Bulking

AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
edited January 2011 in Life
Time to start bulking again. I want to hopefully gain 10-15 pounds and of that I would be ecstatic if 5-10 pounds was lean muscle. I'm shooting for around 6 pounds of lean muscle.

This will be done all naturally with the exceptions of mass gainers, kre-alkyline creatine, and a ton of hard work and hours in the gym. I want this to be a decently clean bulk so my diet will be semi strict and overall healthy. I am going to try and intake 200+ grams of protein a day and throw in vegetables, some complex carbs and fiber. I will be intaking about 1,500 to 2,000 more calories than i already do in 4-6 smaller meals a day.

My work out routine will consist of a 4 day split schedule. I will be going heavy with the weights with a 12-10-8 pyramid scheme on most exercises, but some will vary. I have to make sure I hit the squat rack hard and get in some good sets.

Critique anything and give some tips or advice. If you are interesting in bulking or just gaining some weight just ask and I might be able to help you with some tips. :thumbsup:

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    I will add more later, but I need to sleep now.

Watch this in the mean time: http://www.wimp.com/guyreturns/
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited December 2010
    Throw some pro-hormones in the mix, and you'll be set. ;)

Could you elaborate on your diet? What foods will you eat that you don't eat during cutting cycles?
  • stresstres Regular
    edited December 2010
    I want to hopefully gain 10-15 pounds and of that I would be ecstatic if 5-10 pounds was lean muscle

I'll definitely join you in this goal :thumbsup:
    200+ g/protein; what’s your major source? Also what will be your total cal count p.day? It's funny you should make this thread A/E, I've only just overcome my first plateau (result from high volume/over training) and already starting to gain again. With the pyramid loading, I usually reserve 12reps for warm ups and my heavy set on all exercises is 6 reps, should I change this to match you? is heavy on 8 better?

Also are you using any overload techniques? I emphasise negatives on almost every set and so far it seems to be more effective then a standard tempo.
  • AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
    edited December 2010
    Gallows wrote: »
    Throw some pro-hormones in the mix, and you'll be set. ;)

Could you elaborate on your diet? What foods will you eat that you don't eat during cutting cycles?

Haha nah bro I'm good on the pro-hormones Cough STEROIDS Cough, for now. I want to go all naturally for as long as i can until my testosterone levels are so low that i really do need them.

As for dieting I believe in doing "clean" bulks and eating healthy, just intake of more calories. (carbs mostly)

As for cutting I try and cut out most of the carbs after noon and cut back on the calories but I still try and eat 4-6 meals a day. My diets aren't set in stone because some days you just don't have the time or food to do it, but that is what I try to do.

A typical day would consist of
    Meal 1= oatmeal and protein shake, or protein bar
    Meal 2= chicken, rice, whatever veggies i have
    Meal 3= post work out mass gainer/ fruit/ nuts/
    Meal 4=whatever I have for dinner
    Meal 5= fruit or nuts or something small and simple
    Meal 6= protein shake or trail mix before bed

That is on a perfect day when I have time to plan everything out.
    edited December 2010
    stres wrote: »
    I'll definitely join you in this goal :thumbsup:
    200+ g/protein; what’s your major source? Also what will be your total cal count p.day? It's funny you should make this thread A/E, I've only just overcome my first plateau (result from high volume/over training) and already starting to gain again. With the pyramid loading, I usually reserve 12reps for warm ups and my heavy set on all exercises is 6 reps, should I change this to match you? is heavy on 8 better?

Also are you using any overload techniques? I emphasise negatives on almost every set and so far it seems to be more effective then a standard tempo.

My last "bulk" I did the same and ended with 6 reps with my sets, I will be doing that with some exercises but most will end with 8. Everyone's body is different and i want to see how my body reacts with this. By overload techniques do you mean by going to failure? On some major exercises I will go to failure and have 1 or 2 forced reps with a spotter but IMO anything over that is just pointless.

Doing the right technique and posture on all exercises are important, emphasizing on the negatives (by going slow right?) and "exploding" on the positives makes me feel like I work my muscles more, but like I've said many times before everyone's body is different and reacts and works in different ways.

My major sources of protein will be my mass gainer, and some meat. Nuts are great for snacks also. Real food is better than shakes so remember that, but it is very hard to take in that amount of protein from just eating meat.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited December 2010
    by overload techniques do you mean by going to failure? On some major exercises I will go to failure and have 1 or 2 forced reps with a spotter but IMO anything over that is just pointless.

Yeah dude, forced reps, drop sets, negatives - shit like that. On most compounds I usually add forced sets with help from my spot and with negatives, yeah exactly what you explained. I usually use 1:0:4 tempo (1second concentric, 0 second hold, 4 second eccentric) and I really do believe them to be effective the only problem is I can't handle moderation and always over do it :facepalm:

About the protein intake, i add protein to every meal - is it worth calculating and tracking ? or should I just be entirely sure that I am always anabolic ?

thx doood! :thumbsup:
    edited December 2010
    stres wrote: »
    Yeah dude, forced reps, drop sets, negatives - shit like that. On most compounds I usually add forced sets with help from my spot and with negatives, yeah exactly what you explained. I usually use 1:0:4 tempo (1second concentric, 0 second hold, 4 second eccentric) and I really do believe them to be effective the only problem is I can't handle moderation and always over do it :facepalm:

About the protein intake, i add protein to every meal - is it worth calculating and tracking ? or should I just be entirely sure that I am always anabolic ?

thx doood! :thumbsup:

I don't track protein down to the gram, some people like to, but I try and keep a rough estimate in my mind close to the amount I want to intake. Such as a chicken breast of a decent size is around 30g of protein, I like nice round easy numbers to use. :thumbsup:

Yeah over training is a common thing. Sometimes taking that day off or even a week off after hitting the gym hard for a couple months helps a lot for your body to recover.
  • speedfeedspeedfeed New Arrival
    edited January 2011
    I think your plan seems pretty solid, the two things I know about bulking especially when your hard gainer like me is to make sure not to overwork a muscle group even if it feels alright. Only work a muscle group once a week no matter how you feel. Diet is the most important thing for bulking, eating enough calories and eating enough protein. I take 1.5 grams per pound of body weight. I've heard different opinions about doing the 6 small meals, and I think that's probably the best way just because it's hard to get enough calories from 3 large meals, although I've seen research claiming that many small meals are no better for bulking than say 3 big ones (Having the same nutrient content). Many people are against steroids because they think its cheating, now maybe it is, and I can say I probably started taking steroids too early without reaching my natural limit, but they do work and the work awesome. I don't believe they are anywhere as bad as many people make them out to be, they just plain don't cause all the health problems that opponents claim. When I went on my first steroid cycle I gained 30 solid lbs of muscle and I did correct post cycle therapy and kept 25 lbs of it.
    edited January 2011
    speedfeed wrote: »
    I think your plan seems pretty solid, the two things I know about bulking especially when your hard gainer like me is to make sure not to overwork a muscle group even if it feels alright. Only work a muscle group once a week no matter how you feel. Diet is the most important thing for bulking, eating enough calories and eating enough protein. I take 1.5 grams per pound of body weight. I've heard different opinions about doing the 6 small meals, and I think that's probably the best way just because it's hard to get enough calories from 3 large meals, although I've seen research claiming that many small meals are no better for bulking than say 3 big ones (Having the same nutrient content). Many people are against steroids because they think its cheating, now maybe it is, and I can say I probably started taking steroids too early without reaching my natural limit, but they do work and the work awesome. I don't believe they are anywhere as bad as many people make them out to be, they just plain don't cause all the health problems that opponents claim. When I went on my first steroid cycle I gained 30 solid lbs of muscle and I did correct post cycle therapy and kept 25 lbs of it.

I don't look at steroids as cheating in any way. If that what it takes for someone to get bigger than all the power to them. I have not met my potential naturally yet. Your body isn't biologically inclined to take on much muscle in such a short period of time. Sure you won't lose those gains in a couple of months, maybe not even in a few years but the day that you stop juicing your body will go back to what it can handle naturally. Working hard with the right diet is the most beneficial for younger weight lifters such as myself. Steroids effects are very over exaggerated in the media, but at young ages they can really mess you up.

And once you pop, you don't stop. Just one more cycle, just one more cycle than I'm done. I'm going going to do once cycle and get big, than another cycle happens and another until you cause self destruction because of how well steroids do work when taken properly. Once you get older and lose natural testosterone I understand why people take them because they can not naturally achieve the muscle gains that younger people can make.
    No matter if you juice or not, It all takes a lot of work and dedication to body build.
  • speedfeedspeedfeed New Arrival
    edited January 2011
    I don't look at steroids as cheating in any way. If that what it takes for someone to get bigger than all the power to them. I have not met my potential naturally yet. Your body isn't biologically inclined to take on much muscle in such a short period of time. Sure you won't lose those gains in a couple of months, maybe not even in a few years but the day that you stop juicing your body will go back to what it can handle naturally. Working hard with the right diet is the most beneficial for younger weight lifters such as myself. Steroids effects are very over exaggerated in the media, but at young ages they can really mess you up.

And once you pop, you don't stop. Just one more cycle, just one more cycle than I'm done. I'm going going to do once cycle and get big, than another cycle happens and another until you cause self destruction because of how well steroids do work when taken properly. Once you get older and lose natural testosterone I understand why people take them because they can not naturally achieve the muscle gains that younger people can make.
    No matter if you juice or not, It all takes a lot of work and dedication to body build.

Haha, I definitely agree with what your saying. Especially about "once you pop, you don't stop", I think it's pretty common with most steroid users, it's hard to go off when you can build that much more muscle when on them, you feel better and now days they're so cheap that anyone with a minimum wage job can pretty much buy a years supply at a time. I really hate when people try to say that their better somehow because they didn't take steroids to get where they are. Some of these skinny people don't understand that it still takes tons of hard work, right workouts and the right diet before your really going to be big. A skinny wimp on juice is going to stay that way, if your already doing things right then you'll get bigger.