Stealing a Computer

DerelictmyballsDerelictmyballs Acolyte
edited January 2011 in Man Cave
I know a lot of people say you shouldn't sell something that was stolen recently on Craigslist, however I have a question regarding something like that.

If I were to steal a computer from somebody in town A, what if I posted the ad up for somewhere in town B or C the next state over, that's like an hour away?

Would that be a better idea?

Comments

• JBvenom777JBvenom777 New Arrival
    edited January 2011
    Any answer i give you, will be a bad idea, hence the name of the forum.
    In all seriousness, i would wait about 5-6 months, after removing all serial #'s of said device, and then post it on craigslist, in town B or C, or sell to buddy, and have him sell it in another state. :)
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited January 2011
    Wipe the disks, remove the labels/serials and stick some laptop stickers on the case.
  • DerelictmyballsDerelictmyballs Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I had all intentions of probably getting one of those colored cases that are like ten bucks and putting it on it to add to the anonymity. Obviously I'd be wiping all the disks.

And I just knew someone would comment on my usage of the phrase "better idea"...
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited January 2011
    Aw, thats plain not cool. You can steal a pc, but not the data. Drop the HD off later. Dont be a douche.
    edited January 2011
    Haha, I imagine me returning all his somewhat important stuff on a dvd with "Sorry" written on it in sharpie. Nah, trust me this kid's a piece of shit.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited January 2011
    Haha, I imagine me returning all his somewhat important stuff on a dvd with "Sorry" written on it in sharpie. Nah, trust me this kid's a piece of shit.

Do that and encrypt a virus.
  • fr0st_Bytefr0st_Byte Sumpin' c00L
    edited January 2011
    Is it a newer type Lap top? Or just a desk top pc?

If so, watch out man. I have seen more than a few people get caught by a low-jack system.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited January 2011
    Hellish wrote: »
    Aw, thats plain not cool. You can steal a pc, but not the data. Drop the HD off later. Dont be a douche.

I've thought about it before, and this is exactly what I've decided I'd do if I ever stole a computer. The computer is replaceable, the data isn't.
  • edited January 2011
    fr0st_Byte wrote: »

If so, watch out man. I have seen more than a few people get caught by a low-jack system.

This. Lo-jack will catch people out, although it is removable.

Selling on Craigslist is fine, as long as you give it a reasonable amount of time before selling so the heat has died off. Sell it a few towns over, de-branded with totally wiped disks and possibly a different case. You might also want to go over it all with a UV light to check if someone has written their name on it with one of those invisible pens.
    edited January 2011
    fr0st_Byte wrote: »

It's a newer lap top. Low-Jack is that like tracking device thingie, right? That program is software based so I figure I'll just wipe the disk and reformat the computer which would take care of that little problem. And Nice call on the UV light, that'd be ridiculous to find after the matter.
  • edited January 2011
    From a few Google searches, there are two ways you can remove lojack from a computer system. Don't take any chances though - so don't turn on the system without firstly formatting it completely with something such as a linux disc. Lojack can also reside in the BIOS, which is another place you might have to remove it from.
    edited January 2011
    The idea was to install Linux immediately, anyway, since it kind of makes the computer automatically appear different. That way if for some reason the kid did happen along it, I'd just be like, "Ummm...no, I have Linux." It also helps my case that EVERY FUCKING PERSON at this school has a mac laptop.

Though the intentions are to get the computer the fuck outta dodge right after it's taken.
  • edited January 2011
    If I research this a little bit and collect some info from different sources then I might be able to write a guide on how to steal a laptop or computer. All I know is that you need to;

Resist the urge to turn it on and play around with it.
    Give it a good wipe down with some cleaning materials so that there's no traces left from the previous owner.
    Boot with a live CD (preferably Ubuntu as it's just easy to use) and format the HDD completely.
    Check the BIOS for any lojack settings. (You might have to re-install the BIOS or something)
    Install a new OS onto it.
    edited January 2011
    Undercover and Lowjack don't work while the computer is turned off, correct?
  • edited January 2011
    Undercover and Lowjack don't work while the computer is turned off, correct?

That is something I'm not sure about. I know that you CAN get that kind of tracking device as physical hardware as well as software, but I'm not sure it's something which they'd bother putting on some randomer's laptop computer. It's the sort of thing which is used on Government vehicles etc.

I think it's fairly safe to say that there won't be any tracking when the laptop is turned off, no.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited January 2011
    I wouldn't worry about serial numbers. I don't know ANYONE who records the serial numbers of all their components. Just do what they said, check for lojack in BIOS and format the HDD and you should be good. Though I'd want to isolate the computer from network and check for interesting data first.