Major Earthquake [7.2] Rocks Pakistan's Rural Region

-SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
removed due to administrative censure of valid content elsewhere

Comments

• VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, all I can say is I hope Dfg is fine. Which is probably the case considering the earthquake was in a relatively remote region of Pakistan.
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited January 2011
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    Haarp

:facepalm: The sad thing is countless morons who worship Alex Jones will probably believe it really was Haarp.
  • -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited January 2011
    I always get the fleeting gut feeling that these are actually underground nuclear tests being performed.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    -SpectraL wrote: »
    I always get the fleeting gut feeling that these are actually underground nuclear tests being performed.

Wow... just, no man. No. It's called geology.
    edited January 2011
    Vizier wrote: »
    Wow... just, no man. No. It's called geology.
    Why I say that is I'm 48 years old, and never have I seen so many earthquakes happening so often. The frequency of earthquakes in Pakistan and other countries has increased at least 500% since I was a teen. Something definitely fishy going on here.
    edited January 2011
    :facepalm: The sad thing is countless morons who worship Alex Jones will probably believe it really was Haarp.

Its called speculation. The people who die-heartedly believe it was haarp are fools, but the people who consider the possibility are not so crazy. Its only a matter of time before we have the technology to manipulate the earths geological activity so whos to say we cant already do so now?
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Why I say that is I'm 48 years old, and never have I seen so many earthquakes happening so often. The frequency of earthquakes in Pakistan and other countries has increased at least 500% since I was a teen. Something definitely fishy going on here.

No, it's called communication. See nowadays anyone can know pretty much any kind of news anywhere in the world with things like internet and mass media. A lot of people think the same nowadays, thinking accidents and natural phenomena happen much more frecuently, but the thing is they seem to happen more often because they appear on the media more often.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    Vizier wrote: »
    Well, all I can say is I hope Dfg is fine.

Probably, states Rolf, as the Khanzada stated that he lives in the Pakistani part of Punjab, not Balochistan, states Rolf.
  • High-PhenatedHigh-Phenated New Arrival
    edited January 2011

No they haven't.

Q: Why are we having so many earthquakes? Has earthquake activity been increasing? Does this mean a big one is going to hit? OR We haven't had any earthquakes in a long time; does this mean that the pressure is building up?

A: Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant throughout this century and, according to our records, have actually seemed to decrease in recent years.

There are several reasons for the perception that the number of earthquakes, in general, and particularly destructive earthquakes is increasing.

1) A partial explanation may lie in the fact that in the last twenty years, we have definitely had an increase in the number of earthquakes we have been able to locate each year. This is because of the tremendous increase in the number of seismograph stations in the world and the many improvements in global communications.

In 1931, there were about 350 stations operating in the world; today, there are more that 4,000 stations and the data now comes in rapidly from these stations by telex, computer and satellite. This increase in the number of stations and the more timely receipt of data has allowed us and other seismological centers to locate many small earthquakes which were undetected in earlier years, and we are able to locate earthquakes more rapidly.

The NEIC now locates about 12,000 to 14,000 earthquakes each year or approximately 50 per day. Also, because of the improvements in communications and the increased interest in natural disasters, the public now learns about more earthquakes. According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 18 major earthquakes (7.0 - 7.9) and one great earthquake (8.0 or above) in any given year. However, let's take a look at what has happened in the past 32 years, from 1969 through 2001, so far. Our records show that 1992, and 1995-1997 were the only years that we have reached or exceeded the long-term average number of major earthquakes since 1971. In 1970 and in 1971 we had 20 and 19 major earthquakes, respectively, but in other years the total was in many cases well below the 18 per year which we may expect based on the long-term average.

2) The population at risk is increasing. While the number of large earthquakes is fairly constant, population density in earthquake-prone areas is constantly increasing. In some countries, the new construction that comes with population growth has better earthquake resistance; but in many it does not. So we are now seeing increasing casualties from the same sized earthquakes.

3) Better global communication. Just a few decades ago, if several hundred people were killed by an earthquake in Indonesia or eastern China, for example, the media in the rest of the world would not know about it until several days, to weeks, later, long after such an event would be deemed �newsworthy�. So by the time this information was available, it would probably be relegated to the back pages of the newspaper, if at all. And the public Internet didn't even exist. We are now getting this information almost immediately.

4) Earthquake clustering and human psychology. While the average number of large earthquakes per year is fairly constant, earthquakes occur in clusters. This is predicted by various statistical models, and does not imply that earthquakes that are distant in location, but close in time, are causally related. But when such clusters occur, especially when they are widely reported in the media, they are noticed. However, during the equally anomalous periods during which no destructive earthquakes occur, no one deems this as remarkable.

A temporal increase in earthquake activity does not mean that a large earthquake is about to happen. Similarly, quiescence, or the lack of seismicity, does not mean a large earthquake is going to happen. A temporary increase or decrease in the seismicity rate is usually just part of the natural variation in the seismicity. There is no way for us to know whether or not this time it will lead to a larger earthquake. Swarms of small events, especially in geothermal areas, are common, and moderate-large magnitude earthquakes will typically have an aftershock sequence that follows. All that is normal and expected earthquake activity.

US Geological Society
    edited January 2011
    mainstream duck&dive
    .... orrrr... there's many more earthquakes with much more frequency than there were 30 years ago.
    edited January 2011
    .... orrrr... there's many more earthquakes with much more frequency than there were 30 years ago.

:facepalm:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Fuck Earthquakes. Bring me the hurricanes!
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited January 2011
    Dfg wrote: »

Dammit, DFG survives another one :mad:
  • edited January 2011
    DatFuckingGuy is durable.

And I agree with Hp's post. Increased reports of earthquake activity can be explained by the increased ability to detect earquakes. Why does shit keep happening in Pakistan?, I dunno, faultlines, weather patterns, wrath of god towards Sikhs, the country is on a crossfire zone of geology, weather, and politics, so bad shit happens.

C/O
    "sorry about your one honest politician"
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Oh, it's due to the continental plates. Don't worry about it. The world will end in 2012 anyway [hopefully]

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2011ggbx.php
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011

Hurricanes are awesome. I've only been through few and they've pretty much arrived in a weakened state though, but the ominousity of the wind, the sky and the dust before it arrives, as well as the huge clouds in the horizon make you feel small.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh, it's due to the continental plates. Don't worry about it. The world will end in 2012 anyway [hopefully]

Incorrect, it's because Allah is angry for you've not killed enough Christians this year, get to work! with all due respect, states Rolf.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited January 2011
    Rolf wrote: »
    Incorrect, it's because Allah is angry for you've not killed enough Christians this year, get to work! with all due respect, states Rolf.

+1.
    edited January 2011

Or there's a 500% chance that you're fucking retarded and never know what the fuck you're talking about, but insist on posting your worthless opinion anyways.
    edited January 2011
    Or there's a 500% chance that you're fucking retarded and never know what the fuck you're talking about, but insist on posting your worthless opinion anyways.

Spectral is always retarded.
    edited January 2011
    Please stay on topic, retard. Your continual off-topic posting is getting annoying for everybody.
    edited January 2011

This. It disgusts me to know that we come from the same country.
    edited January 2011
    This. It disgusts me to know that we come from the same country.
    Interesting read...

"...between 1997 and 2007 (incl), a period of only 11 years, there were 99 earthquakes with magnitude 7.0 or greater : This is more than a six-fold increase on the previous similar period - and is a stark increase on any earlier decades in 20th century too."

http://research.dlindquist.com/quake/

http://www.earth.webecs.co.uk/
    edited January 2011
    Interesting read...

"...between 1997 and 2007 (incl), a period of only 11 years, there were 99 earthquakes with magnitude 7.0 or greater : This is more than a six-fold increase on the previous similar period - and is a stark increase on any earlier decades in 20th century too."

http://research.dlindquist.com/quake/

http://www.earth.webecs.co.uk/

Lmfao@ quoting people who base their findings on USGS research to disprove the USGS statistics.

Earthquake activity has been stable for a long time. Since 1900, there have been an average of 15 7.0-7.9 earthquakes per year, and 1 8.0 or higher. This has been relatively consistent every year since 1900. In the last 10 years there have been 166 earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or higher, consistent with the previous 10 years, in which there were over 150 7.0 earthquakes as well.
    edited January 2011
    No they haven't.

Q: Why are we having so many earthquakes? Has earthquake activity been increasing? Does this mean a big one is going to hit? OR We haven't had any earthquakes in a long time; does this mean that the pressure is building up?

A: Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant throughout this century and, according to our records, have actually seemed to decrease in recent years.

There are several reasons for the perception that the number of earthquakes, in general, and particularly destructive earthquakes is increasing.

1) A partial explanation may lie in the fact that in the last twenty years, we have definitely had an increase in the number of earthquakes we have been able to locate each year. This is because of the tremendous increase in the number of seismograph stations in the world and the many improvements in global communications.

In 1931, there were about 350 stations operating in the world; today, there are more that 4,000 stations and the data now comes in rapidly from these stations by telex, computer and satellite. This increase in the number of stations and the more timely receipt of data has allowed us and other seismological centers to locate many small earthquakes which were undetected in earlier years, and we are able to locate earthquakes more rapidly.

The NEIC now locates about 12,000 to 14,000 earthquakes each year or approximately 50 per day. Also, because of the improvements in communications and the increased interest in natural disasters, the public now learns about more earthquakes. According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 18 major earthquakes (7.0 - 7.9) and one great earthquake (8.0 or above) in any given year. However, let's take a look at what has happened in the past 32 years, from 1969 through 2001, so far. Our records show that 1992, and 1995-1997 were the only years that we have reached or exceeded the long-term average number of major earthquakes since 1971. In 1970 and in 1971 we had 20 and 19 major earthquakes, respectively, but in other years the total was in many cases well below the 18 per year which we may expect based on the long-term average.

2) The population at risk is increasing. While the number of large earthquakes is fairly constant, population density in earthquake-prone areas is constantly increasing. In some countries, the new construction that comes with population growth has better earthquake resistance; but in many it does not. So we are now seeing increasing casualties from the same sized earthquakes.

3) Better global communication. Just a few decades ago, if several hundred people were killed by an earthquake in Indonesia or eastern China, for example, the media in the rest of the world would not know about it until several days, to weeks, later, long after such an event would be deemed �newsworthy�. So by the time this information was available, it would probably be relegated to the back pages of the newspaper, if at all. And the public Internet didn't even exist. We are now getting this information almost immediately.

4) Earthquake clustering and human psychology. While the average number of large earthquakes per year is fairly constant, earthquakes occur in clusters. This is predicted by various statistical models, and does not imply that earthquakes that are distant in location, but close in time, are causally related. But when such clusters occur, especially when they are widely reported in the media, they are noticed. However, during the equally anomalous periods during which no destructive earthquakes occur, no one deems this as remarkable.

A temporal increase in earthquake activity does not mean that a large earthquake is about to happen. Similarly, quiescence, or the lack of seismicity, does not mean a large earthquake is going to happen. A temporary increase or decrease in the seismicity rate is usually just part of the natural variation in the seismicity. There is no way for us to know whether or not this time it will lead to a larger earthquake. Swarms of small events, especially in geothermal areas, are common, and moderate-large magnitude earthquakes will typically have an aftershock sequence that follows. All that is normal and expected earthquake activity.

US Geological Society

This makes a lot of sense. Im going with this.

I still think its possible that in the future we will be able to manipulate the weather and earths geological activity.
    edited January 2011
    Lmfao@ quoting people who base their findings on USGS research to disprove the USGS statistics.

Earthquake activity has been stable for a long time. Since 1900, there have been an average of 15 7.0-7.9 earthquakes per year, and 1 8.0 or higher. This has been relatively consistent every year since 1900. In the last 10 years there have been 166 earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or higher, consistent with the previous 10 years, in which there were over 150 7.0 earthquakes as well.
    Sorry... I forgot to include pictures for those who can't read. My bad.

graph.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Sorry... I forgot to include pictures for those who can't read. My bad.

graph.jpg

Funny, the USGS(the people they use as a reference) charts look nothing like that.

USGS> Retards like you.
    edited January 2011
    Funny, the USGS(the people they use as a reference) charts look nothing like that.

USGS> Retards like you.
    That's simply because this information was provided by the USGS before the disinformation campaign started.
    edited January 2011
    That's simply because this information was provided by the USGS before the disinformation campaign started.

What disinformation campaign?:rolleyes:
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Spectral, you're starting to sound like ate man. There have always been earthquakes, there will always be earthquakes and disasters and shit as long as the earth is alive. Why make such a big deal out of it?

Stop sounding like a conspiracy nut.
    edited January 2011
    What disinformation campaign?:rolleyes:
    Well, I will be very glad to spell it out for you. Unbeknownst to the complacent and blinded takers in this world, Satan the devil is actually the supreme ruler of this system of things, and he has an apportioned time period to play his game his way to see how it turns out. You have to keep that fixed firmly in mind as you take in the much larger picture here. Satan does not want people to see the End coming. He doesn't want people to take heed of prophecy... prophecy which has ALWAYS proved to be correct in every single instance. Oh, no. He wants people to continue on in their tireless track toward self-destruction, and it's the furthest thing from his mind to draw attention to the very words of the Son of God. And so, what once was truth has now become clouded... has now become construed... has now become conflictual. It didn't really matter before, because the End was well off in the distance, but now it does. To Satan, this is a War. It is a war of his company and his might against all of humanity. It is his playing field, for a little while longer, and it does not belong to the Creator to prevent any of it, for a little while longer. You ever hear that wise old saying, "Don't believe everything you hear."? Well... ya. The Father of Lies. The Great Deceiver. He spoke through the snake to Eve in the Garden. He is a Great Master of deception. All hail The King.