Nightvison and thermal scopes

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited January 2011 in Man Cave
Nightvison and thermal scopes for your gun: http://www.atncorp.com/

Quite a selection, though I can't afford them.

Comments

• duuudeduuude Regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd like to have these

ATN PS15-CGT
    middle.png
  • 5.56 SS1095.56 SS109 Regular
    edited January 2011
    ATN stuff is mostly all junk.

The MK-350 is decent for $400, but that's about it.

The least expensive NOD worth getting is the old school AN/PVS-2.

It is outdated and gigantic, but it will last way longer than ATN stuff.

Also Israeli Surplus AN/PVS-5 and AN/PVS-7 goggles can be had for relatively cheap.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited January 2011
    The GenIV stuff we carried was nice, but keeping enough juice for them around, was a royal pain in the asshole.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    There's actually no such thing as gen 4. They just take a gen 3 an remove the filter that blocks too much light, then put an LCD in front. Instead of blocking light continuously it only blocks light when it's too bright.
    edited January 2011
    spazz wrote: »
    I always wanted a device like binoculars, but with little or no zoom. And a BIG front lense just to collect extra light.

It's called a moon glass.

"so if you only has 2x zoom that would give you 20x the light into your eyes, get it?"

Actually, if the aperture stayed the same size, you would have less light. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number
    edited January 2011
    spazz wrote: »
    I always wanted a device like binoculars, but with little or no zoom. And a BIG front lense just to collect extra light.

The reason i think this is feasible was i used a $800 pair of binoculars once they were like 40x with 3" front lenses and when i used them at night they looked brighter then using my naked eye! so if you only has 2x zoom that would give you 20x the light into your eyes, get it?

Yeah when it comes to cheaper Gen 1 units, it is best to get a pair with little or no magnification.

Mainly because increasing the zoom makes imperfections in the image more apparent and it also amplifies the "fish eye" effect apparent on some early units.

The best modular unit that I am aware of is called the ITT AN/PVS-14.

It can be head mounted, put behind a red dot sight, or put in front of a rifle scope to give you Generation 3 night vision capability.

They cost about $4,000, but there is nothing like them anywhere else.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    I think these are pretty useless for the average person to have. Unless your in combat, I don't know when you'd use these.
    edited January 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    I think these are pretty useless for the average person to have. Unless your in combat, I don't know when you'd use these.

Night hunting? It's illegal but no cop is going to be roaming the woods at night.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited January 2011
    I personally think it's a real pain in the ass to fire anything using nods. They always get in the way for me.
    edited January 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »

Kind of.

But think of a situation like hurricane Katrina with all of the riots and looting afterward.

Would it have been a bad thing to have the ability to defend yourself at night?
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    5.56 SS109 wrote: »
    ATN stuff is mostly all junk.

The MK-350 is decent for $400, but that's about it.

The least expensive NOD worth getting is the old school AN/PVS-2.

It is outdated and gigantic, but it will last way longer than ATN stuff.

Also Israeli Surplus AN/PVS-5 and AN/PVS-7 goggles can be had for relatively cheap.

I'm sure you also need the highest end night vision gear right to go along with your FBI specified guns and rounds even though chances are you'll never even see combat:rolleyes:
    edited January 2011
    I'm sure you also need the highest end night vision gear right to go along with your FBI specified guns and rounds even though chances are you'll never even see combat:rolleyes:

Where are your suggestions?

Where is you input?

What experience do you have with nightvision at all?

I never said a damn thing about needing the most expensive gear, I said that ATN gear is usually lower quality (made in Belarus) and will not last as long as a quality made USGI surplus unit like the PVS-2. Even if you only have a NV scope on a rifle for hunting varmints at night, you wouldn't want a low quality unit that would fail easily and end your hunting trip would you?

You are way out of your league and you have no ability to offer valid input at all.

So I suggest that you stop posting until a question comes along that you can answer.

Maybe if someone asked what kind of nightvision Captain Soap used in COD4 you would be an expert on the subject, but other than that you are hopeless.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    If there were a hurricane katrina situation with rioting and looting, I'd be far more concerned with finding food and water rather than shooting people from long distances at night. Now if you wanted to gather food and water at night, having night vision would help, but you'd still probably get raped by the niggas.
    edited January 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    If there were a hurricane katrina situation with rioting and looting, I'd be far more concerned with finding food and water rather than shooting people from long distances at night. Now if you wanted to gather food and water at night, having night vision would help, but you'd still probably get raped by the niggas.

You would figure the people who have nightvision are already squared away on bulk food with a long shelf life.

I was mainly referring to the PVS-14 as being useful in that situation, as oppose to a dedicated night scope.

It has no magnification and can be mounted on your head so you can operate inside your house without using flashlights or candles or anything else that would draw attention.

It's not really about shooting people at all.
    edited January 2011
    Well that'd be fairly useful, but I imagine it would eat batteries pretty quickly.
    edited January 2011
    Well that'd be fairly useful, but I imagine it would eat batteries pretty quickly.

Not sure about battery life, but being able to see when others can't is extremely advantageous.

However in a "disaster preparedness" conversation, I would say that nightvision should be the last piece of gear anyone should acquire.

Food and water aside (most important prep period)

Guns and ammo are top gear priority, a quality defensive rifle and about 2,000 rounds for it (not Wolf ammo) should be the first thing to acquire, then branch out to pistols and maybe a shotgun.

Body armor is second.

Night-vision equipment is third.

And of course factoring generators and fuel into that would be a good idea as well.
    edited January 2011
    There's actually no such thing as gen 4. They just take a gen 3 an remove the filter that blocks too much light, then put an LCD in front. Instead of blocking light continuously it only blocks light when it's too bright.

THEY LIED TO MEEE!!!! :angry: haha. Oh well. I didn't ask too many questions about them. Other than HOW MUCH BATTERY ME NEED? Answer "you won't find that many" :o

We used the PVS-14, and some "newer" unit that I don't remember much of. It was nice to take the heavy bastard off your helmet and just slap it on your rifle though.
    5.56 SS109 wrote:
    Not sure about battery life, but being able to see when others can't is extremely advantageous.

Horrible is the battery life. Always.

And yes, that's why we hardly ever moved in the day time in Afghanistan. Always at night. They can't see us well enough to set off IED's, and if we get in a fire fight, they don't hardly know what hit 'em by the time the first gun opens up.
    5.56 SS109 wrote:
    However in a "disaster preparedness" conversation, I would say that nightvision should be the last piece of gear anyone should acquire.

I would say that you really shouldn't even worry about it. At 4-7 grand, there are much better places to spend that money. People really think too much that they are rambo. You going to carry 2,000 rounds of rifle ammunition on your back? I'm sure as fuck not.

Is your entire plan in a "disaster" to go on a killing spree? I see no real point to get 15 guns and thousands of rounds of ammo for each, for a disaster preparedness situation. Your people's fantasies are just absurd.
    edited January 2011
    acid_drop wrote: »
    I would say that you really shouldn't even worry about it. At 4-7 grand, there are much better places to spend that money. People really think too much that they are rambo. You going to carry 2,000 rounds of rifle ammunition on your back? I'm sure as fuck not.

Is your entire plan in a "disaster" to go on a killing spree? I see no real point to get 15 guns and thousands of rounds of ammo for each, for a disaster preparedness situation. Your people's fantasies are just absurd.

Everything you just accused me of saying, I didn't say.

I NEVER said night vision was a necessity, just that if someone is squared away everywhere else and they have the money, it couldn't hurt.

Please point out where I said someone needs 15 guns ALSO please point out where I said someone should carry their 2,000 rounds.

And while we are at it, please point out where I advised people to engage in firefights.

The 2,000 rounds is just a good amount to have on hand so they will actually be able to shoot and practice with their firearms (something that the vast majority of people on this forum don't seem to do).

2,000 is a good number because it will allow you to shoot 100 rounds or so every month without completely depleting your ammunition stock.

It is also good to buy ammo bulk RIGHT NOW while it cheap. Remember last year when you couldn't touch Russian crap for under 50-cents a round?

Probably not, because I doubt you people even shoot your guns so you wouldn't know anything about ammo prices.
    edited January 2011
    I have over 9000 rounds right now.
    edited January 2011
    I shoot my guns. More so when it's not 0F outside.

Regardless. I thought you were on a tangent about how guns are the most important thing when a disaster happens. That's generally why I stay away from gun forums, and rednecks. Gung-ho isn't the way to go.
    edited January 2011
    I have over 9000 rounds right now.

I only have about 200 rounds left of .45. Shit got EXPENSIVE.

Ass ton of .22.

I have a few different boxes of .223 and 5.56 laying around though. Need to get my AR built so I can stock up on whatever it likes. And a shit ton of wolf cause I'm not a pussy :o
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    Everything you just accused me of saying, I didn't say.

I NEVER said night vision was a necessity, just that if someone is squared away everywhere else and they have the money, it couldn't hurt.

Please point out where I said someone needs 15 guns ALSO please point out where I said someone should carry their 2,000 rounds.

And while we are at it, please point out where I advised people to engage in firefights.

The 2,000 rounds is just a good amount to have on hand so they will actually be able to shoot and practice with their firearms (something that the vast majority of people on this forum don't seem to do).

2,000 is a good number because it will allow you to shoot 100 rounds or so every month without completely depleting your ammunition stock.

It is also good to buy ammo bulk RIGHT NOW while it cheap. Remember last year when you couldn't touch Russian crap for under 50-cents a round?

Probably not, because I doubt you people even shoot your guns so you wouldn't know anything about ammo prices.

Actually I do shoot my guns often. I live in a rural area so I shoot whenever I can afford ammo.
    edited January 2011
    so I shoot whenever I can afford ammo.

That is what I was on about.

I choose to buy it in bulk so I don't have to wait.

The CMMG .22 kit for my ARs also gives me a TON of trigger time on them for cheap.

It paid for itself in the first 500 rounds of .22 rimfire.
    edited January 2011
    That is what I was on about.

I choose to buy it in bulk so I don't have to wait.

The CMMG .22 kit for my ARs also gives me a TON of trigger time on them for cheap.

It paid for itself in the first 500 rounds of .22 rimfire.

Do you just have the bolt group/extractor, or the entire upper? I want the upper, but don't want to pay for it :o
    edited January 2011
    acid_drop wrote: »
    Do you just have the bolt group/extractor, or the entire upper? I want the upper, but don't want to pay for it :o

Just the bolt carrier group.

I chose that over the upper so I would be able to just drop it in and use the optics I have mounted.

The point of impact is close enough to punch paper plates and ding steel at 50 yards.

The 1/7 twist doesn't help accuracy though, as 36gr and 40gr projectiles don't stabilize in it.

I got it from Midwest Industries for $135 shipped, it is the best price I could find.

It also works perfectly with the notched hammer in my one AR, so I'm not sure what the "will not work with notched hammers" disclaimer is all about.