I want to learn how to play an instrument.

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
But where to start?

Comments

• Sarahlov3lySarahlov3ly Regular
    edited January 2011
    I played the clarinet
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    No winds!
  • Sarahlov3lySarahlov3ly Regular
    edited January 2011
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    general:

12 notes in an octave, 7 whole steps, 5 half steps.

No half steps between b and c, and e/f.

Other than that, the only advice I have for ya is: just pick something up...
  • edited January 2011
    Learn the guitar dude. Or drums, everyone needs a drummer and they're the hardest to find. You need good rhythm for that though, although it develops over time.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    inb4 "Oh I know, I'll play a plasmophone"
  • edited January 2011
    I've been playing guitar and drums since I was a little kid, and it's been fantastic. It's taught me coordination skills, keeping rythms, etc. Plus now, I have the ability to pick up any instrument and make a tune in a matter of minutes. Brilliant shit, much to the amusement of my friends.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited January 2011
    Start playing the drums.. it's fun and easy.
  • edited January 2011
    OP - What's your budget set at for buying an instrument? If you're looking for drums, I have a ride cymbal/boom stand and a double kick-pedal to sell :D
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited January 2011
    Find one you are passionate about, take lessons, take them seriously.
  • edited January 2011
    Play the Xbox :o:o:o
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited January 2011
    There are 3 instruments that are easy to learn without much professional training and cheap. That is the keyboard, guitar, or drums.

Now, you probably dont want to look like a pansy, so keyboard is out of the question. However, it is important to recognize yourself with notes, chords, and scales, and the piano is the easiest to visualize this on.

Guitar is probably your first choice, but everybody wants to learn to play guitar and nobody wants to practice the guitar. If you can really put in some time and dedication into learning chords, scales and finger positions, then you could probably blindly learn a few songs without actually knowing what youre playing.

Problem with tone instruments is you need to know a bit of music theory to create anything. Otherwise youre just replicating what you see on tabs without every actually knowing what youre doing.

Now the drums are badass, and you seem like the type of guy who needs to channel his anger through some sort of artistic medium. The only thing you need to do on drums is learn timing, and know how to do 3 things at once. If you can masturbate while chewing gum and running a mile at the same time, then you can probably play the drums. Hell, even spectral plays the drums and that guy is 60 YEARS OLD!
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    Ay you should start with either guitar or piano/keyboard and harmonicas are pretty easy to. also you can start with a cello or a upright bass. I Can play any instrument you hand me. and i love all kinds of music.
  • edited January 2011
    Troll thread
    OP is already a virtuoso at the skin flute
    edited January 2011
    Now, you probably dont want to look like a pansy, so keyboard is out of the question.

I'm sorry what did you say?

I think I might try the keyboard, but IDK where to start. I think I have one in the basement anyway.
    edited January 2011
    Grr... I'm thinking guitar now, I don't like the piano. It's too fingery.
    edited January 2011
    Guitar is cheaper to start, but I like to tickle those ivories :hai:
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    Grr... I'm thinking guitar now, I don't like the piano. It's too fingery.

Well the Guitar you have to finger the fret board and also in some cases you will have to use your fingers for the strings lol
    edited January 2011
    Yeah but the finger movements are small and you can feel the frets so you don't get lost.

The keys on a piano all look the same to me. I got lost.
    edited January 2011
    Yeah but the finger movements are small and you can feel the frets so you don't get lost.

The keys on a piano all look the same to me. I got lost.

Yeh, and all the frets look different :p

But that's why you don't look. I play with my eyes closed :)
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »

But that's why you don't look. I play with my eyes closed :)

good point. pick an instrument and play blind. it has to work
  • zeeku777zeeku777 Semo-Regulars
    edited January 2011
    Pick up the guitar, It's wicked easy to pick up. And you can become acceptably good pretty efficiently. Also, good way to make money- Street perform with it.

HOWEVER, if you choose to learn ANY instrument, please DO NOT USE TABS. Tabs are the shit of the music world, learn how to read sheet music from the start.. You'll thank me later.
    edited January 2011
    zeeku777 wrote: »
    Pick up the guitar, It's wicked easy to pick up. And you can become acceptably good pretty efficiently. Also, good way to make money- Street perform with it.

HOWEVER, if you choose to learn ANY instrument, please DO NOT USE TABS. Tabs are the shit of the music world, learn how to read sheet music from the start.. You'll thank me later.

Theres nothing wrong with reading tabs. If he has no musical background whatsoever, its going to be a huge headache trying to start from square one reading sheet music. Tabs do not change the way you play music. Thats just something pretentious people say to make others feel inferior for not knowing how to read sheet music. Hell, some of the greatest musicians in the world dont know how to read sheet music.
  • homeslice4700homeslice4700 Regular
    edited January 2011
    Don't listen to that shit head I don't even know how to read music, all I do is tabs and I bet I can smoke the shit out of him on a guitar... Trust me do tabs instead of sheet music you will be thanking me for it later
  • edited January 2011
    Play base or drums if you want to jam in rock bands, electronic drum kits are way better than they used to be, and given your talents you will never have to buy an amp for either, or be able to punk the fuck out of one you bought.

Guitar is great, and very satisfying once you get some practice under your belt, but everyone and their dog plays guitar. But if you do choose it, pay aroung $800-$1200 for it, I have owned a ton of $350-$550 guitars and they gave me nothing but grief.

"Katnenklavier? perhaps keyboards, maybe a Synclavier, or perhaps Trekklavier, lord knows chicks dig accordians"
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »

rrjdac.jpg

Neck inlays make them look different.

However, after playing for a little while, everyone stops looking at them.

On a side note to that, Jimi Hendrix's psycodelic flying V turned up in a second hand shop a couple of miles away from me - it had been painted over and it was unknown what it was at the time. The guy who bought it paid buttons for it.

Took it home, stripped back the layers of paint and found the design. Thought it was nice and knew that Jimi's guitar had been missing for years.

The perloid inlays (which are unique to each guitar) proved what it was. Lucky bastard.
    But if you do choose it, pay aroung $800-$1200 for it, I have owned a ton of $350-$550 guitars and they gave me nothing but grief.

I can half agree, but Slash recorded Appetite for Destruction with a cheap gibson knock off that had been fitted with seymour duncan pickups.

OP, learn guitar - many people can play, but not so many can play well. People get to a level they feel comforatble with - be it playing chords so they can knock out a tune - and dont go any further.

The best advice I can give it listen to a hell of a lot of music playing on guitar in the style you wish to play in.
  • edited January 2011
    OP, I used to play guitar religiously. For almost 10 years I played every day or almost, by ear and reading tab. You will get to a level where you can't advance further unless you really learn theory. Playing by ear is all well and good but you will only be a mediocre player unless you are naturally gifted. If, and I stress IF you are serious about mastering an instrument, don't take shortcuts, learn the right way, put in the work.
  • zeeku777zeeku777 Semo-Regulars
    edited January 2011
    If he has no musical background whatsoever, its going to be a huge headache trying to start from square one reading sheet music. Tabs do not change the way you play music. Thats just something pretentious people say to make others feel inferior for not knowing how to read sheet music.

I'm not trying to be pretentious, I just said it because if he really wants to learn and eventually master an instrument- He should learn how to read music, because if you start with tabs, learning to read music just gets even harder to do. (I know from making this same choice when I started).
    Don't listen to that shit head I don't even know how to read music, all I do is tabs and I bet I can smoke the shit out of him on a guitar... Trust me do tabs instead of sheet music you will be thanking me for it later

You can probably do cool sweep picking and a bunch of different popular songs? Sick- you are now on the same level as a jukebox.
    You will get to a level where you can't advance further unless you really learn theory. Playing by ear is all well and good but you will only be a mediocre player unless you are naturally gifted. If, and I stress IF you are serious about mastering an instrument, don't take shortcuts, learn the right way, put in the work.

Thank you man.
    edited January 2011
    I'm not trying to be pretentious, I just said it because if he really wants to learn and eventually master an instrument- He should learn how to read music, because if you start with tabs, learning to read music just gets even harder to do. (I know from making this same choice when I started).

Look man. Im just being realistic. Like I said before, everybody wants to know how to play guitar, but nobody wants to practice guitar. If he was REALLY dedicated, and I mean REALLY DEDICATED, he would go to square one, learn treble and bass cleff, learn common times, learn bars, learn measures, learn whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, eighth notes, etc., learn accents, learn crescendos, learn syncopation, learn stocato, etc. etc. and THEN, AND ONLY THEN will he even began learning something that sounds like music on the guitar.

Now, Im assuming OP is over 20 years old, has a life, probably works and goes to school, maybe has a girlfriend, so he has nowhere near that time to learn all that stuff. Maybe he wants to serenade his lady with a simple song on acoustic and needs a crash course lesson on how to play a few chords. Learning sheet music is in the very least one of his priorities. His first priority would be to learn a chord, learn to strum, and learn off of tabs to replicate a song he wants to play. If he is still interested after that point, then sure, maybe he will dig deeper into the art, but even still, unless he is getting into professional performing i.e. performing on Broadway or for London Philharmonic, then learning how to read sheet music is practically USELESS.
  • homeslice4700homeslice4700 Regular
    edited January 2011

You can probably do cool sweep picking and a bunch of different popular songs? Sick- you are now on the same level as a jukebox.

Thank you man.

I can play anything but I write more music than anything else
    edited January 2011
    Being able to read sheet music is +1, but it's not necessary. Learn to play well. That's all that matters.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    i can only read baratone and trombone sheet music. otherwise if i absolutely cant figure out a song i will use tab.