Winter project: Building a boat

strapped felonstrapped felon Acolyte
edited January 2011 in Life
I ordered plans for this little 11ft runabout and got to building it in mid July 2010. It's almost done, I'm mocking up the wiring and controls and getting ready for fiberglass and paint in the spring. So far it's been a super fun project besides the random trips to the lumber yard and lowes.

I probably have about a grand into it right now not including the 50hp outboard I'm using to power this thing. I know, it's probably overkill but I'll enjoy having the power there.

Here are some pics of when I started up till now:

2mg37ko.jpg
24eak5f.jpg
b8scba.jpg
i74fhk.jpg

Comments

• MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited January 2011
    cool man. :thumbsup: that will be a big engine for such a small boat, but have fun haulin balls man!
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    I am not great when it comes to boat but even I can see that boat will kick ass. Great work.

It would be nice to have guide or some sort with the pictures.
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited January 2011
    That's rather sick!
    I am rather jealous would you mind if I asked you put up a bit more of a breakdown of costs?
    I presume a lot of the cost is the marine ply?
  • edited January 2011
    That looks fully sick dude, amazing work so far. You should name her "The Totsean".
  • strapped felonstrapped felon Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    The Totsean, I like it. Or maybe just "Totsea".

3 sheets marine grade AA ply: $180
    Lumber: estimating around $300. I'm using a mix of douglass fir, white oak, ash, all depending on what I can find at the lumberyard.
    Steering system: $150
    Gauges, misc electrical parts, hardware: $120 so far
    Epoxy for encapsulating inside: $100
    Used 50hp* motor off craigslist: $125, got a sick deal on this.

I'll need a fiberglassing kit $245, Supermarine paint $300... the list goes on

Oh yeah, I paid $60 for the plans. I kinda dove into the project because the boat looks so cool and I didn't really take into consideration the costs. Can't quit now, though.

2rcqwwi.jpg

*When I'm ready to take it out for the maiden voyage I'm thinking of selling tickets and all the proceeds can go towards my medical bills.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Can I have plans plz?
  • strapped felonstrapped felon Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    spazz wrote: »
    Wow dude, you got serious carpentry skills and patience!And a nice shop.Good joins.
    .do you plan on coating it with fiber glass?And do the plans say anything about ridges along the hull to help with low speed tracking? or is it not for low speed :p

Thanks for the kind words sir. Im not sure what you mean by ridges, the bottom of the hull is smooth except for the transitions from bottom to side. The longitudinals that run along the floor are battens which my planking rides on.

This boat will mostly be a cruiser at moderate speeds but if its a real calm day ill be able to open it up. Its flat bottom is great for speed but bad in rough waters, as ive heard from some veteran boaters.

My flamethrower should make a nice accessory.