Recommend me a pistol

DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
edited January 2011 in Man Cave
I'll be soon moving to a shithole for a couple of months as part of my job.

Any good solid, reliable pistol in the market?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Plenty
    Price range, prior experience, and will you be carrying (concealed or open) the pistol?
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    Max would have to be 2 grand.

I've only shot rifles, never a pistol and it has be concealed from the public.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    well of course there is the glok not to expensive and easy to maintain in working order. but my favorite is the luger just because of the way it looks and the way its firing mechanism works.
  • edited January 2011
    2 grand is more than enough for any good CCW handgun. In fact, you'll be able to afford any good reliable carry piece, and a 22 pistol to learn how to shoot pistols. Hell, you could buy a pretty nice .22 revolver and build up to a great 38/357 revolver for self defense with enough money to buy a mountain of ammo. That's the route I'd recommend.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    i saw in a Gun magazine a pistol called The Judge. it was a 50 cal. pistol that fired 410 shellz as well it looked badass! i dont know how functional it was but the concept of just seemed cool lol
    edited January 2011
    Well, I'm just interested in an overall decent pistol I can get for the money. One will suffice.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    JestA wrote: »
    i saw in a Gun magazine a pistol called The Judge. it was a 50 cal. pistol that fired 410 shellz as well it looked badass! i dont know how functional it was but the concept of just seemed cool lol

More like a .45 caliber and it's not that great of a gun. A .410 shell is completely useless out of a barrel that short.:facepalm:
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    More like a .45 caliber and it's not that great of a gun. A .410 shell is completely useless out of a barrel that short.:facepalm:

i know it just was a cool concept and it looked cool. the magazine said 50 cal. i guess they was wrong :(
  • edited January 2011
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Well, I'm just interested in an overall decent pistol I can get for the money. One will suffice.

If you just want to buy one, get a 4" barrel Smith and Wesson .357 magnum. It's the best compromise between ease of learning (use .38 special wadcutters, then go to regular .38, then .38+P, then .357 if you still feel undergunned), concealability vs controlability (snub nose is damn near impossible to learn one without developing hundreds of potential bad habits), ease of acquisition (S&W revolvers are easy to find, every flavor of .38 can be found at your local gun store), and firepower, since you don't need 33 rounds to defend yourself in a shitty part of town, unless that town is Kabul.
  • edited January 2011
    JestA wrote: »
    i know it just was a cool concept and it looked cool. the magazine said 50 cal. i guess they was wrong :(

mixing .45LC and .410 has been going on since the turn of the century.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited January 2011
    if you have any friends with pistols, or your gun range as a bunch of pistols you can borrow, see which calibers seem comfortable for you
  • 5.56 SS1095.56 SS109 Regular
    edited January 2011
    Go get a Generation 3 GLOCK 19 or a 9mm H&K USP Compact and you will live happily ever after.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    5.56 SS109 wrote: »
    GLOCK 19

This.

Forget all the caliber debates, gun debates, theories, stories and other shit. You're not trying to get into guns, you're not trying to know everything about guns. What you need is a reliable self-defense tool which will work when you need it, and a glock is it. I don't know much about the different generations, but I do know the reputation of glocks. It's the gun for people who are serious about self defense and don't care about the rest.

Buy a glock. Buy a GOOD concealed carry gunbelt and 5 spare magazines and pouches for them. And get training. I cannot stress this enough. Get some serious self-defense shooting training from a good instructor. Ask around at your local gunrange for advice on the belt, the ammo and the training you should buy. And remember: quality has a cheapness in it's own. Especially when it comes to protecting your life. Try stuff out and listen to experienced people. And run like hell when you meet somebody saying handguns are meant to fight your way to your rifle.

Read everything this dude writes about firerarms and self-defense and think long and hard about it.
    This site has a lot of good reads too.
  • edited January 2011
    Go get a Generation 3 GLOCK 19 or a 9mm H&K USP Compact and you will live happily ever after.

Glocks are one of the worst first guns you can have because of the bar of soap ergos. If you learn how to shoot on a glock you'll never be able to point shoot any other gun accurately and point shooting is how people who aren't immune to adrenaline defend themselves in real life situations. In short, ignore this jackass.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    Glocks are one of the worst first guns you can have because of the bar of soap ergos. If you learn how to shoot on a glock you'll never be able to point shoot any other gun accurately and point shooting is how people who aren't immune to adrenaline defend themselves in real life situations. In short, ignore this jackass.

First gun? Who says he's going to buy several guns? And why would he need to defend himself with a different gun if a glock is what he's carrying? Not to mention the fact that trough proper training it's perfectly possible to learn to point shoot a new gun.

A glock is without a doubt one of the most reliable pistols you can buy. They are common, they are relatively inexpensive, they can be bought in most common handgun calibers, they are simple to operate and maintain. To make a long story short, a glock pistol is the handgun of choice for people who want one gun on which they can bet their life.

The only people dissing glocks are people who care more about the gun itself than about the usefulness as a weapon because a glock is made to be the perfect close range firearm and looks ugly in a display cabinet.
  • edited January 2011
    Amie wrote: »
    First gun? Who says he's going to buy several guns? And why would he need to defend himself with a different gun if a glock is what he's carrying? Not to mention the fact that trough proper training it's perfectly possible to learn to point shoot a new gun.

A glock is without a doubt one of the most reliable pistols you can buy. They are common, they are relatively inexpensive, they can be bought in most common handgun calibers, they are simple to operate and maintain. To make a long story short, a glock pistol is the handgun of choice for people who want one gun on which they can bet their life.

The only people dissing glocks are people who care more about the gun itself than about the usefulness as a weapon because a glock is made to be the perfect close range firearm and looks ugly in a display cabinet.

I'm looking for a Glock 19 as a carry gun, I don't have an anti Glock bias, just not dumb enough to recommend it to a first time pistol shooter. And did you seriously recommend 5 mags and a gunbelt for a concealed carry pistol?
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    And did you seriously recommend 5 mags and a gunbelt for a concealed carry pistol?

Yes. One of the most important advantages of a handgun over a revolver is that it is much faster to reload. But that only counts if you're carrying spare mags. I'm not saying he should carry 5 mags every day, but carrying two extra mags with a loaded pistol is IMO normal. The other three are spares and make it easier and more fun to practice, and if your neighbourhood get really ugly you can carry them (while moving the hell out of there).

What's wrong with a gunbelt? I'm not talking the kinda a cowboy wears, I'm talking one of those dedicated concealed carry belts. If I'm using the wrong word, feel free to correct me, English is not my first language.
    edited January 2011
    Yes. One of the most important advantages of a handgun over a revolver is that it is much faster to reload. But that only counts if you're carrying spare mags. I'm not saying he should carry 5 mags every day, but carrying two extra mags with a loaded pistol is IMO normal. The other three are spares and make it easier and more fun to practice, and if your neighbourhood get really ugly you can carry them (while moving the hell out of there).

What's wrong with a gunbelt? I'm not talking the kinda a cowboy wears, I'm talking one of those dedicated concealed carry belts. If I'm using the wrong word, feel free to correct me, English is not my first language.

:facepalm::facepalm: Please tell me what situation he could possibly find himself in that he needs to extra magazines? This isn't war you idiot it's a concealed carry. Oh and OP you may want to check out a .38 special. It's easy to conceal but has good stopping power.
    edited January 2011
    Yeah guys. I'm not going to Kenya. The likelihood of me even firing one isn't THAT high. All I know is that I'm gonna stick out for sure and where I'll be going, crime rates are pretty high. These guys will kill you for a pair of jordans.
  • edited January 2011
    Yeah guys. I'm not going to Kenya. The likelihood of me even firing one isn't THAT high. All I know is that I'm gonna stick out for sure and where I'll be going, crime rates are pretty high. These guys will kill you for a pair of jordans.

The average number of shots fired in a defensive situation is...

You won't be reloading unless you decide to engage the invading Chinese army.

Besides, most of the time just showing a gun is enough.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    Read this.

If you get into a gunfight, stressing the if, you're probably going to need a lot more than two rounds. Better to have it and never need it than to need it and not have it IMO.
  • edited January 2011
    Read this.

If you get into a gunfight, stressing the if, you're probably going to need a lot more than two rounds. Better to have it and never need it than to need it and not have it IMO.

OP is not moving to a third world Latin American country suffering the results of a complete economic and societal breakdown, he's moving to some nigger infested shithole. They'd spook at the sight of a derringer.
    edited January 2011
    OP is not moving to a third world Latin American country suffering the results of a complete economic and societal breakdown, he's moving to some nigger infested shithole. They'd spook at the sight of a derringer.
    No dude. I am moving to a 3rd world shithole in South America. :facepalm:

I don't see any difference whether it's niggers or spics though.
  • edited January 2011
    No dude. I am moving to a 3rd world shithole in South America. :facepalm:

I don't see any difference whether it's niggers or spics though.

Buy a .308 battle rifle
    edited January 2011
    CHILL. Come on.
    edited January 2011
    CHILL. Come on.

Seriously just get the GLOCK 19 or USP Compact.

Anybody telling you those aren't good choice is just looking to troll.

Don't buy into the "if you learn or a GLOCK, you won't be able to shoot other guns" or whatever the fuck that guy is talking about. He is just projecting his inability to make hits onto the gun.

Seriously, once somebody says a GLOCK 19 isn't a good choice for a concealed carry handgun, that should be a hint to just ignore any advice they ever give.

Of course you could get a S&W 5906, Beretta 92, S&W M&P, CZ75 or a GLOCK 17.

But those are a bit larger than the GLOCK 19 and that might prevent you from carrying them all the time.

The GLOCK 19 is just a bit larger than a 5 shot .38 Special with hand filling grips on it. Plus you have 16 rounds available, most likely you won't need them, but can anyone honestly say that the extra ammunition gives you ANY disadvantage?

The GLOCK 19 is supremely reliable and pretty much sets the standard by which all other 9mm pistols are judged.

And of course you could go with the H&K USP Compact if you want something a bit more refined and accurate, the H&K might also fit your hand better than the GLOCK, but holding them is something you'll have to do yourself.
    edited January 2011

Don't buy into the "if you learn or a GLOCK, you won't be able to shoot other guns" or whatever the fuck that guy is talking about. He is just projecting his inability to make hits onto the gun.

Seriously, once somebody says a GLOCK 19 isn't a good choice for a concealed carry handgun, that should be a hint to just ignore any advice they ever give.

But those are a bit larger than the GLOCK 19 and that might prevent you from carrying them all the time.

The GLOCK 19 is just a bit larger than a 5 shot .38 Special with hand filling grips on it. Plus you have 16 rounds available, most likely you won't need them, but can anyone honestly say that the extra ammunition gives you ANY disadvantage?

The GLOCK 19 is supremely reliable and pretty much sets the standard by which all other 9mm pistols are judged.

And of course you could go with the H&K USP Compact if you want something a bit more refined and accurate, the H&K might also fit your hand better than the GLOCK, but holding them is something you'll have to do yourself.

I'm gonna print this whole page out. Thanks.
  • edited January 2011

jBTlq.jpg

Work on your reading comprehension, a Glock 19 is a great concealed carry gun, but a horrible first pistol.
  • edited January 2011
    spazz wrote: »
    Listen to fatty. Glocks are good guns but mostly JUST A LOT OF HYPE.

personally i like old Rugers by my side something smaller then .45 and you should be able to get a good, brand new gun for less then $500 if you dont get carried away.

Hell, you can get a used Ruger P-series for around $300 easily. I bought a P-89 for $250 at the height of Obamania.
    edited January 2011
    Damn spazz, that gun looks sexy. Is it any noob-friendly?
  • edited January 2011

Too much recoil just because of its size and weight. If you learn on a .22 pistol about that size (two examples would be a Phoenix Arms HP-22 for ~$100-150 or a Taurus PT22 for ~$200-250) it would be a good choice for carry.
    edited January 2011

It is way too small to get a proper grip on, plus the sights aren't that good and the caliber (.380 Auto) in inadequate for self defense purposes.

It is also a pretty low quality pistol.
  • edited January 2011
    the sights aren't that good
    Do a lot of target shooting with .380 pocket pistols?
    .380 Auto inadequate for self defense purposes.
    Idiot
    Troll
    edited January 2011
    Idiot

Troll

LOL!

Anything made by Ruger that has a polymer frame is junk.

Anything invented by Keltec, then copied by Ruger, is even a bigger piece of junk.

You can trust your life to an unreliable welfare pistol if you want, I don't care.
    edited January 2011
    Do a lot of target shooting with .380 pocket pistols?

No, I don't own any .380 pocket pistols.

They are unreliable and in an unsuitable caliber.

If you can't hit a target on the range in a recreational setting, how do you think you will perform under stress?
  • edited January 2011
    No, I don't own any .380 pocket pistols.

They are unreliable and in an unsuitable caliber.

If you can't hit a target on the range in a recreational setting, how do you think you will perform under stress?

You don't have to hit a nigger in the x ring to scare him off.
  • edited January 2011
    LOL!

Anything made by Glock that has a polymer frame is junk.

Anything invented by Glock, then copied by H&K, is even a bigger piece of junk.

You can trust your life to an unreliable welfare pistol if you want, I don't care.

Unsupported generalizations are fun!
    edited January 2011
    Unsupported generalizations are fun!

GLOCK copied H&K :facepalm:
    edited January 2011
    It is way too small to get a proper grip on, plus the sights aren't that good and the caliber (.380 Auto) in inadequate for self defense purposes.

.380 is inadequate for self defense?:facepalm: Are you implying that a .30 won't kill a person? It's about shot placement not caliber you fucking idiot.
    edited January 2011
    .380 is inadequate for self defense?:facepalm: Are you implying that a .30 won't kill a person? it's about shot placement not caliber you fucking idiot.

Do you not know the definition of the word "inadequate"?

Also, when did I say anything about ".30", what the fuck is ".30" anyways?
  • edited January 2011

H&K copied Remington :facepalm:
    I was referring to civilian CCW-marketed double stacks, not polymer technology in firearms.
    edited January 2011
    H&K copied Remington :facepalm:
    I was referring to civilian CCW-marketed double stacks, not polymer technology in firearms.

Gaston Glock designed the Model 17 with the intent to market it to the Austrian military.

H&K specifically made the USP to market to US civilians.

So, you are still not making any real point.
    edited January 2011
    How the fuck do you guys know so much about pistols? Hicks???
  • edited January 2011
    Gaston Glock designed the Model 17 with the intent to market it to the Austrian military.

H&K specifically made the USP to market to US civilians.

So, you are still not making any real point.

Are you seriously suggesting that Glock invented the polymer gun?
  • edited January 2011
    How the fuck do you guys know so much about pistols? Hicks???

No, we're just not ignorant
    edited January 2011
    Are you seriously suggesting that Glock invented the polymer gun?

No.

What the fuck are you talking about?
  • edited January 2011
    No.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Then how did Glock copy H&K?
    edited January 2011
    Then how did Glock copy H&K?

H&K made this when GLOCK was still making curtain rods:

400px-HK_VP70Z_1890.jpg

The "Z" making denotes at as the civilian model.

So, H&K was the first company to come out with a double stack, polymer framed pistol that was marketed to civilians.
  • edited January 2011
    H&K made this when GLOCK was still making curtain rods:

400px-HK_VP70Z_1890.jpg

The "Z" making denotes at as the civilian model.

So, H&K was the first company to come out with a double stack, polymer framed pistol that was marketed to civilians.

Designed for military use as a 3 round burst machine pistol, jackass.
  • edited January 2011
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: