Ban Failtrolls?

fanglekaifanglekai Regular
edited January 2011 in Help and Suggestions
So, what does the community think about banning failtrolls? They contribute nothing, derail threads, and spam up discussions with garbage posts.

Should they be banned?
Should mods unapprove their posts?
Should their failtrolling constitute free speech and they be left to post as they please?

This is something that needs to be addressed while the community is young and we have relatively few failtrolls. I don't want to see this place become full of trolls and garbage, but at the same time there need to be clear cut rules.

Comments

• JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    yes definitely. they clog up alot of good thread space.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    Make a trashcan and move their posts there. This way threads aren't derailed and their free speech isn't infringed.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    We have not in my forum, but that's more for threads. We could have a trash thread in each forum, but that's another sticky thread showing up. It's definitely an option to consider, but I'd prefer unapproving their posts.
  • edited January 2011
    Yes imitate Zoklet, that will get you far.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    That's essentially what the unnaprove post option is for mods. We just unapprove it and it shows up as deleted but all user's post counts remain the same and a mod can bring it back anytime.

No, if the post is no longer visible, free speech is infringed. Post count doesn't = free speech. Make a trashcan forum, no need for sticky threads taking up space in specialty forums. The especially troublesome users get their own thread in the trashcan where all their shitposts get moved to.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    I guess we can deal with failtrolls that a majority of people agree on.
  • edited January 2011
    :mad::mad::mad: I motion that we ban Vineman. :mad::mad::mad:
    edited January 2011
    Moving useless shit to a community garbage thread would be nice. It's just as easy as unapproving the post and then whatever the user typed is still around for viewing.
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, it would get us a forum without your useless trolling, LouisCypher/Wires Dead Baby/Big Bear +POZ+.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Vineman wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad: I motion that we ban Vineman. :mad::mad::mad:

Seconded, that guy is a faggot :mad:
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    At first I thought banning would be the best way but I think it would be easier if we just unapproved the truly senseless and mindless posts in the more serious sections. SG and HB are cool but it gets fucking annoying in the specialized sections sometimes.
    edited January 2011
    Half baked is supposed to be where the one liners and useless shit goes. That's its whole purpose.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't think we should unapprove them everywhere, only on the more serious forums. If it's SG or something like the gaming section, don't touch it.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Yeah, it would get us a forum without your useless trolling, LouisCypher/Wires Dead Baby/Big Bear +POZ+.

Haha I had no clue that's who he was. Makes sense now.
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited January 2011
    It is tempting of course, but we must be better than that and not become like other forums.

The one thing I liked about totse was that it was intimidating on its own, and could self regulate without having rules for everything. It will be difficult, but I hope that one day we will recreate that culture.

It seems difficult now, but just ignore what you don't like, and contribute what you do like. Everyone receives the special chance to shape the forum in their own image.
    edited January 2011
    Half baked is supposed to be where the one liners and useless shit goes. That's its whole purpose.

I like to think of Half Baked as having its own culture, and as a place for HBers to make their threads, not a place for moderators to move trash.

I wish that moderators would send trash from their forums to NIMF. That forum is the official trashcan, and posting is enabled in it.
    edited January 2011
    vozhde wrote: »
    It is tempting of course, but we must be better than that and not become like other forums.

The one thing I liked about totse was that it was intimidating on its own, and could self regulate without having rules for everything. It will be difficult, but I hope that one day we will recreate that culture.

It seems difficult now, but just ignore what you don't like, and contribute what you do like. Everyone receives the special chance to shape the forum in their own image.
    Every section on totse was governed by rules. Mods locked, deleted or moved posts and threads all the time. Right now we don't have hundreds of kidiots spamming everywhere, but that's what this place will turn into if there are no rules.

I don't see why we should allow worthless, off topic posting in the serious forums. HB, B&M and even SG to an extent are where that kind of posting belong. We don't want T&T, W&C, or the humanities section getting filled with garbage, or do we?
    edited January 2011
    I like to think of Half Baked as having its own culture, and as a place for HBers to make their threads, not a place for moderators to move trash.

I wish that moderators would send trash from their forums to NIMF. That forum is the official trashcan, and posting is enabled in it.
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. I didn't mean we should move things to HB. HB is where people are meant to post one-liner type threads and other lulzy posts. Trolling, provoking people and derailing threads are what HB is about. Trash belongs in the trash. When I made that comment about HB I was referring to how it has its own posting style and even culture, as you put it.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    And the end of free speech begins again...
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    edited January 2011
    And the end of free speech begins again...
    And you were the reason I made this thread. Congrats.
    edited January 2011

I am guessing that not many of these morons have read Animal Farm. These idiots run from Zoklet screaming free speech and no sooner is the farmer dead than they start eating from his table and wearing his cloths.
  • edited January 2011

LOL @ your butthurt and misconceptions. It must all be very difficult for you fangkli :(
  • edited January 2011
    I am guessing that not many of these morons have read Animal Farm. These idiots run from Zoklet screaming free speech and no sooner is the farmer dead than they start eating from his table and wearing his cloths.

Well put. I'd imagine that the book was simply too many pages for them to get through.
    edited January 2011
    Every section on totse was governed by rules. Mods locked, deleted or moved posts and threads all the time. Right now we don't have hundreds of kidiots spamming everywhere, but that's what this place will turn into if there are no rules.

I don't see why we should allow worthless, off topic posting in the serious forums. HB, B&M and even SG to an extent are where that kind of posting belong. We don't want T&T, W&C, or the humanities section getting filled with garbage, or do we?

I know this might seem foolish, but I believe that we should address problems once they actually occur, not create a broad group called "fail trolls" to put people into.

I know that totse had rules, and they were enforced more strictly than us or zoklet, even in forums like SG, but I rarely saw a thread in a technical forum that did not belong there. I am someone who complains about zoklet, but even their technical forums contain decent content.

Totse might have hated spam, but I do not think it ever had a "no off topic posts rule". That little rule was created by zoklet and has caused only unnecessary conflict. That is what I mean when I say intimidating, I did not usually see people posting off topic on totse by their own choice. I also do not think one liners should be called spam, personally, I like to enter a thread and see a clever one liner, and it takes about a second to scroll down and read the content.
    edited January 2011
    Well put. I'd imagine that the book was simply too many pages for them to get through.

What is truly revealing is who voted for approval. 80% of those who have voted for option 2 are mods.

*and the power mongering began as the new sanctuary of the temple was placed upon a bed of sand*
    edited January 2011
    What zoklet got wrong was not enforcing rules. What they fucked up on was deleting or moving threads just because they disagreed with what was being said. greyfox in R&S was a perfect example. Same with people being demodded or banned because they criticized wires. Stuff like that is what made zoklet fail.
    edited January 2011
    What zoklet got wrong was not enforcing rules. What they fucked up on was deleting or moving threads just because they disagreed with what was being said. greyfox in R&S was a perfect example. Same with people being demodded or banned because they criticized wires. Stuff like that is what made zoklet fail.

Zoklet is failing because of power mad little angry teens with their fingers on buttons. Just like you...
    edited January 2011
    I know this might seem foolish, but I believe that we should address problems once they actually occur, not create a broad group called "fail trolls" to put people into.

I know that totse had rules, and they were enforced more strictly than us or zoklet, even in forums like SG, but I rarely saw a thread in a technical forum that did not belong there. I am someone who complains about zoklet, but even their technical forums contain decent content.

Totse might have hated spam, but I do not think it ever had a "no off topic posts rule". That little rule was created by zoklet and has caused only unnecessary conflict. That is what I mean when I say intimidating, I did not usually see people posting off topic on totse by their own choice. I also do not think one liners should be called spam, personally, I like to enter a thread and see a clever one liner, and it takes about a second to scroll down and read the content.

Saying "Failtrolls" was supposed to be a way to generate discussion. Personally I think the trash can idea sounds like the best one offered so far. I don't think we need to ban people outright. When I made the poll the 3 main choices seemed to be ban people who post garbage, remove their posts, or let them post whatever they want wherever.

I also agree that off topic posting is fine, and users often get threads back on track later. Clever one liners add something to the thread.

Discussing this issue is important now rather than later.
    edited January 2011
    Zoklet is failing because of power mad little angry teens with their fingers on buttons. Just like you...

If I was "power mad" don't you think I would have or tried to ban Helladamnleet for reporting me? Go ahead and try that on zoklet and see how long it is before you're banned.
    edited January 2011
    What is truly revealing is who voted for approval. 80% of those who have voted for option 2 are mods.

*and the power mongering began as the new sanctuary of the temple was placed upon a bed of sand*
    And 40% of those who voted for option 3 are failtrolls.
    edited January 2011
    And 40% of those who voted for option 3 are failtrolls.

Define failtroll objectively because Moderator is already so defined.

P.S. That means without interjecting your opinion.
    edited January 2011
    Define failtroll objectively because Moderator is already so defined.

P.S. That means without interjecting your opinion.
    Why don't you?
  • edited January 2011
    Why don't you?

:facepalm:
    edited January 2011
    :facepalm:
    This is exactly the kind of contribution I expected from you. Good work.
  • edited January 2011
    This is exactly the kind of contribution I expected from you. Good work.

This is exactly the kind of duck and dodge I expected when you were forced to put up or shut up. You keep calling me a "fail troll", but you sure dance for me real nice. Its kind of like you are clown....you know...a dancing clown, or mabye a little dog that barks on command. Keep dancing clown.
    edited January 2011
    This is exactly the kind of duck and dodge I expected when you were forced to put up or shut up. You keep calling me a "fail troll", but you sure dance for me real nice. Its kind of like you are clown....you know...a dancing clown, or mabye a little dog that barks on command. Keep dancing clown.
    Define it yourself. It'd be the first time you contributed anything.
    edited January 2011
    Helladamnleet i wouldn't mind getting banned but on occasion trolls like Fatty and Big Bear make me lol so i voted for unapprove posts. It's easier and it saves us from hearing them bitch at us for it.

So the guy who only makes threads about cock is saying he's not a fail troll?:facepalm:
  • edited January 2011
    Define it yourself. It'd be the first time you contributed anything.

You know thats not true.
    edited January 2011
    You know thats not true.

Oh I forgot that "Do a rape" was contributing to the forum.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited January 2011
    Failtrolls are the reason I decided to post here instead of Zoklet. There's a difference in having free speech and being able to talk about whatever topic you want vs. ruining everyone's threads with stupid bs while they are trying to share/discuss a topic.

No need to ban.. just unapprove their posts.
    edited January 2011
    Why don't you?

1. I am not the one using the term.

2. I am not the one proposing the beginning of the of free speech on Totse based on the term.

If you can not objectively define the term in the context of this thread then all you will have accomplished, if this becomes enacted, is to set up Totse for the kind of butt hurt abuse handed out by faggots like FlabbyShark and his nugget buddy Zos over at Zoklet. I have been a dick on purpose to see if this bunch was any different than the mods over there (well except for SquirtyManjiz he is just fun to wind up). Your response to my efforts speaks volumes about where this site is headed if it grows.

If you pussies can't handle one old man being a dick how the fuck are you gonna handle 5 or 10 thousand users without becoming what you ran from?
    edited January 2011
    1. I am not the one using the term.

2. I am not the one proposing the beginning of the of free speech on Totse based on the term.

If you can not objectively define the term in the context of this thread then all you will have accomplished, if this becomes enacted, is to set up Totse for the kind of butt hurt abuse handed out by faggots like FlabbyShark and his nugget buddy Zos over at Zoklet. I have been a dick on purpose to see if this bunch was any different than the mods over there (well except for SquirtyManjiz he is just fun to wind up). Your response to my efforts speaks volumes about where this site is headed if it grows.

If you pussies can't handle one old man being a dick how the fuck are you gonna handle 5 or 10 thousand users without becoming what you ran from?
    So you post stupid shit all over the place in order for us to ban you? Lawl.

I don't need to define failtroll. The community can define it. That's the entire point of this thread: See what users want to do about failtrolls like yourself spamming up the forum with garbage.

I'm glad you see the reason why I want to do this now rather than later. We don't have 5000 users doing it, so we can decide what to do now rather than later. Good thinking.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011

I don't need to define failtroll. The community can define it. That's the entire point of this thread: See what users want to do about failtrolls like yourself spamming up the forum with garbage.

I'm glad you see the reason why I want to do this now rather than later. We don't have 5000 users doing it, so we can decide what to do now rather than later. Good thinking.

i 2nd that.
  • edited January 2011

With your "guidance" of course.
    edited January 2011
    With your "guidance" of course.
    And yours too.
    edited January 2011

Wow, you should head straight to IRC and apply for a job with Zok.

You have yet to answer the question of what a failtroll is. Instead you duck and dive rather than face the fact that you have made an error in judgment and wisdom.
  • -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited January 2011
    Fail-trolls are basically 12 year old, third-grade dropouts, and as such, their dumb asses should be booted at the first possible convenience. Having 12-year-olds on the site is a liability as well as a huge annoyance. Like was said, there's free speech, and then there's intentional defacement of valid conversation by attention-whore-children.
    edited January 2011
    -SpectraL wrote: »
    Fail-trolls are basically 12 year old, third-grade dropouts, and as such, their dumb asses should be booted at the first possible convenience. Having 12-year-olds on the site is a liability as well as a huge annoyance. Like was said, there's free speech, and then there's intentional defacement of valid conversation by attention-whore-children.
    Like I said, the community can define failtrolls. This is a pretty good definition.
    edited January 2011
    A troll that's too unfunny to simply label an unoriginal troll or an unfunny troll. No,
    this troll is astronomically bad. They enter in forums with either the intention of being
    offensive and fall short, or they lack responses alltogether. Everyone knows even the
    simplest trolls get at least 3 or 4 replies. Not the failtroll. The failtroll gets none
    except his/her sockpuppets. Sometimes a failtroll is too ambitious and delusional to
    realize no one is biting their crap and proceed to flood and/or spam a message board or
    chatroom in order to get some feedback.
    Failtroll: OMG I KIK'D A MIDGET TODAY!!!1
    Everyone else: *clicks ignore*
    Failtroll: Y NOONE REPLY TO MEH?//

Or this.... (which is full of subjective adjectives)

But the OP is the one who needs to objectively define the term for the purpose of this thread.