Gaining cash from keylogging?

Hellz-FuryHellz-Fury Regular
edited November 2011 in Man Cave
Say someone was to keylog someone's computer and obtained their PayPal account information and a few e-mails. If this person went to another computer not connected to them and sent an e-mail to their own e-mail from the victims saying "Ah here's the money for blahblahblah". Then the person proceeds to login to the PayPal and sends money to his account from the victims, sends an e-mail back saying thank you and all that good shit.

I think this could work, the person can't really prove you did shit, as long as you have all your illegal shit on your computer locked down, or use a second computer that you keep hidden.

Lack of logs from keylogger on computer, e-mail conversations, etc.

Am I missing something here? Help me arrest proof this.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    I'm pretty sure this would fail. The person would launch an investigation into the matter through paypal (who crack down on this shit like there's no tomorrow), who would then probably trace it back to your paypal account, the IP address you used, etc.

If that fails and the person can prove that they did in fact lose money, PayPal would probably reverse the transfer.
  • Hellz-FuryHellz-Fury Regular
    edited January 2011
    It would be from a different IP, so they can't prove it was you. When they file a compliant you screenshot the staged e-mails and send to PayPal saying you think they are trying to scam you.

Everything staged for victim would be from a different IP, everything staged from you would be from your computer.

Word against word.
  • edited January 2011
    People have false perceptions of and overestimate these organisation's ability (and willingness) to trace and prosecute fraudsters. Do you really think they have the capacity to go all James Bond on every one of the tens of thousands of petty scammers out there? Less than 1% (according the FBI's cybercrime division) of internet fraud is ever successfully followed up upon and brought to prosecution.

Sources: many years in the business and plain common sense.

OP; go for it, but I hope you realise that this stuff is actually a fair bit harder than the media makes it out to be. There are hundreds of little things you need to know about the various payment services, how they work on a technical level etc.
  • edited January 2011
    Do we have any guides on cleaning out a Paypal account? Or were they on tM?

They'd be pretty handy.
  • -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited January 2011
    The major is issue with this is the drop spot. You need a place where you can send goods/money where it can't be traced back to you, and that's not an easy thing to come by in this day and age. Getting the info isn't hard, but making proper use of it will be. Even if you have complete control of the guy's PayPal, bank account, e-mail accounts and Internet connection, it can still all be traced back to you... Tor or no. You need some kind of anonymous physical location where you can send all those goodies after they are converted from cash.
  • susansusan Semo-Regulars
    edited September 2011
    Hellz-Fury wrote: »
    Say someone was to keylog someone's computer and obtained their PayPal account information and a few e-mails. If this person went to another computer not connected to them and sent an e-mail to their own e-mail from the victims saying "Ah here's the money for blahblahblah". Then the person proceeds to login to the PayPal and sends money to his account from the victims, sends an e-mail back saying thank you and all that good shit.

I think this could work, the person can't really prove you did shit, as long as you have all your illegal shit on your computer locked down, or use a second computer that you keep hidden.

Lack of logs from keylogger on computer, e-mail conversations, etc.

Am I missing something here? Help me arrest proof this.
    trx100 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this would fail. The person would launch an investigation into the matter through paypal (who crack down on this shit like there's no tomorrow), who would then probably trace it back to your paypal account, the IP address you used, etc.

If that fails and the person can prove that they did in fact lose money, PayPal would probably reverse the transfer.
    I agree with trx100, if this works, then the world will fill with criminals.
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited September 2011
    susan wrote: »
    I agree with trx100, if this works, then the world will fill with criminals.

mfw the world is filled with criminals.
  • edited September 2011
    Paco wrote: »
    mfw the world is filled with criminals.

mfw there is no face there
    edited September 2011
    mfw you don't always need to put a face.

I do it all the time.
  • edited October 2011
    Paco wrote: »
    mfw you don't always need to put a face.

I do it all the time.

MFW = MY FACE WHEN.

HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT YOUR FACE IS - THE WHOLE POINT IS YOU PUT A FACE; THERE IS NO POINT OTHERWISE!!!!
    edited November 2011
    I know it means my face when, but you don't always put a face. It's more of a general response to something surprising.

Back on thread topic.

OP, would the money be coming straight from the paypal account or is it connected to a bank account or credit card? Does the account belong to a large company, a small company or just an individual person?
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2011
    The weakest point is when you log in to the the victims paypal. They can work out the location from the IP. If the guy can prove that he was't anywhere near the IP address - you'll be caught.

Does paypal have security token authentication ? They should at least have SMS confirmation.