Grits as mushroom substrate.

proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
edited December 2010 in Man Cave
Obviously it can only be confirmed--or denied-- to work by trying it, but I'm probably going to...anybody have reason to believe it wouldn't work?

Comments

• proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited December 2010
    I meant for growing...hah
    edited December 2010
    Seriously, nobody wanna give me an opinion?

bibbity, bobbity, BUMP
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited December 2010
    Just use BRF
  • edited December 2010
    As long as you don't cut it with fat, oil, grease, etc. any corn based medium, if properly sterilized, could work. Grains are usually used for transfers not bulk grows, so grinding it up kinda defeats the purpose. Just use BRF if G2G transfers are too complicated/labor intensive; it's simple and less time consuming.
    edited December 2010
    I was thinking semi-bulk(like 1 cubic foot). Could you recommend anything that doesn't smell TERRIBLE? That's my dillemma.
  • edited December 2010
    proudclod9 wrote: »
    I was thinking semi-bulk(like 1 cubic foot). Could you recommend anything that doesn't smell TERRIBLE? That's my dillemma.

Would you care to define terrible? Corn/popcorn doesn't smell too bad imo when canned/autoclaved in a jar. BRF and corn are probably your best bets when it comes to smell. Wild Bird seed (mostly oats, millet, rye; NO NUTS/PROTEIN/FATS) smells nearly bad, if not worse than BRF cake mix. And I don't think you are too into pasteurizing bulk-dung substrates. Maybe ask someone here. Pretty much any substrate I can think of is going to smell kinda funky.
    edited December 2010
    okay, will do. Thanks.