Shut all of this bullshit up about banning failtrolls.

MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Look, we all know that some trolls do suck, and they cause problems. But this is totse. Talk of banning is just bullshit here and I feel like with how much it's being discussed, it could possibly happen and nobody wants that. It would ruin the entire vibe that makes this forum what it is.

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    Nobody has been banned. I think it's at least an important subject to discuss and get out of the way while the site is still relatively young.
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited January 2011
    Nobody has been banned. I think it's at least an important subject to discuss and get out of the way while the site is still relatively young.
    I don't think it should be discussed as it has been. It was like the first thing thought up on the subject of dealing with trolls. Maybe I'm missing something.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited January 2011
    Trolling isnt against the rules, no matter how retarded it is.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    Look, we all know that some trolls do suck, and they cause problems. But this is totse. Talk of banning is just bullshit here and I feel like with how much it's being discussed, it could possibly happen and nobody wants that. It would ruin the entire vibe that makes this forum what it is.
    I named the thread "ban failtrolls?" to get people to discuss the issue. I figured it'd fire people up. It seems to have worked. No one has been banned and I really doubt anyone will get banned for failtrolling.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited January 2011
    It's a classic example of making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    edited January 2011
    The funny thing is, is that the original Totse mods banned people left and right. Trolls are part of the Totse experience though and not all of them deserved to be banned unless they break the rules. I think that Fanglekai was referring more to banning people who have been abusing the report feature and letting mods actually exercise their right to infract people without going through 30 steps before an official warning.
    Totse mods banned people all the fucking time. Multiple accounts? Banned. Spamming? Banned. Abuse anything? Banned. The mods moderated by banning. There were a ton of kidiots spamming shit, and they had to ban them because they didn't stop. I don't know why everyone thinks totse was a haven for spammers. It wasn't. The trolls that didn't get banned were articulate. People like CarbonB and DaGuru who would multiquote and respond point by point. Snoopy was a huge troll for pretty much his entire time there. The mods dealt with the situation by banning people.

I wanted to generate discussion now rather than later. I didn't want it to be glossed over, so I presented the topic in a way that would get people to respond. It's something that we need to talk about. How we're going to deal with spammers and people who abuse features is a really, really important topic. By getting people to make decisions, we can prevent this place from turning into cocklet.

What if we don't discuss it? The site has grown a lot recently. We have well over 2000 members now. We're going to keep growing. What are we going to do when we have 100 users spamming shit threads and abusing the report a post feature? Ignoring the problems does not make them go away.

Personally I don't like how people abuse the report a post feature. I think there should be a 12 hour ban that mods can use or simply take away their ability to report posts. It's obvious when someone abuses the report a post feature. It makes a new thread in Infractions that everyone can see. It's transparent. We shouldn't have to warn for it. You abuse the feature, you get temporarily banned. You keep abusing it, you get banned for longer. If temporarily banning users who abuse this feature isn't an option, then take away their ability to use the feature. Problem solved. Two solutions to one problem. What are we going to do?

As for failtrolls and removing their posts, I wanted to see how people would react. On totse the mods locked or removed threads all the fucking time. The kind of "answer me slave" threads Big Bear made were the kind that got locked on sight. They're garbage. Does the community want no moderation? Should those kinds of threads remain open? Should blatant garbage posts be unapproved? What happens if we let spammers derail threads?

What I wanted to get at and really what constituted my main motivation for making the thread was figuring out what exactly are the mods here supposed to do? How should we moderate? As it is, the mods have done pretty much nothing. We ban spam bots. Some of us move or lock a few threads. That's it. There has been very little abuse on the part of users, and most of it has been committed by the same few members. I wanted to see how the community thought the mods should moderate this site.

Talking about banning people is just that. It's talk. There's no need to spaz out over it. We HAVE to discuss these issues at some point or the mods will not know what they're supposed to do. There has been 0 "mod training" going on. It has to start somewhere, and we might as well decide as a community what we're going to do about these issues. If the answer is people get to post anything they want and spam, then that's what we'll do. We need to decide it first if that's how the site is going to function.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    ^hmm good points.

*Goes to make a thread*
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited January 2011
    i dont think that baning is the rite thing 2 do in this 1 cus idk i h8ed geting band at zoklet cus thats all they wood do is ban me id be like o hey guys how r u? and they wood just ban me 4 no reesin. idk its anoying but wut r u gonna do this is totse dont let it tern 2 another united states were it starts off free but over the corse of time it gets ruined :o
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited January 2011
    It needs to be discussed. Making more threads about it only fuels the fire. This is GS though, so you may post whatever you like so long as it isnt spam. Happy day.
    edited January 2011
    brandon wrote: »
    i dont think that baning is the rite thing 2 do in this 1 cus idk i h8ed geting band at zoklet cus thats all they wood do is ban me id be like o hey guys how r u? and they wood just ban me 4 no reesin. idk its anoying but wut r u gonna do this is totse dont let it tern 2 another united states were it starts off free but over the corse of time it gets ruined :o
    Good input. No one better try to ban you. I'm in your fanclub!! LOL!
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I don't want you guys to ban anyone, if possible. Failtrolls are just a part of life.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    what exactly are the mods here supposed to do? How should we moderate? As it is, the mods have done pretty much nothing.

We HAVE to discuss these issues at some point or the mods will not know what they're supposed to do. There has been 0 "mod training" going on.

Nice post, but the above bits do come across as crisis of confidence.

Advice from the Doc

Do what you are doing - no ill has been commited so far

Try new things - if they dont work, stop, no need for an enquiry

Tune your instinct.

Look to Lao-tzu for a bit of advice
    I have three treasures. Gaurd and keep them:
    The first is deep love,
    The second if frugality
    And the third is not to dare to be ahead of the world.

Because of deep love, one is courageous.
    Because of frugality, one is generouse.
    Because of not daring to be ahead of the world,
    one becomes the leader of the world
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah listen to the guy who's quoting Lao-tzu, I can tell he's smart.
    edited January 2011
    It's not a crisis of confidence. I want to implement site-wide policy regarding moderation. Every decision is reached by community consensus. Dfg is the one who brought up "mod training" when I brought up multiple account abuse back in August. I reread that thread and realized we haven't had any "mod training" and nothing had been done to ban multiple accounts. Really all I want is for us to have moderation policy in place. I'm perfectly capable of modding S&A how I'd like, but it's nice to copypasta rules if people want to complain.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    It's not a crisis of confidence. I want to implement site-wide policy regarding moderation. Every decision is reached by community consensus. Dfg is the one who brought up "mod training" when I brought up multiple account abuse back in August. I reread that thread and realized we haven't had any "mod training" and nothing had been done to ban multiple accounts. Really all I want is for us to have moderation policy in place. I'm perfectly capable of modding S&A how I'd like, but it's nice to copypasta rules if people want to complain.

My bad, you should have notified me about this earlier :).

There you go: http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=9328
    edited January 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    My bad, you should have notified me about this earlier :).

There you go: http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=9328
    I only noticed it yesterday :o
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited January 2011

if i recal, that was due 2 multipel acounts:o:o:o:o:o
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited January 2011
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited January 2011
    Totse mods banned people all the fucking time. Multiple accounts? Banned. Spamming? Banned. Abuse anything? Banned. The mods moderated by banning. There were a ton of kidiots spamming shit, and they had to ban them because they didn't stop. I don't know why everyone thinks totse was a haven for spammers. It wasn't. The trolls that didn't get banned were articulate. People like CarbonB and DaGuru who would multiquote and respond point by point. Snoopy was a huge troll for pretty much his entire time there. The mods dealt with the situation by banning people.

I know you had a good reason for using the term "fail trolls" that you have already explained, but that was probably partially responsible for this deabate

As some users have already pointed out, fail trolling is not easy to define, and its separation from trolling is based on opinion. Articulate People like DaGuru may not even have been fail trolls but were banned by acidmelt because he said their long posts were page stretching, and freely used the "thou shall not cause grief to thy administrator" rule. The bans were probably more about the content the posts contained. Similarly, users have been banned on zoklet for insulting wires or making jokes about her. Actions by people in power based on their personal opinion have probably led people who believe in free speech to defend trolls almost to the point of condoning spam.

A better thing to consider should be if we should ban spammers. The majority of users would probably agree that we should, but then we must define spam well enough that abuse is not permitted.

I believe that the idea of mod training is useless because it is only needed when definitions and rules are not clear, and that was the problem with zoklet and with us. If we could have a solid clear definition of what is spam and what is content, then no moderator would have any doubt about when to use their powers.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited January 2011
    vozhde wrote: »

A better thing to consider should be if we should ban spammers. The majority of users would probably agree that we should, but then we must define spam well enough that abuse is not permitted.

Fatty. Someone needs to ban that shit brick from the internet entirely.
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited January 2011
    Mantikore wrote: »
    if i recal, that was due 2 multipel acounts:o:o:o:o:o

it was my frinds acount wen i told them about zoklet but they didnt belive me
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited January 2011
    it was my frinds acount wen i told them about zoklet but they didnt belive me

i believe you brandon :o:o. their loss is our gain
  • -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited January 2011
    Spam is whatever the attending moderator says is spam. That leaves getting mods in who actually know what the fuck they are doing. This ain't a training school. You can either shit or get off the pot... those are the only two choices, IMO.
  • fr0st_Bytefr0st_Byte Sumpin' c00L
    edited January 2011
    We shouldn't have to warn for it. You abuse the feature, you get temporarily banned. You keep abusing it, you get banned for longer. If temporarily banning users who abuse this feature isn't an option, then take away their ability to use the feature. Problem solved. Two solutions to one problem. What are we going to do?
    I think a good idea would make the "report a post" feature only be allowed to be used by members having more than 500+ posts.
    Holy shit dude. I like you but are you making your grammar and spelling like that on purpose? No offense man but I bet that shit is kinda hard to read by most posters.
    acid_drop wrote: »
    Fatty. Someone needs to ban that shit brick from the internet entirely.
    Agreed 100%. He purposely trys to derail people's threads and totally abuses the "report a post" feature. I know we as moderators are suppose to find other ways to deal with this but he keeps doing it time and time again.
    edited January 2011
    -SpectraL wrote: »
    Spam is whatever the attending moderator says is spam. That leaves getting mods in who actually know what the fuck they are doing. This ain't a training school. You can either shit or get off the pot... those are the only two choices, IMO.

Once again STFU Spectral you abused power like nobody else and were one of the worst mods to have ever been on zoklet . You have no room to talk. You contribute nothing to the site and instead bitch and moan all the time.

fr0st_Byte wrote: »
    Agreed 100%. He purposely trys to derail people's threads and totally abuses the "report a post" feature. I know we as moderators are suppose to find other ways to deal with this but he keeps doing it time and time again.

I have no problem with FATTY. Almost all his posts are on topic and he's a pretty lulzy troll. Banning FATTY would just hurt totse.
    edited January 2011

I have no problem with FATTY. Almost all his posts are on topic and he's a pretty lulzy troll. Banning FATTY would just hurt totse.

Every time I see him in bltc he is purposely derailing a thread and taking away content from a legit thread because people have to stop their conversation to address his continued off topic insults and slander. I mean this is totse so the slander is accepted but for a thread to totally go off topic just messes up legit, good threads therefore taking away content from the forum. I'm not saying ban him really I'm just voicing my opinion really I guess.

And I'm not saying this just because of the flame war him and I had in SG the other night. I don't even let that bother me once I am in another thread. You can see an example of that when Jamie Madrox posted a thread in bltc after him and I also had it out in that same SG thread.

He posted a thread in Bltc that same night and I went on like nothing happened by commenting on his thread and asking questions trying to promote intelligent conversation about his topic.

This thread happened about 15 minutes after we were done insulting each other in that SG thread.
    http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=9651
    edited January 2011
    Once again STFU Spectral you abused power like nobody else and were one of the worst mods to have ever been on zoklet

Hey... abusers are people, too.

. You have no room to talk. You contribute nothing to the site and instead bitch and moan all the time.
    O_rly? What's with all the interesting threads and posts I've contributed here then, hmmm? Stop talking out of your ass, kid, and you'll do better for your credibility... what's left of it, that is. Perhaps I'd be better off contributing over on Metaphysicist's site instead, and we can leave you to figure things out on your own.

Yes, and pigs also fly. Any more "good ones" for us, Sanchez? :facepalm:
    edited January 2011
    Hey... abusers are people, too.

O_rly? What's with all the interesting threads and posts I've contributed here then, hmmm? Stop talking out of your ass, kid, and you'll do better for your credibility... what's left of it, that is. Perhaps I'd be better off contributing over on Metaphysicist's site instead, and we can leave you to figure things out on your own.

Yes, and pigs also fly. Any more "good ones" for us, Sanchez? :facepalm:

You have made a few useful posts but most of them are just bitching and talking about to run the site. You speak of abuse of power yet you abused power all the time. You are a faggot and I don't give a fuck if your butthurt causes you to post on Metas site. Also most of your info you post is bullshit such as the gasoline in a lightbulb which you got from the anarchist cookbook.
    edited January 2011
    You have made a few useful posts but most of them are just bitching and talking about to run the site. You speak of abuse of power yet you abused power all the time. You are a faggot and I don't give a fuck if your butthurt causes you to post on Metas site. Also most of your info you post is bullshit such as the gasoline in a lightbulb which you got from the anarchist cookbook.
    Oh, please, Sanchez. Again, you are simply talking directly out of your ass. You NEVER had access to either Totse's M&A or Zoklet's M&A, so you really could have NO IDEA who abused what and who did what to who. In fact, Dfg, ArmsMerchant and myself were the only three moderators on Zoklet actually doing their job, where everybody else was just fucking around with their own personal preferences or sitting with their thumbs stuck up their asses. Dfg can verify this for you if you like. Of course people are gonna bitch at moderators who actually do their jobs... that's a given. So again, Sanchez, stop talking out of your ass, you know? 'cause I'm the kind of guy who uses the actual facts to back up what I bring to the table, and not just a lot of hot air, so you'd be best to remember that if you continue to lock horns with me. I've come a long road, and I've been up against the best, and I didn't come this far to witness some fact-less n00b blow a lot of hot air into a thread, know what I mean, jelly bean? Thanks for playin'. ;)
    edited January 2011
    Oh, please, Sanchez. Again, you are simply talking directly out of your ass. You NEVER had access to either Totse's M&A or Zoklet's M&A, so you really could have NO IDEA who abused what and who did what to who. In fact, Dfg, ArmsMerchant and myself were the only three moderators on Zoklet actually doing their job, where everybody else was just fucking around with their own personal preferences or sitting with their thumbs stuck up their asses. Dfg can verify this for you if you like. Of course people are gonna bitch at moderators who actually do their jobs... that's a given. So again, Sanchez, stop talking out of your ass, you know? 'cause I'm the kind of guy who uses the actual facts to back up what I bring to the table, and not just a lot of hot air, so you'd be best to remember that if you continue to lock horns with me. I've come a long road, and I've been up against the best, and I didn't come this far to witness some fact-less n00b blow a lot of hot air into a thread, know what I mean, jelly bean? Thanks for playin'. ;)

ArmsMerchant was another faggot that disgraced the name of totse. ArmsMerchant is even worse then you are. I've been warned and infracted so many time just for disagreeing with that idiot.

You never did your job. You just pressed the ban button whenever you got butthurt about something. Very rarely did you ever hand out a ban that was necessary. And now you speak of banning "temple traitors" people from zoklet who abused power? What the fuck is a "temple traitor'? It's a goddamn internet forum get over yourself.

You've been up against the best on an online forum? Super cool story bro. I sure as hell fear you now. I was stupid to fuck with a guy who went up against the best usernames over a block of text. Your undeserved feelings of self importance are laughable. It's actually funny that the high point of your life was a BBS that died in the 90's and the fact that you so desperately cling on to it is pathetic.
    edited January 2011
    ....It's a goddamn internet forum get over yourself.

...a BBS that died in the 90's and the fact that you so desperately cling on to it is pathetic.

I don't think you have enough dedication to be a moderator anywhere on the Temple of the Screaming Electron, Sanchez. You have zero respect for its heritage, and your very presence on the moderator team is an insult to its memory. I say knock you down to regular to give you some time to appreciate all that Totse stands for - something of which you apparently have no idea about.
    edited January 2011
    I don't think you have enough dedication to be a moderator anywhere on the Temple of the Screaming Electron, Sanchez. You have zero respect for its heritage, and your very presence on the moderator team is an insult to its memory. I say knock you down to regular to give you some time to appreciate all that Totse stands for - something of which you apparently have no idea about.

I have over 6000 posts on here and stuck with this place even when everyone else including yourself left to go back to zoklet and I'm not dedicated? I support and know the totse values but I realize that the fucking bbs from the 90's is dead and that totse has evolved.

Are you also suggesting that because I'm a mod I shouldn't have my right to free speech? Is the 90's bbs some untouchable shrine in your mind? Maybe it's because it's all you have. Its the only thing you did with your short pathetic life. How does it feel knowing an old dial up internet site is your only "legacy"?
    edited January 2011
    I have over 6000 posts on here and stuck with this place even when everyone else including yourself left to go back to zoklet and I'm not dedicated? I support and know the totse values but I realize that the fucking bbs from the 90's is dead and that totse has evolved.

Are you also suggesting that because I'm a mod I shouldn't have my right to free speech? Is the 90's bbs some untouchable shrine in your mind? Maybe it's because it's all you have. Its the only thing you did with your short pathetic life. How does it feel knowing an old dial up internet site is your only "legacy"?
    Look at me, folks! I have 6,000 posts, so I must be good! *snickers* Lookit, Sanchez... you're only getting yourself in deeper, bud. Yes, you stuck around when everybody else left, but as for me, I was never here in the first place. And I expressly said the entire time that I wouldn't be here either until I was sure we were dealing with a stable platform with minimal kidiot infestation. But let's get back to you, Sanchez. You obviously have no idea what actual content is, as verified by your peers here in this thread, so why you would even be moderating here is beyond me... you'd think a mod would first need to know what actual content is before handling it... not some space-case who thinks spam is well worth taking your time to shovel through in thread after thread. Let's put it this way... you're a fucking clueless idiot when it comes to recognizing what should stay and what should be handled appropriately. The fact that you've been here long enough to make 6,000 posts means shit squat nothing if you have absolutely no discretionary skills, which you demonstratively do not. Personally, I think you're better off to step down until you, 1/Appreciate Totse itself, and 2/learn what spam as opposed to valid content is. Sorry to be so rough with ya, dude, but we needed to get this out before you do any real damage here.
    edited January 2011

Oh, please, Sanchez. Again, you are simply talking directly out of your ass. You NEVER had access to either Totse's M&A or Zoklet's M&A, so you really could have NO IDEA who abused what and who did what to who. In fact, Dfg, ArmsMerchant and myself were the only three moderators on Zoklet actually doing their job, where everybody else was just fucking around with their own personal preferences or sitting with their thumbs stuck up their asses. Dfg can verify this for you if you like. Of course people are gonna bitch at moderators who actually do their jobs... that's a given. I've come a long road, and I've been up against the best, and I didn't come this far to witness some fact-less n00b blow a lot of hot air into a thread, know what I mean, jelly bean? Thanks for playin'. ;)

the interwebz is a srs business gias ok
    edited January 2011
    And now you speak of banning "temple traitors" people from zoklet who abused power? What the fuck is a "temple traitor'? It's a goddamn internet forum get over yourself.

I came here to be with 'templars'. It is an unwritten code - rules not written, but fluid and dynamic - where every situation is treated on its own merits. A form of communication where rules lawyers cannot derp about precedent.

The way things work and how they should work are how a supreme court should work. After all, a trial by jury, instead of being a security to persons accused is nothiong more than a dillusion, a mockery and a snare to those that think they can bypass a trap.

Maybe they can, for a while bypass it, but history will judge them guilty.

If you wish to open a window into mens souls, that window must be open all of the time, the blinds must forever be drawn and you should never take your eye from it.

However, if your eye spends such times on one mans soul, it cannot look upon anothers and so you cannot compare one to another.

Unless you can enter the mind of that man, you can never know his own justifications.

That is unless you proclaim yourself to be omnipresent.
    edited January 2011
    I am omnipresent. Behold....

god.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Getting myself deeper in what exactly? Also while I'm at I'll give a big Fuck you towards Jeff Hunter as well. I hope you enjoy clinging to a 90's legacy created by an FBI informant. I'm all about free speech which is what this sites about so it seems I am in touch with totse values.

Do I cling to a dead site created by a fed? No I do not. You have also failed to answer how you have any room to talk on here when you have contributed jack shit? Jeff Hunter can suck my balls and so can you. This site is about free speech and information and I support that but stop living in the past Spectral. Wait I should probably be demodded for this since Jeff Hunter is a God who could do no wrong right? This sites about free speech and information not telling mods to suck jeff hunters dick or be unworthy of modding the place.
    edited January 2011
    I say knock you down to regular to give you some time to appreciate all that Totse stands for - something of which you apparently have no idea about.

I say leave him as he is - in this community, a badge means nothing, but it does put him in a better postion to learn. It has allready been proved that anyone with such a badge is not above anything.

Precedent is nothing at the moment, we need to move on and grow - let him grow as much as the community.

Anyone worthy of becoming part of this place will recognise people for what they are anyway.
    edited January 2011
    ... Also while I'm at I'll give a big Fuck you towards Jeff Hunter as well.

... Jeff Hunter can suck my balls...

JeffHunterGoodbyeWave.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Getting myself deeper in what exactly? Also while I'm at I'll give a big Fuck you towards Jeff Hunter as well. I hope you enjoy clinging to a 90's legacy created by an FBI informant. I'm all about free speech which is what this sites about so it seems I am in touch with totse values.

Do I cling to a dead site created by a fed? No I do not. You have also failed to answer how you have any room to talk on here when you have contributed jack shit? Jeff Hunter can suck my balls and so can you. This site is about free speech and information and I support that but stop living in the past Spectral. Wait I should probably be demodded for this since Jeff Hunter is a God who could do no wrong right?

We have to cling to the past because it is the only thing the guides us to the future and reminds us who we are.

Why did we even form totse.info?

To get away from zoklet, right?

Why did we want to leave? For freedom of speech, right?

But why leave zoklet, after all it is just like the majority of the internet?

It is when we think about what we had in the past, that we realize that what zoklet did, violates the beliefs that we share with those who created that 90s bbs.
    edited January 2011
    ...violates the beliefs that we share with those who created that 90s bbs.
    Sanchez would throw those beliefs into the gutter just for the sake of his own personal preferences. Sad case, if you ask me.
    edited January 2011
    We have to cling to the past because it is the only thing the guides us to the future and reminds us who we are.

Why did we even form totse.info?

To get away from zoklet, right?

Why did we want to leave? For freedom of speech, right?

But why leave zoklet, after all it is just like the majority of the internet?

It is when we think about what we had in the past, that we realize that what zoklet did, violates the beliefs that we share with those who created that 90s bbs.

We are inspired by the past but this place is more about free speech than the original totse ever was. They banned people left and right there but nobody here including myself wants that right? That means totse was a flawed site. The idea that I shouldn't be modded because I insulted Jeff Hunter is stupid as fuck. Totse was just as bad as zoklet as far as butthurt power hungry mods banning everyone but nobody seems to remember that.

I support TOTSE.INFO and it's mission not some dead forum created by a dude 20 years ago. And since this site is about free speech I'll say it again. FUCK Jeff Hunter and Fuck the original totse and all it's powerhungry moderators and kidiots. If a mod or anyone else can't say that on here than I guess this place isn't about free speech is it?
    edited January 2011
    Sanchez would throw those beliefs into the gutter just for the sake of his own personal preferences. Sad case, if you ask me.

If you were to mention grand ideals and principles on zoklet, they would just say, "lol it's just an internet forum guys", and would not take you seriously.
    edited January 2011
    We are inspired by the past but this place is more about free speech than the original totse ever was. They banned people left and right there but nobody here including myself wants that right? That means totse was a flawed site. The idea that I shouldn't be modded because I insulted Jeff Hunter is stupid as fuck. Totse was just as bad as zoklet as far as butthurt power hungry mods banning everyone but nobody seems to remember that.

I support TOTSE.INFO and it's mission not some dead forum created by a dude 20 years ago. And since this site is about free speech I'll say it again. FUCK Jeff Hunter and Fuck the original totse and all it's powerhungry moderators and kidiots. If a mod or anyone else can't say that on here than I guess this place isn't about free speech is it?

Of course the original totse was corrupt, but I would not put the entire blame on Jeff Hunter, the same way I would not blame Zok for all of zoklet. But the principles that totse was founded were great, almost holy to some. The site itself will have problems, so reject the site and accept its principles. Totse's corruption was a bit more unofficial and the magic made people stay, zoklet actually has rules against freedom of speech (yes, I know that they are minor but still exist).

Your moderating is better than the majority of zoklet. :thumbsup:
    edited January 2011

Do I cling to a dead site created by a fed?

Keep eating the shit that has been spoon fed to you. I will fill you on in a few facts and a little bit of opinion based on those facts.

-Totse was started as a hobby. John Voight may have been an agent and he may have been involved in sharing text files.

-Who ever started Totse passed it on and it was passed on many times.

-The main force (or the Jeff Hunter who opened Totse up to the WWW) is actually called Robert.

-Feds were involved in Totse history, but only as handlers.

-Those that were 'handled' played the game back and went native.

- Around 1994 the feds realised that any information that was shared was available from other online sources.

- After 1994 any fed involvement was purely on a personal level, not sanctioned. Feds 'dipped in' to the place to keep up with current trends.

- The legal team behind Totse was much more active than any sys op posting under the name of Jeff Hunter and not only dealt with legal issues but communicated site issues back to the sys ops who activly stayed away from the site due to the fear of being exposed.

- Zok could have become 'Jeff Hunter', but the sys op at the time would not pass this on to him for fear of what would become and rather than that shut the site.

- Zok showed what would have happened with zoklet.

The simple fact is, totse was controlled and ultimatly run by people with ideals. They were people who were all involved with each other in the late '80's and early '90's who shared an ideal. They could not find some one that could manage the site and who also shared the ideal

They were the guys who walked down the street and could not be identified. They had never been fingerprinted, or suspected of a crime. They may never have even commited a crime. They just wanted to share all knowledge.

From my own point of view, I have never shared who Jeff is. I did have the idea of making a documentary on internet information sharing and drawing it back to the 'Jeff' who had the biggest impact and did not expose him because it would impact on my own personal gain.

I decided against this as he is actually a decent guy who does not deserve the shit. There are people here who I trust - for one reason or another - pretty deeply and they understand I will not give him up.

Their understanding shows them to be 'templars'.

It is about being careful. I have communicated with others IRL - sending things through the post, but I send things to bars or businesses where they can pick up and they do the same with me.

Their can be no truth without anonymity, and accepting the anonymity of others is the first step in trust.
  • edited January 2011

That was after the infraction system was introduced, a system which I vocally despised.

After the infraction system’s implementation, the mods, especially Meta for whom the harassment infraction was created for by Zok(!), gradually turned into a bunch of thin-skinned crybabies. An effective Totse mod needed a good sense of humour and a very thick skin. So when those of a more brittle temperament and/or shorter fuse (e.g. Armsmerchant, Wires, Meta, etc…) were given the means to ban people, they used that ability liberally and promoted the ethos that it was their right as mods to defend themselves against their harassers. Approximately four years later and the situation has evolved on Zoklet to the point where mods now infract for being 'insulted', consequently weak and childish moderating has been allowed to proliferate largely unchallenged. This, I think, is the reason why mods now deal with situations by infraction; it's become the bedrock of mod-culture.

A good moderator(s) should be able to dominate a forum without resorting to these enfeebling tactics and good moderators are selected (and bad ones removed) by foresightful administrators who listen to intelligent advice.

Foresight and listening were never Zok's strong points.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Ftr my Internet disconnects every 5 minutes or so. I would love to comment on all the posts but I will keep it brief.

A) Dirty no one would demod you for raping Jeff Hunter. Infact you won't get demodded unless you fuck up big time and harm the community or you just ask to step down.
    B) Dr rocker thanks for the history lesson. I believe that we should follow the ideals and principles of Totse and try to follow a path of enlightenment and information. However, we're not required to implement all the failed policies. We should learn from the History and try to avoid past mistakes. Totse.info is Totse for many of us and it's the new and hopefully better Totse that only carters to the community. It's not owned by one man but it belongs to the Community which consists of contributing members and totseans who work hard on keeping this place alive.
    C) Slave of the Beast good to see you here. On Totse.info we have direct bans and I monitor them all the time. Plus we have 4 Global Mods who keep things in check. Abusing power is something that I want to prevent at any cost. When it comes to personal infractions they don't exist. Unless you're flooding Totse or harming the community no one would bother you but you get flood of insults and e-rape from Mods, Admin and users.

By aim to teach moderators to use different tactics to handle a crisis and avoid using power buttons to solve a problem.
    edited January 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    It's not owned by one man but it belongs to the Community which consists of contributing members and totseans who work hard on keeping this place alive.

Exactly. The way I see it, it is like a tree that has been planted in the woods. Someone planted it but that does not make it his tree. It should be left to nature help it grow. Anyone that wants to feed it can.
  • edited January 2011
    I feel bad for making flaccid_cock and speculum cry at the beginning of this thread. If I suck Jeff Cunter's dick will you two forgive me?
    edited January 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Exactly. The way I see it, it is like a tree that has been planted in the woods. Someone planted it but that does not make it his tree. It should be left to nature help it grow. Anyone that wants to feed it can.
    That's all well and good, but what do you do when some careless idiot comes along and starts pissing on the tree every day on his way to and from the local tavern, causing the bark to yellow, the leaves to wilt, the branches to fall off, and the very smell of it turned ugly? The tree you planted and nurtured is becoming a yellow pile of piss-slag as each day passes, with the hapless idiot smiling the whole way and pissing farther and farther up the tree. What do you do then? What would Jesus do? These are all very fine questions.

Glad to see you post, Slave of the Beast. I missed your name in the mentioning of the three mods who actually cared about the forums under their care, and I should have included it, but I will do so now, belated as it may be.