ok, so this shit really sucks (alcohol withdrawal)

MorningsideMorningside Regular
edited February 2011 in Man Cave
The past couple days have been shit. I've been drinking even more heavily than usual since xmas, and now the withdrawal is shit. I don't wanna just keep drinking because it will be even worse than it already is. I've been drinking just the minimum amount to control my symptoms, but They're still coming on strong about 4 hours after I stop.

I was flipping shit earlier because I only had half a beer left and it did nothing, but luckily I got a bottle of rum from my my moms bf (I've been away from home and came here because theres less alcohol, which I now believe to be a mistake). I made a large mixed drink but he could take the bottle back at any time. I said I was sick, but I didnt saw how sick I was, so I dont think they know....

tl;dr how do I effectively wean myself off booze? I'm not gonna stop completely, but I'm definately drinking less after this...

Comments

• fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    You gotta decrease your intake slowly. You cannot quit cold turkey. How much are you drinking now?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Are you talking about weaning off after this little withdrawal episode is over, or how to stop drinking during the withdrawal?

Disulfiram is a drug that helps produce an aversion to alcohol, and naloxone reduces the pleasure received from drinking. For the withdrawal, acamprosate can help reduce the effects. Of course, avoid having to use drugs to help, but if you think they would help greatly, ask your doctor about them.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm trying to just drink enough so that I don't feel like shit and possibly get some sleep. I'm talking about drinking less both during and after the withdrawal so this shit doesn't happen again...

I mean, I love to drink, and theres no way I'm gonna quit altogether, I just need to knock off the excessive drinking...
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    If you're having withdrawal, you need to cut back. Try to cut back slowly so you won't have to drink so much to feel good.
  • Bob_DoleBob_Dole Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    I watched my dad go through alcohol withdrawal, it was rough.

Do you have access to any sort of benzos or clonodine? Good luck.
  • edited January 2011
    Sounds like you're flirting with a case of the DTs. Get some benzo's to keep your GABA receptors from going wacky while you dry out. For me, the first signs that something is about to go really haywire is a feeling like constant nervous excitement, right down in my guts, then some shakes and confusion. That is about as far as I have ever lat it get without medicating in one way or another.
    I have read that symptoms can appear and worsen even if you are trying to keep up a little booze in your system. If you can't get any benzo's from your doc, try some Valerian, it will be in the herbal section if your drug store, and it works for me when I need to dry out.
    C/O
    edited January 2011
    For me, the first signs that something is about to go really haywire is a feeling like constant nervous excitement, right down in my guts, then some shakes and confusion.

This is exactly my problem. I've had valerian root before, and i might be able to get some k-pins or clonodine...
    edited January 2011
    k-pins acquired. I might make it after all...
  • edited January 2011
    k-pins acquired. I might make it after all...

Yeah, you'll be alright.
  • edited January 2011
    Keep us posted, I'm pretty interested in how this goes. After drinking consistently over christmas, I've started thinking "hey, I want a drink". This has never happened before, but I guess it's a very very mild start to an addiction - possibly the psychological part. I can see how this sort of thing turns bad very quickly.
    edited January 2011
    A bit better today, so as long as I have benzos I should be alright in a day or 2. Also finally slept. Its worse at night though so it might get shitty here in a while...
  • edited January 2011
    A bit better today, so as long as I have benzos I should be alright in a day or 2. Also finally slept. Its worse at night though so it might get shitty here in a while...

Glad you're feeling better, at least now you know how long it takes you to develop a physical addiction. I love to drink, but I don't drink everyday for this reason. I find I can get buzzed 2-3 times a week an shittered once without getting in trouble.
  • edited January 2011
    fuck the benzos, tough it out. If you'v drank so much that you're getting withdrawls trying to stop, its likely that you're keen enough on drinking that you'll be taking it up again.

Why not get used to the WD's for futures sake, rather than slaming down the benzos each time
    edited January 2011
    fuck the benzos, tough it out. If you'v drank so much that you're getting withdrawls trying to stop, its likely that you're keen enough on drinking that you'll be taking it up again.

Why not get used to the WD's for futures sake, rather than slaming down the benzos each time

Because fuck it, thats why.
  • SplamSplam Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    How long does it take from daily drinking to get alcohol withdrawel?
    edited January 2011
    Splam wrote: »
    How long does it take from daily drinking to get alcohol withdrawel?

Well, I'm 24 and I've been drinking a lot since 19, but its been almost daily since 21, but I can't really say for sure. This is the first time its happened, but this was after about a 2 week binge.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited February 2011
    I drank quite a bit in highschool. Then drank more while on base. When I finally got home for good, I drank pretty much every day for close to a year. And I don't mean just a sixer, I mean most of a bottle of liquor. I never got withdrawls though, or at least I don't think. The hangovers got incredibly severe though, probably alcohol poisoning or something. I quit drinking so much after I looked at what the hell it was doing to me socially and physically. I love my booze, but not enough to be it's bitch.

EDIT: What I actually was going to say is if you are getting withdrawals then you're going to have a hard time man. You know as well is I do, if you're getting withdrawals and not just hangovers, then you aren't just going to be able to ween yourself off of it.