Recommend me a pistol

2»

Comments

• 5.56 SS1095.56 SS109 Regular
    edited January 2011
    Designed for military use as a 3 round burst machine pistol, jackass.

That was the M model.

The Z model was strictly marketed to civilians.
  • edited January 2011
    5.56 SS109 wrote: »
    That was the M model.

The Z model was strictly marketed to civilians.

Z model was a modified version of the design after its release as a machine pistol. You can see photos of the first version on HK Pro with stock cuts.
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
    edited January 2011
    Z model was a modified version of the design after its release as a machine pistol. You can see photos of the first version on HK Pro with stock cuts.

It was still around before the GLOCK 17.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    Do you not know the definition of the word "inadequate"?

Also, when did I say anything about ".30", what the fuck is ".30" anyways?

It's called a typo faggot. And you still haven't answered why it's inadequate even though shot placement is vastly more important than the size of the bullet.
  • edited January 2011
    It was still around before the GLOCK 17.

By that logic the Garand was the first semi auto civilian AKM pattern weapon, since it's just a design evolution.
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
    edited January 2011
    It's called a typo faggot. And you still haven't answered why it's inadequate even though shot placement is vastly more important than the size of the bullet.

If shot placement is so important, why do you just carry a pellet pistol?

I mean, put it through someone's eye and they will most likely die, right?

So, why even own anything but a pellet pistol?
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    ^ Are pellet pistols cheaper than a pistol?

It's always good to economize. :cool:
    edited January 2011
    By that logic the Garand was the first semi auto civilian AKM pattern weapon, since it's just a design evolution.

:rolleyes:
  • edited January 2011
    :rolleyes:

:fap:
    edited January 2011
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    ^ Are pellet pistols cheaper than a pistol?

It's always good to economize. :cool:

Yeah you can get one for $30.

And since shot placement matters over everything, maybe that's what you should do.

Dirtysanchez is well regarded as an expert on firearms and terminal ballistics, so anything he says is obviously well researched and present in a logical manner.

I mean, he's the same guy who said the Thompson has been in more armed conflicts than the Uzi, so how can you not take him seriously.

:facepalm:
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    Real men use an Obrez
    obrez.jpg
    edited January 2011
    spazz wrote: »
    a big fancy gun will not makeup for being a bad marksman. also, you dont have to be a genius to use a gun.(pretty straight forward)

the ruger LCP .380 is not too much for a beginner to handle. Just hold one before you buy it to make sure your hands are not to big. they have a very sharp recoil and will try to flip out of your hands, but my mom(gun n00b) had no problems using one. last i heard she had 300 rounds put through it without a problem.

Its one of those guns that you can carry and use every day,keep it in your glove box,pants pocket,socks,girlfriends bra or just stick it next to your bed and keep it there!

The grip geometry has to be large enough to get a solid grip on or you will not be able to shoot a pistol well.

I would say the pocket .380s are about the worst gun for a beginner to start on as the sharp recoil impulse promotes flinching and anticipating trigger break and recoil.

A mid-size or service size pistol is the easiest to shoot well, and is easy for a beginner to get used to.

Yeah the P3AT and LCP size pistols are light and easy to carry or whatever, but if you use a decent holster and a decent belt you can carry any normal pistol comfortably.

Anybody except the most misshapen of people should be able to conceal a Government Model 1911 without any issue, it all comes down to holster and belt selection.

And the GLOCK 19 is no harder to conceal than a S&W J-Frame, so there is really no way any of the firearms I recommended are too large.

Plus the guy has $2K to play with, why do you suggest that he limit his choices to the some of lowest grade of firearms on the market?

Also, OP, I forgot to mention, metal-framed S&W pistols can be found used at very low prices. If you can find a S&W 6906 or S&W 3913 and you happen to like them, I can't recommend them enough and they are fantastic pistols and built like tanks.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    No dude. I am moving to a 3rd world shithole in South America. :facepalm:

Then take the advice of the people who live in one of those shitholes every day and can talk to people who have been in gunfights or have been themselves. Buy a glock, buy a couple extra magazines, buy a good, comfortable belt (try it on in the store, look if it's concealed AND easy to get to your gun) and take a good defensive shooting class.

If - again, stressing the if - you get into a gunfight, you'll be panicking, you'll have tunnel vision, you won't be able to read, you won't be able to think properly. In those circumstances, your first two rounds will not be placed center of mass. So you need to keep pulling the trigger until he goes down and then reload to take care of his buddies. The chances of getting in a gunfight are very low, even in most of south america, but if you do, you want to be carrying a reliable weapon, enough ammo and you want to be trained to use it.

Or you can listen to the armchair commando's who you will encounter everywhere who will tell you you only need two .22 rounds placed center of mass. After all, they have been in countless gunfights in just about every first person shooter game on the market.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    Amie wrote: »
    Or you can listen to the armchair commando's who you will encounter everywhere who will tell you you only need two .22 rounds placed center of mass. After all, they have been in countless gunfights in just about every first person shooter game on the market.

Thou forgot the second type of armchair commando, the typically younger ones who suggest a handgun chambered in .50 AE, because everybody knows that the Desert Eagle is the most elite handgun used by the greatest of Commando and Special Forces units around the world, :facepalm:'s Rolf.

Rolf suggests not underestimating the .22, as a .22 JHP would be perfect self-defense against young children on halloween and against dreaded zombie-wrabbit invasions that are doubtlessly going to happen soon, states Rolf.
  • edited January 2011

Comparing .380 to 22lr, are we?

And you're the one calling people armchair commando.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes. One of the most important advantages of a handgun over a revolver is that it is much faster to reload. But that only counts if you're carrying spare mags. I'm not saying he should carry 5 mags every day, but carrying two extra mags with a loaded pistol is IMO normal. The other three are spares and make it easier and more fun to practice, and if your neighbourhood get really ugly you can carry them (while moving the hell out of there).

What's wrong with a gunbelt? I'm not talking the kinda a cowboy wears, I'm talking one of those dedicated concealed carry belts. If I'm using the wrong word, feel free to correct me, English is not my first language.

You know, I was going to read though all three pages until I got to this nonsense. You have some serious delusions of grandeur if you think you're going to need 5 fucking magazines to eliminate a civilan threat. If you need that kind of ammunition stack, then you arn't just walking side streets. You're in war. That kind of mentality is what murders by standers.

I had one of my younger brother's friends say I was under armed with my 1911 and one 7 round magazine in my nightstand. He wasn't willing to give breaking in to my apartment a go though. I fully understand the mechanics of using a firearm with the intent to kill, as I lived the shit. I don't need 5 magazines to drop someone. If you do, then you need to either hit the range and practice or have your FOID card revoked.
    Amie wrote:

If - again, stressing the if - you get into a gunfight, you'll be panicking, you'll have tunnel vision, you won't be able to read, you won't be able to think properly. In those circumstances, your first two rounds will not be placed center of mass. So you need to keep pulling the trigger until he goes down and then reload to take care of his buddies. The chances of getting in a gunfight are very low, even in most of south america, but if you do, you want to be carrying a reliable weapon, enough ammo and you want to be trained to use it.

Bad advice. Telling someone to sit there and keep squeezing the trigger in to a crowd. Jesus H. Christ. Get some training. Adrenalin should focus you. That's the point of it. It always did me. I might not have been able to sit down and read a book, or long hand division, but I knew what the fuck I was aiming at. As I said before, if you need more than one magazine to drop a gangbanger, you're doing it wrong.

BACK on topic though. As much as I do not care for Glocks, they are decent and relatively cheap pistols. I can't deny that, they just never have worked well for me. Personal preference. I like a 1911, but it's mainly because they fit me well and I'm used to them. I finally got around to shooting a Beretta 92F, and I will say it was a pretty good unit. Much better than the sloppy old POS M9 I was issued. Always liked the feel of the M9, but the one I was issued was nearly worthless.

If you can carry a full sized pistol do so. Carry whatever fits your hand the best. For me it's always been full sized metal framed pistols. Whatever fits your hands the best, is what you want. It will enable you to manage recoil the best, and get back on target.

The only thing I can tell you to stay away from is the .40 though. Snappy little bastard is hard to get back on target reliably, and not a good overall cartridge for someone not used to that kind of abuse. The .45 and 9mikemike kind of give a push compared to the SNAP of a .40.

Go to a range and rent every pistol you can get your hands on. <---- Best advice of thread.
    edited January 2011
    acid_drop wrote: »
    The only thing I can tell you to stay away from is the .40 though. Snappy little bastard is hard to get back on target reliably, and not a good overall cartridge for someone not used to that kind of abuse. The .45 and 9mikemike kind of give a push compared to the SNAP of a .40.

This is great advice as well and figured it was worth repeating.

The .40 gives you nothing over the 9x19 and .45 except less capacity, snappy recoil, and it beats the hell out of guns it is chambered in.

Here is a decent reference to how different handgun calibers compare to each other, it is not the end all be all, but it is a good baseline for comparison.

Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

Aside from varying temporary cavitation at the entry point (which doesn't matter anyway when it comes to real tissue and handgun calibers) they all pretty much perform the same, so don't get hung up on the extra 2 millimeters of .45 thinking it will make a difference, 9x19 is all you need.

Plus the 9x19 gives you a wide selection of ammo that is cheaper than pretty much every other centerfire pistol caliber, you get more capacity and you get less recoil.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited January 2011
    I agree. I don't get hung up on pistol caliber. I like the 1911 due to the frame fits my hand.

I'd be a huge 92F fanboi if I didn't get scarred by the jam-o-matic M9 I was issued. I will say as I did before, that I fell back in love with the ergos of my friends 92f. And I didn't experience a FTF or a FTE as I always did with my M9. I'd carry that fucking 92f if I did carry. Hell I'd keep one in my nightstand rather than the 1911. I'll eventually buy one.

As I said, I'm not hung up on caliber. 9mikemike has enough killing power and capacity to be essentially the best sidearm in the world. That's also why the .mil and .gov use it. That's why I was issued it, and if I had gotten my friends 92 I would have raped that thing at the range. Goood ergos.

I use a .45 because I'm used to the frame and always been super reliable. It's also an RIA pistol- for the haters. I don't carry though. Not looked on well in chi-town. And I don't get fucked with anyway.

Oh yeah, stay away from .45 for practice. Ammo is goddamned nutso expensive.