Buying First Long Distance Rifle

AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
edited January 2011 in Man Cave
I am looking into buying my first long distance rifle. I was looking at a .308 savage. Does anyone own one or have anyone opinions on the rifle? I have about $800 to spend including the scope and everything.

If anyone has a better rifle or caliber please say so. Any advice is welcome. Also if you have a suggestion please elaborate and say why you think it is good.

I was looking at this model btw-http://www.snipercountrypx.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=1124

Comments

• Brock SamsonBrock Samson Regular
    edited July 2010
    The savage is well made, 308 is a good round too.

A lot of people will tell you to get a tikka or a rem 700, they are both well made... But you can get better for your money. Weatherby, Howa, Ruger, Browning would give you more for your cash.

When I buy my first .308 I'm strongly considering a weatherby vanguard, it seems to have a lot of bang for the buck.
  • ArgonPlasma2000ArgonPlasma2000 Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    I'm looking into an AR-10. The upper is around $800 and I'll make the lower because I'm a cheap bastard.

I hear Tikka's are pretty good, but they are a bit pricey.
  • AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah the AR-10 is way out of my price range.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited July 2010
    Go with a Savage or Weatherby. .308 is decent for pretty far out.

And I would avoid the AR-10's. I like the platform, but a lot of people have problems with failure to feeds, and the accuracy isn't up to a bolt's performance. Mags aren't cheap, and quality control from what I've heard is mediocre at best. Your mileage may vary however.
  • AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks, im looking into a Savage with accutrigger and a heavy floating barrel right nwo.
    edited August 2010
    Thanks, im looking into a Savage with accutrigger and a heavy floating barrel right nwo.

For sure. The accu-trigger is definitely worth the very small price increase from the cheaper models. It's a great trigger system. :)
  • fr0st_Bytefr0st_Byte Sumpin' c00L
    edited January 2011
    acid_drop wrote: »
    Go with a Savage or Weatherby. .308 is decent for pretty far out.

And I would avoid the AR-10's. I like the platform, but a lot of people have problems with failure to feeds, and the accuracy isn't up to a bolt's performance. Mags aren't cheap, and quality control from what I've heard is mediocre at best. Your mileage may vary however.

From what I remember Savage and Weatherby are on opposite ends of the price range, Weatherby being the more expensive. Savage is a great gun for the price and a good starter rifle.

My first rifle was a Winchester, bolt action .270. It is one of the more flat shooting guns. With a factory scope I think I paid about $350 10 years ago. One of the more available weapons that is very accurate would be a .243. It doesn't have the take-down power of the .308 or .300 but it will do the job.

Whatever you get make it a bolt action. Try one of these: 30-06, .300 win mag, or a 7mm if you want a rifle with a punch or a .243 or 25-06 if you want a light kick with very accurate rounds.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    The Mosin Nagant is a good rifle for long distance shooting provided it isnt counter bored.
    edited January 2011
    The Mosin Nagant is a good rifle for long distance shooting provided it isnt counter bored.

I like the Mosins. But they won't hold up the accuracy of a modern bolt gun. The surplus ammo wasn't made for that kind of accuracy, and neither was the rifle. You won't get sub-MOA with a Mosin, they sit around 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards typically. Hell I'm fine 2-3 MOA, but most people aren't when you get to 400-800 yards. A Savage can be a MOA rifle out of the box.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    I like the Mosins. But they won't hold up the accuracy of a modern bolt gun. The surplus ammo wasn't made for that kind of accuracy, and neither was the rifle. You won't get sub-MOA with a Mosin, they sit around 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards typically. Hell I'm fine 2-3 MOA, but most people aren't when you get to 400-800 yards. A Savage can be a MOA rifle out of the box.

What about a Mauser? I own one and I get the same accuracy as any modern rifle.
    edited January 2011
    What about a Mauser? I own one and I get the same accuracy as any modern rifle.

Mausers 98's are a different story. They were the most accurate bolt action of the two great wars. There's a reason the Springfield 1909, and most modern bolts took the Mauser action. Most modern rifles are BASED on that Mauser. And the action was smooth unlike the Mosins. The Mosion action is notorious for being a total bitch.

The Mauser was stupidly accurate for the time. The sights were pretty miserable though. The Mosin while a good battle rifle, didn't really compare in accuracy.

Also, the problem with all WWII surplus is that most of it has been fired, with corrosive ammunition, not cleaned for awhile- and thus the bores usually suffer. I'd still take a Mauser 98 though. I should have a few years ago when they were only like $130.
  • 5.56 SS1095.56 SS109 Regular
    edited January 2011
    fr0st_Byte wrote: »
    From what I remember Savage and Weatherby are on opposite ends of the price range, Weatherby being the more expensive. Savage is a great gun for the price and a good starter rifle.

The Weatherby Vanguard series (actually Japanese made Howa 1500s) are actually priced similarly to most mid-grade hunting rifles.

A standard Weatherby Vanguard with the "1.5 MOA guarantee" is about $400.

Anyway, most "sniper" type rifles that you can buy at sporting good stores have garbage stocks. The Savage would be your best bet provided you get one with the new Accustock that has a aluminum bedding block.

Take a look at the SWFA "Super Sniper" scope for $299, Burris Tactical 30mm rings, and an Evolution Gun Works scope base and you can have a pretty damn good long range rifle for not a whole lot.

You also might be able to find the Bushnell 3200 10x Mildot scope for about $185, but they discontinued them so a lot of stores no longer have them in stock.
  • edited January 2011
    Do it once, do it right. Get a Remington 700 receiver and have it built to your specs, or you'll just end up buying more and more rifles building up to when you finally purchase a Remington 700 receiver and have it built to your specs.
    edited January 2011
    Do it once, do it right. Get a Remington 700 receiver and have it built to your specs, or you'll just end up buying more and more rifles building up to when you finally purchase a Remington 700 receiver and have it built to your specs.

You can do this, but it isn't cheap. Just don't buy a Rem700 out of the box without seriously going over it, and preferably shooting it. The quailty control of the 700's has fallen to a despicable level.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    Get the L96A1.

It's virtually a one-shot kill. Proof:

It's only like 1,500 GP.

• edited January 2011
    You can do this, but it isn't cheap. Just don't buy a Rem700 out of the box without seriously going over it, and preferably shooting it. The quailty control of the 700's has fallen to a despicable level.

Gee, I guess the military really is the last resort of people who couldn't flip burgers, you really need to brush up on your reading comprehension. My post very clearly said "BUILT TO YOUR OWN SPECS," not "buy the first Remington 700 you see, put a $80 bushnell on it, and make a ghillie suit to become a sniper overnight."
    edited January 2011
    Gee, I guess the military really is the last resort of people who couldn't flip burgers, you really need to brush up on your reading comprehension. My post very clearly said "BUILT TO YOUR OWN SPECS," not "buy the first Remington 700 you see, put a $80 bushnell on it, and make a ghillie suit to become a sniper overnight."

Obviously you need to clean the shit out of your own eyes. I never claimed you said buy one complete. HOwever people tend to buy a 700 out of the box, and then bitch when it can't shoot for hell.

Also you can build an amazing rifle out of any good Mauser action. Doesn't have to be a 700.

Honestly, you really need to calm down your interweb ego.

EDIT: Also, flip burgers? I had a Bachelors degree before I went in to the Army. Jackass.
  • edited January 2011
    Obviously you need to clean the shit out of your own eyes. I never claimed you said buy one complete. HOwever people tend to buy a 700 out of the box, and then bitch when it can't shoot for hell.

Also you can build an amazing rifle out of any good Mauser action. Doesn't have to be a 700.

Honestly, you really need to calm down your interweb ego.

Getting a little defensive there flaccid_cock?
    Lemme help you out a bit because it looks like you filled your brain with hooah and knocked out all the learnin' you're supposed to have done before that:

Not once ever at all in the slightest did I ever at once in the slightest recommend he "buy a 700 out of the box"
    Next time try to remember feet, knees, hip, shoulder, back when landing a parachute, not nose, face, cranium, side of head and spinal cord.
    edited January 2011
    Getting a little defensive there sexy?
    Lemme help you out a bit because it looks like you filled your brain with hooah and knocked out all the learnin' you're supposed to have done before that:

Not once ever at all in the slightest did I ever at once in the slightest recommend he "buy a 700 out of the box"

I likely have a higher education than you, and I also never said you implied to do so.

reedng comprahhenshuns plz :rolleyes:
  • edited January 2011
    I likely have a higher education than you, and I also never said you implied to do so.

reedng comprahhenshuns plz :rolleyes:

I would appreciate that you respond to imaginary posts without quoting mine then.
    edited January 2011
    I would appreciate that you respond to imaginary posts without quoting mine then.

Read the first sentence of my post, that you are so butthurt about. Granted, I should have hit enter a few times to separate ideas(I forgot that this is the internet), but it's still there. The small paragraph is obviously comprehensive.
  • edited January 2011
    Read the first sentence of my post, that you are so butthurt about. Granted, I should have hit enter a few times to separate ideas(I forgot that this is the internet), but it's still there. The small paragraph is obviously comprehensive.

I guess it is easier to sign papers with 11x on them than to clean a grease trap after all.
    edited January 2011
    If you don't stop derailing the shit out of threads here, I will have to start cleaning your crap out of my forum.

I don't know your problem with me, nor do I care. This is meant to be a relatively serious sub-forum. Attack me all you want, but keep it in PM. It's annoying to me, that you derail threads, and as such, drive people away from posting. It detracts from the sub-forum as a whole.
  • edited January 2011
    If you don't stop derailing the shit out of threads here, I will have to start cleaning your crap out of my forum.

I don't know your problem with me, nor do I care. This is meant to be a relatively serious sub-forum. Attack me all you want, but keep it in PM. It's annoying to me, that you derail threads, and as such, drive people away from posting. It detracts from the sub-forum as a whole.

lol hai DS part 2
    edited January 2011
    lol hai DS part 2

Hai ;)
  • Pile of JewsPile of Jews Regular
    edited January 2011
    Winchester Model 70 is something you might wanna check out, not too pricey and great rifles.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=211466094

And heres one with the black synthetic stock..if you're into that (yuck)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=210827674

They make the Model 70s in various different calibers too. .375 H&H, .270, .30-06, .243, .300 WSM etc.