Feeling Detached From Reality

edited December 2010 in Life
Just lately I've been feeling totally spaced out, not "with it" at all. It's kind of annoying, and it's also messing with my life a little too (failed my driving test because I was really not with it).

Anyway, I Googled a little bit and found this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization_disorder

It doesn't seem to be quite as extreme as this, although it's a frequent occurance. Does anyone else have any experience with this sort of thing, or have any idea of how I could overcome it?

I was thinking about doing some psychological things to trick myself into thinking straight, such as improving my diet so I'd feel more healthy and more on the ball. Might give these a shot, but I thought I'd ask Totse first :D

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited December 2010
    This is pretty vague, so more information would help, including:

Age?
    Stress level and factors causing stress?
    Field of study?
    Drug usage?

And any other info you think would be useful.
  • edited December 2010
    General Info
    • 17, almost 18.
    • Pretty much no stress at all, I'm chilled as fuck about everything.
    • If by field of study, you mean the subject I'm most interested in at school - IT, computer security, hacking.
    • Smoked weed a few times, not since the Summer though. I occasionally drink, but only at parties or other social gatherings. I don't smoke, and my caffeine intake is very low. Interestingly, I had a cup of coffee earlier and I seemed to perk up a little.

Diet

My diet is fairly decent, although I'm lacking in fruit intake. I don't eat breakfast during the week as I don't have the time, although I eat it at weekends. My average meal plan is as follows...

No breakfast
    Cheese sandwiches for lunch, accompanied by a packet of potato chips and a chocolate bar. Sometimes I eat a sausage roll and a chocolate-oat slice.
    My dinner is different each day, but it usually contains meat, potato and vegetables (nothing bad there). I also drink a fair bit of water, so my hydration level is fairly average.

Exercise

I don't do a lot of exercise.

Other

Nothing else to note really, except this happens fairly frequently and I'm not sure what triggers it. I'm also going to use this thread as a diary, so I can keep track of what I feel like during the day.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited December 2010
    Lay off the drugs
    edited December 2010
    The diary would be good. From what you've said, you seem like the average teenager. Might be the higher frequency of zoning out common at your age, but hard to say :o
  • AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
    edited December 2010
    Try to just keep busy and have fun. Hang out with friends more often. Play some sports (if you like them). It doesn't seem like you are depressed or really stressed out with is a major cause of things like this.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited December 2010
    I had that before. It goes away in a month or so.
  • edited December 2010
    I also think that getting off the computer once in a while might be a good idea. I feel a little better when I'm not constantly staring at a screen.

Thanks for your input guys. Totse FTW.
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited December 2010
    Don't fap. Exercise. and just do your thing.
    edited December 2010
    proudclod9 wrote: »
    Don't fap. Exercise. and just do your thing.

contradict.jpg
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited December 2010
    hahaha well played Mayberry
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited December 2010
    I've had that problem way back/ I think I was 17 - 20. I just talked with a trusted friend (at the time) about it, and that was pretty much it. I believe I called it "feeling fake". Just do what I did, and you'll be fine.
  • edited December 2010
    Today wasn't so bad at all. I had a really bad sleep last night, but I'm feeling pretty good right now and I have been all day. I have no idea what really starts it all off though.

Haven't eaten much today, I'm fuckin' starving. I think it's time for some cereal!
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited December 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Today wasn't so bad at all. I had a really bad sleep last night, but I'm feeling pretty good right now and I have been all day. I have no idea what really starts it all off though.

Haven't eaten much today, I'm fuckin' starving. I think it's time for some cereal!

If it does start again, check your heart rate. The faster your heart beats, the more oxygen you need and it might possibly be a lack of oxygen. Do you ever find your heart racing for different things? Like, being excited?