Sword Play/Physical Chess

JestAJestA Regular
edited February 2011 in Man Cave
Welcome to the Blade thread. Talk about blades period. Fencing,your favorite type of blade,Knife Fighting, Etc.

I have loved objects that are sharp since about the age of 5. It eventually turned into a passion for them. Now i spend my time making,using, and Cuting Shit up with them. I also fence.
Feel free to talk about any kind of sharp objects. Arrows Javelins spears etc.
Now Talk amongst yourselfs!

Comments

• KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Fuck yeah, blades are awesome.

Giant-Knife.jpg
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    JestA wrote: »
    I also fence.

What type of fencing does thou practice? Asks Rolf.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    Big fan of gerbers and leathermans.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited January 2011
    AUS8 is my overall favorite type of steel. there are better ones out there, definitely, but AUS8 is pretty damn awesome when you take price into consideration. Pretty good for pretty much anything except woodcraft
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    Rolf wrote: »
    What type of fencing does thou practice? Asks Rolf.
    well like all fencers i practice foil. but id have to say sabre is my favoite,but epee is fun to.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    well like all fencers i practice foil. but id have to say sabre is my favoite,but epee is fun to.

Rolf agrees, sabre is the most fun form of sport fencing, followed by épée, states Rolf. Rolf also occasionally enjoys sparring with buddies of Rolf who are with the SCA, which Rolf used to be part of before growing sick of it, states Rolf. Rolf also enjoys archery and pillaging many a serving wench, states Rolf.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    So What is every 1's Fav. kind of pocket knife? I will start, my all time favorite type of pocket knife would have to be the butterfly knife. its flashy 1, 2 its quick to open, and 3 the blade is usually really thin which grants it a very sharp edge.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    Rolf agrees, sabre is the most fun form of sport fencing, followed by épée, states Rolf. Rolf also occasionally enjoys sparring with buddies of Rolf who are with the SCA, which Rolf used to be part of before growing sick of it, states Rolf. Rolf also enjoys archery and pillaging many a serving wench, states Rolf.

i was taught the art of fencing by an x Olympian named toby burns. and the last tournament i was in (about 4 years back) i placed in 2nd. but now unfortunately im in a different state and only practice by my self as there is no quality fencers were i currently am. i wish i had a sparing budy.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    I always wanted to fence because of this. . .
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    if any of you guys want cheap fencing equipment go to www.physicalchess.com you can buy the vest a foil glove and mask for about $120 on the site. a basic foil with french grip will run u about $25. its a good site for the up and coming fencer.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    i was taught the art of fencing by an x Olympian named toby burns. and the last tournament i was in (about 4 years back) i placed in 2nd. but now unfortunately im in a different state and only practice by my self as there is no quality fencers were i currently am. i wish i had a sparing budy.

Rolf has not a buddy for sport fencing, Rolf did classes for several years though. Rolf's SCA buddies tend to fight sword and shield, or two handed sword, and wearing armour, but tend to use padded or blunt swords so you don't end up injuring the other person, states Rolf.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    Rolf has not a buddy for sport fencing, Rolf did classes for several years though. Rolf's SCA buddies tend to fight sword and shield, or two handed sword, and wearing armour, but tend to use padded or blunt swords so you don't end up injuring the other person, states Rolf.

So basically your one of these faggots?:facepalm:
    moviereview-rolemodels.jpg
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    So basically your one of these faggots?:facepalm:

No, Rolf left the SCA quite a long time ago due to the stupid amounts of that, states Rolf, and was only there for three months, long enough to make a few friends who shared similar interests, finishes Rolf. When Rolf spars with said buddies, Rolf refuses to allow stupid rules and padded weapons, though quality (not butted maille) armour is worn and blades are not razor sharp, states Rolf. Most SCA "padded swords" are usually just rattan clubs with duct tape with a hilt attached, states Rolf, according to Rolf they are way too light and soft, states Rolf.

Most of the time, it is easier to have no protection and heavier training swords made of oak, states Rolf. Rolf strives for sparring that is less sportized than fencing or kendo, states Rolf. All Rolf needs to do now is find someone manly enough to box with Rolf in the manly way, that is, with caestus :angry:, states Rolf. If only Rolf had more time for such stuff in the current days, states Rolf.
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited January 2011
    Do you have any pictures of some blades that you have made?
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    vozhde wrote: »

me? if so i dont own any that i have made . i give them away as prizes or gifts.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    vozhde wrote: »

Rolf is not a blacksmith, states Rolf, for Rolf is a Grand Duke, not a blacksmith, states Rolf.
    edited January 2011
    So What is every 1's Fav. kind of pocket knife? I will start, my all time favorite type of pocket knife would have to be the butterfly knife. its flashy 1, 2 its quick to open, and 3 the blade is usually really thin which grants it a very sharp edge.

good ol' fixed blade, clip/drop pointed. yes im old fashioned
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    Good ol' Swiss army knife, states Rolf.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    Ok so what is the sword of totse? i have 2 favs the cutlass and gurka.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    Rolf's preferences go to the Shashka on horseback and the Migration Period sword on foot, provided one is using a shield. For two handed, Rolf's preference goes to the Claymore, even if it's the baby of two-handed swords, states Rolf.

But what of the axe, polearm, bow and rifle of totse.info? Asks Rolf

Rolf suggests the Francisca, pollaxe, the Hungarian Bow, and the m/96 Long Rifle, suggests Rolf.
  • edited January 2011
    Gonna sound silly to a lot of you, but as far a having a weapon and potential tool all rolled into one, gimme the Ghurka Kukri FTW....

Ghurka_Kukri.jpg

It's a nice makeshift machete if need be, and a great chopping tool...specially since the history of this blade was about lopping off appendages. Or heads. ;)

You ever have one of these in your hands, the first thing you feel is the sweet and swift weight distribution...then the next thing is how sharp a blade that thick really is. :eek:

Obviously a longer katana is better in a true dueling sense, but in terms of functionality and durability the Kukri can be a mean hombre out in the bush. Can't always get to the katana quick enough either, and if not a blade then a brick, and not a brick, then a pebble..... :cool:

Many moons ago in a wrong place/wrong time scenario, I got arrested with this little friend....

cobra_knife2.jpg

...all because the state of New Jersey believes some collector's item is a "deadly weapon". :thumbsdown:

Yeah, gimme a good blade over ballistics any day, cuz in a true Red Dawn-Mad Max scenario when the shit hits the fan for good.....sooner than later you will run out of ammo, and the longer time goes on its gonna be steel not noisemakers that rules the land. ;)
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    ^ I saw those kind of knives on some videos some time ago. They're pretty much deadly, fast, etc; all you need for a melee, short range weapon.

Personally the only kind of blades I've ever used were a shitty switchblade I lost, and a machete which I pretty much used when I went to the mountain or any surrounding area.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Something I'd like.

E_cb_18_EN_BlobMemo_1.jpg
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    Something I'd like.

E_cb_18_EN_BlobMemo_1.jpg

Thats a very nice fixed blade. i want 1!
    edited January 2011
    Ok so what is the sword of totse? i have 2 favs the cutlass and gurka.

I wouldnt go so far as to call a kukri a sword, but it is pretty good for a knife. I have the one made by Kabar and the magnum machete version by Cold Steel. I will definetly pick up the SK-5 version by cold steel eventually.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    DaGuru wrote: »
    Obviously a longer katana is better in a true dueling sense, but in terms of functionality and durability the Kukri can be a mean hombre out in the bush. Can't always get to the katana quick enough either, and if not a blade then a brick, and not a brick, then a pebble..... :cool:

No! yells Rolf, never mention the pure femininity and overrated lameness that is a katana in the presence of Rolf EVER again, demands Rolf. The best sword in "dueling sense" is one of the European dueling sword family, states Rolf.
    DaGuru wrote: »
    Yeah, gimme a good blade over ballistics any day, cuz in a true Red Dawn-Mad Max scenario when the shit hits the fan for good.....sooner than later you will run out of ammo, and the longer time goes on its gonna be steel not noisemakers that rules the land. ;)

Rolf will take both, thanks, Rolf likes blades sure, and thou always here of blade fans stating that "guns jam" or "guns run out of ammo", the fact is, states Rolf, that if they did not work efficiently enough, we would of replaced them with something efficient. That being said, knives have their uses, though not as much as movies or video games would make one believe and quite often as a tool, not a weapon, states Rolf. If Rolf had to choose a modern military knife, it would either go to the M9 bayonet or possibly the Fairbairn-Sykes, but only for history's sake, states Rolf.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited January 2011
    No! yells Rolf, never mention the pure femininity and overrated lameness that is a katana in the presence of Rolf EVER again, demands Rolf. The best sword in "dueling sense" is one of the European dueling sword family, states Rolf.

If Rolf had to choose a modern military knife, it would either go to the M9 bayonet or possibly the Fairbairn-Sykes, but only for history's sake, states Rolf.

I disagree with the first. The katana was a mean weapon. It wasn't about mass butchery for sure, but the fighting was none the less brutal. There was a strange civility to it, that combat rarely ever has.

On the second. As far as I know, my unit was one of the last ones to be issued it in the Army. As I heard they were phasing it out, as they weren't much use in modern combat as a bayonet. And just using a multitool or a supplied survival knife.

I will say, with an M4 you don't have much reach if you're trying to gore someone. And I've never known anyone to even USE one to kill. The most we used them for was prying ammo boxes, and cutting trees. The gerber was much more useful. Take it as you will however, I think with CQC, bayonet charges are over with. With 30 rounds on tap, and a new mag in under 2 seconds, your platoon would be really goddamn desperate to even try such a thing. Retreat and call in air support, seems more effective.

That's my experience however. Your mileage may vary ;)
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    acid_drop wrote: »
    I disagree with the first. The katana was a mean weapon. It wasn't about mass butchery for sure, but the fighting was none the less brutal. There was a strange civility to it, that combat rarely ever has.

The Katana wasn't so bad, just highly overrated by many, states Rolf. Apart from the archaic forging techniques (meaning it takes far too long to create a weapon of quality) and the fact that it is single edged, the katana is fairly equal to the arming sword and later the "longsword" used by European countries, states Rolf.
    On the second. As far as I know, my unit was one of the last ones to be issued it in the Army. As I heard they were phasing it out, as they weren't much use in modern combat as a bayonet. And just using a multitool or a supplied survival knife.

I will say, with an M4 you don't have much reach if you're trying to gore someone. And I've never known anyone to even USE one to kill. The most we used them for was prying ammo boxes, and cutting trees. The gerber was much more useful. Take it as you will however, I think with CQC, bayonet charges are over with. With 30 rounds on tap, and a new mag in under 2 seconds, your platoon would be really goddamn desperate to even try such a thing. Retreat and call in air support, seems more effective.

Even less reach with an F88, they're essentially only ever attached to firearms for ceremonial purposes, states Rolf or only for prying or cutting stuff, as the statement of thou stated, finishes Rolf. You're right on the CQC argument, states Rolf, in actuality, the only reason Rolf mentioned the M9 is due to the fact that apart from the M9 Rolf has never used modern military knives, explains Rolf.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited January 2011
    The M9 is a fine fighting knife. But who the fuck is going to fight with a knife these days? If I had the option of having the knife in my hand or an empty rifle- I'd take the rifle. More distance and leverage. You don't need a blade to disable someone. Humans are insanely weak animals. pop the fucker in the head or chest good and they won't be effective.

The only use we ever had for the m9 bayo was if someone was KIA and the Believers would pray when we stuck the rifle/bayo in the ground with his boots in front. I gave a Salute to a fallen Comrade. Never a prayer. That's the most brutal action our bayos ever served. There was a heartbreak when you lose a buddy, but it's not god'damn communion as far as I'm concerned. I may be a bit bitter however.
    edited January 2011
    ^^ yeah the first gun i ever held was a dainty little .22 rifle. the tip of the muzzle certainly feels solid and the whole thing has a rigid construction. it can definitely cause quite a bit of pain. not really sure how lethal it would actually be though, since it lacks any kind of penetrating ability, other than clubbing someone over the head with it repeatedly
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    acid_drop wrote: »
    The M9 is a fine fighting knife. But who the fuck is going to fight with a knife these days? If I had the option of having the knife in my hand or an empty rifle- I'd take the rifle.

This, a 3 and a half kilo club has more momentum and range than a knife, leave the fighting knives for badges and hollywood movies, states Rolf.
  • AnarchyMasterAnarchyMaster Regular
    edited February 2011
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited February 2011
    ^^^^ awsome video! i will have to look into that. and i guese you didn't go off topic as i see alot of potentialy good fighting moves in that style to be used with a blade. Cool as fuck though.