduce user harm and be wicked;y awsome! if somebody does figure out how 2 make 1 or actualy makes 1 themselves i would pay alot of cash 4 plans or the actual device.
  • edited January 2011
    JestA wrote: »
    some 1 should build a paintball gun that fires Napalm like paintballs that burst and stick on contact. if at all possible it would reduce user harm and be wicked;y awsome! if somebody does figure out how 2 make 1 or actualy makes 1 themselves i would pay alot of cash 4 plans or the actual device.
    Weren't you banned?
  • strapped felonstrapped felon Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    wear adds character.

Hahaha
  • edited January 2011
    ^ So true though dude. Anything with a nice worn look is cooler, IMO.
  • edited January 2011
    Hahaha

lol ya ur rite lol look at this shit 1911
    VMsfR.jpg
    ud haf to get it reblued coz its so worn and ugly
  • spinkyspinky Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    You'd make a fortune selling these on ebay.