Looking for a group of dedicated Totseans (the more the better)...

edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Disclaimer: As the creator of this thread, I would just like to say that I do not take any responsibility for ANY actions which may or may happen as a result of IRL or Internet activities, and they are all to be treated as purely coincidental.

I'm looking to get some things underway and I can't do it all alone. This will require the combined skills and efforts of many Totseans, the use of an anonymous/secure method of communication, and some community input. I'd quite like to discuss ideas on IRC, which would be cool. Only problem is, anyone can use the Totse IRC and I don't want retards or snitches in on the whole thing.

Full ideas haven't really come to me yet, but I've got a general idea of how it's all going to work. it's also going to take some substantial planning and preparation or else it will fail.

If you're up for some cool shit, meet in IRC I guess.

Possible Communication Methods

IRC
IRC or even a message board over i2p
Meetups

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    You know I'm in :)
  • edited January 2011
    It's good to hear it dude. I'm currently drawing up some plans right now, trying to get some ideas down onto paper so that this can all be planned properly. I want every contender to vote on using a certain communication method in the end so we can all get in a conversation and get some shit done.
  • edited January 2011
    What part of the world are you in, for any potential meetups any how?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    I am neutral in this :). Since I am an Admin here I can't really you know get into things. I might need to defend things here, so it's better I remain outside of the main operations.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    I would recommend using GPG encrypted emails, that seems to be the most secure method of communication.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    Not saying I'm in, not saying I'm out, butteeeem ...

How hard would it be to host an (encrypted) IRC server on an old PC with a home internet connection? I'm guessing it wouldn't use much bandwidth and wouldn't require much hardware, but I honestly don't know that much about it (yet, Imma quick learner).

And there's the issue of dynamic IP's on regular internet connections.

Whatcha think? I've got the hardware laying around, anybody who can guess what this would cost in terms of bandwidth and how hard this all would be?

Oh, and I don't wanna risk being hacked by some script kiddie feeling anti-rebellious.

Hmmm, much to think about indeed.
  • edited January 2011
    If "anonymity" is required i would recommend irc or even a message board over i2p.

Easy to setup and resonable fast.
  • edited January 2011
    LiTW wrote: »
    If "anonymity" is required i would recommend irc or even a message board over i2p.

This sounds like a good option to look into... Thanks for this Unregistered ;)
  • edited January 2011
    If "anonymity" is required i would recommend irc .

Errrrr ummmmmmm, exactly when did IRC become good for "anonymous" chatting?
    Everything I've ever learned/heard, its the LEAST secure chatroom you could possibly find. :confused:
  • edited January 2011
    DaGuru wrote: »
    Errrrr ummmmmmm, exactly when did IRC become good for "anonymous" chatting?
    Everything I've ever learned/heard, its the LEAST secure chatroom you could possibly find. :confused:

Read the rest of the sentence, he was speaking about i2p. I'm not sure how to set it up and how well it works though.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    We could use #rimjobs:o
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    We could use #rimjobs:o

And let Zok read everything we say. Bravo.

:angry:
  • edited January 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    And let Zok read everything we say. Bravo.

:angry:

Isn't Zok in #codelove too?
  • edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Read the rest of the sentence, he was speaking about i2p. I'm not sure how to set it up and how well it works though.

Gotcha.....I figured as much you were only agreeing with the LAST part of that sentence, but since 2 people were saying the same thing I thought maybe I was wrong.

Admittedly I'm a complete noob with puters, and don't know much......but I do know enough to realize going into an IRC room is the equivalent of backing into a dark alley in the goatse position.....caveat emptor and all that jazz!
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    IRC is not a secure form of communication. Take it to the darknet, and use encryption if you're that concerned about someone finding out what you're up to.
  • edited January 2011
    We would greatly benefit with a secure, encrypted and anonymous form of communication. Everyone would have to connect with proxies too, for extra security. My main concern is someone getting their hands on the things which we are discussing.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    If you follow secure communication methods, your only concern will be the members who know what you're up to leaking that information to the public.

Make sure you trust these users before giving them access.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    So, a mailing list with GPG encrypted emails should be the most secure form of communication according to you, skunk.amkon?
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    I would think so, do you have any other ideas though? I'm always open to learning new information.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    I would think so, do you have any other ideas though? I'm always open to learning new information.

I don't. Networking is not my strong suit.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    You could start by communicating through hushmail in the meantime.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    How about Morse code?
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    f4he2u.png

A picture tells a thousand words.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    How about Morse code?

Relatively easy to decifer and probably harder to write in morse than to read it. Some other obscure code that we might even attempt to invent could probably work.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Vizier wrote: »
    Relatively easy to decifer and probably harder to write in morse than to read it. Some other obscure code that we might even attempt to invent could probably work.

I suggest we just go with Terrorist style communication. Lots of encryption and hidden codes.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    Just password protect zip files and passthem around via email.

inb4someonesendsavirus.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Let's just all meet in a mountain cabin in the middle of Russia in 3 months.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited January 2011
    Hmm... sounds fun but I can't use IRC now. My only access to the net is my phone.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited January 2011
    In sorry, I always forget that "there's an apparently for that". I'm in.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Just got out of a Police Station, but count me in
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited January 2011
    How about Morse code?

We could flash lights at each other.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited January 2011
    ...a message board over i2p.

^This.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm down for whatever whenever, I get my internet back friday.