Removing AVG and installing Avast!

edited January 2011 in Tech & Games
So from what I've been hearing from you guys, Avast! is a great AV - one which is better than AVG. So far, I've had absolutely no problems with AVG at all but I'm willing to have a go with Avast. The main thing I would like to test out is the impact on my system which the AV's have.

Here is a screenshot of my Task Manager whilst running AVG. Note that it uses quite a few processes, despite the fact that I turned some of them off (such as the Email Scanner).

6x.png

Just downloaded and installed Avast, and the first thing I noticed was that annoying *DING - Welcome to Avast!* shit that popped up on my screen and blared through my speakers. Not a good start, but a quick check of the Task Manager shows a great difference between the two AV's.

gm.png

I uninstalled a couple components, such as the P2P scanner and the mail scanner, and messed around with the settings. I managed to get it down to a tiny amount of memory usage compared to AVG. I also just disabled the flashy graphics, meaning that the screenshot above isn't even accurate - I guess the removed bells and whistles will mean a smaller resource usage.

Anyway, seems to be great software so far. :D

Comments

• edited January 2011
    I'm perfectly content with my AVG and my Windows Defender to back it up. I used to use Avast but I'm just used to AVG and it's easier for me :/

That's what I was thinking. Then I just said "fuck it", and changed. It's really looking like a great change so far. Give it a shot, you might love it.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    I avoid being a die hard AV fan. I was a HUGE Norton fan but then I used Eset and I was like FUCK ME! after that I tried Avira but didn't like it's response and it did seem a bit dry to look at. Plus, it fucked up when it had to deal with some viruses. Most of the time it locked my system. [Taking about PIII here guys]. Then I tried Kasperky and Panda and both were decent. But I finally settled for Avast because it kept itself updated and it was easy to manage and rarely fucked up.

I am using Avast on 4 different systems with different hardware and configurations. It works on all of them. From PIII to Core2Duo.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    Avast!'s alerts are HUGE turn off for me. It's not pleasant booting up your PC and having a ladybot greet you, it's just creepy. I never bothered checking settings for an off switch, I guess there probably is one. NOD32 is just so quiet and sexy.
  • edited January 2011
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Avast!'s alerts are HUGE turn off for me. It's not pleasant booting up your PC and having a ladybot greet you, it's just creepy. I never bothered checking settings for an off switch, I guess there probably is one. NOD32 is just so quiet and sexy.

Yup, there is a nice switch to disable all sounds and alerts :D

Was the first thing I turned off.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    http://dottech.org/freeware-reviews/14151

AVG, Avast, Avira and MSE are compared here. The review doesn't really endorse any one over the others. I like avira, but I might try avast and see if it's any good.

I don't really need much AV protection because clearcloud dns + FF + noscript + adblockplus is going to protect against the majority of threats. The main problems people have are visiting shitty sites and downloading stupid things. Using clearcloud dns will protect you from visiting known harmful sites, and noscript and adblockplus help protect you as well because harmful scripts and ads will not load unless you allow them to. That's half the battle. Not downloading stupid shit is where most people get into trouble.
  • edited January 2011
    Just a little update now - I've been using Avast! for a week or two now. During this time, I also installed it into my family PC downstairs to see if it would work better than AVG. Overall, I'd say it's a much better AV and an improvement to say the least. Much less resource-hogging than AVG, and is very customizable.

Highly recommended :thumbsup:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    ^That, I am using F-secure now instead of Avast. I just want to see if the detection rates are really good and if the AV will protect me better. It's still in testing phase.
  • edited January 2011
    I've never heard of F-secure before, what's it like?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I've never heard of F-secure before, what's it like?

It's lite and doesn't really force the system in anyway. I installed it after reading the AV-Comparatives stats. It's not free btw and I am using the trial version.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited January 2011
    Figure I might as well toss this little thing in here that I found on the forums of one of my torrent trackers. It's a pretty cool way to test the live scan of your AV. I've done it and it's safe, Microsoft Security Essentials picked it up, locked it, and pushed to delete it the minute I hit "Save". Pretty impressive of MS.
    Here is a quick guide how to test your antivirus program.

Don worry this is only a test file so you'r computer is not in danger

Open notepad and paste this in:
    X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

It must be all in one line.
    When you paste this in, click File and Save as...
    Name it "eicar.com" (without " )

If your antivirus doesnt recgonize it as a virus, you better change it.
    I tested this on many apps and they were all sucesfully, even the free ones.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    You did the right thing OP. I made the move about a year ago and have not regretted it.
  • edited January 2011
    just in case anyone cares Comodo has a free anti-virus-firewall security suite for free. works great.
    they also have a free computer cleaner.

someone mentioned it at zoklet last year and i been using it ever since.

here is the link.

http://www.comodo.com/products/free-products.php