So.. what have we all learned?

MrGoatboyMrGoatboy Semo-Regulars
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
It's been 7+ years, guys. Hopefully the majority of us no longer know the woes of hiding our pot addictions, or jerking off in the 'rents basement (and/or pool house). Some of the old Totse hotties have goddamned kids now. Anyway, you guys know, whether you were 4, 14, or 40 seven years ago, what have you motley fucks learned in the past 7/10ths of a decade? :p

Comments

• GallowsGallows Regular
    edited January 2011
    I've learned that the world is not as grand as I thought it was.
  • edited January 2011
    Gallows wrote: »
    I've learned that the world is not as grand as I thought it was.

This. And just because people are "grown up" doesn't mean they have their shit together.

Gallows sums it up pretty well though.
  • mynicknamemynickname Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    I concur with whats above
  • edited January 2011
    I have learned that I can have a relationship that lasts longer than a couple of weeks, and that the cost of screwing it up is proportional to the amount of time invested.
    I learned that I can be good at other professions than cooking (foundryman).
    I learned that I am a loner, but still really need friends.
    I learned that meth is the worst/best drug in the world, heroin previously occupied this slot.
    I learned that I can sing and play guitar at the same time after all, it just needs to be a simple song that I have known for years.
    I learned I can be a good manager and get good results from the people working under me, I just don't like doing it because being someones boss usually means you can't be their friend.
    I learned that some people in my life I had always thought to be making better decisions than myself were actually making worse ones and denying their inner nature.
    I learned I have been misspelling common words for the last 20 years.
    I learned I cant live ghetto style anymore, it just sucks balls and I wonder why I romanticized the years I spent doing it.
    I learned a healthy fear of death, not so much to make me timid, but enough to stop me from being reckless(most of the time)

C/O
    "I learn, I think?"
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited January 2011
    dont smoke cigs next thing u no ur smoking 3 in under a hour under a brige then i drank 3 beers l8er that nite cus my frind found som 6 pack a beer in his garage his parints forgot about :o:o:o:o:o
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited January 2011
    Let's see... how old was I seven years ago... ten? A whole bunch of shit, but I think the best one I learned is to just shut up.
  • edited January 2011
    skyclaw441 wrote: »
    Let's see... how old was I seven years ago... ten? A whole bunch of shit, but I think the best one I learned is to just shut up.

Haha. For now grasshopper, for now.

You'll get to a point where shutting up only gets you into more and more trouble. There's a healthy balance. Shutting up is a good strategy for now and the next few years of your life though.
  • edited January 2011
    skyclaw441 wrote: »

Exactly this. I've stopped doing stupid shit now, and whenever I have found myself doing something on the fringe then I've learned to shut the fuck up about it. No one needs to know what I'm doing.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited January 2011
    In the past 10 years I've learned the following:
    • My childhood was a lot more fucked up than I thought it was.
    • But I am not nearly as fucked up as I thought I was.
    • The world, however, is a lot more fucked up than I thought it was.
    • When I do something stupid, it's usually out of vanity.
    • When I do something stupid, I don't have to beat myself up over it, just have to avoid repeating it.
    • I need to stand up for myself.
    • When I want to say something I have to say it. Especially if it's "No!", "Leave me alone!" or "Will you go out with me?"
    • When I want to do something, I have to go for it. Wether it turns out better or worse than I expected, the experience is always worth it.
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited January 2011
    & years ago I was 13 god I feel old now I can see my youth has slipped away and I am not where I thought I'd be.
    But I have learned what it feels like to be lowest of the low and also top of the world.
    That it's better to have a few good friends than loads of shit ones.
  • edited January 2011
    As much as I've hated growing up, it's also cool that I learned a lot during the last 10 years. I'm glad I've taken the paths that I chose, and I think I've made all the right decisions so far in life. I like everything the way that it is, and I wouldn't go back and change anything.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited January 2011
    I have learned a lot. Drugs are bad for me but I can control them if I don't use them socially. I learned that I can be loved for who I am. I learned a lot about myself such as things that I like and don't like and causes I will and wont stand for. I've learned that the best way to resolve a conflict is to talk it out and try to be right or have a compromise that is benificial though sometimes you have to settle. I have learned how not to trust and learned again how to trust but moreso who to trust. I've learned that adventures can be amazing but eventually I will have to return home, whoever that is at the time. I've learned that often when I have a feeling about what kind of person someone is that feeling is right. There are other things but I'm not entirely sure if they're completed lessons. I've got a long way to go.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    I learned that Mexicans can make some delicious food from goat meat.
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited January 2011
    10 years ago I was 2 years old. I've learnt a HELL OF ALOT MORE than the average white adult male in his 30s. The most important thing being that women are evil, inferior and they're all whores and frigid.
  • IndulgenceIndulgence Regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh man I love these threads. Seven years ago I was twelve and pretty retarded.

I've learned that I don't know dick about life.
    I've learned to just fucking talk to people.
    I've learned that if someone acts like a manipulative asshole, there is a 99% chance that they are and a 100% chance that you can't change them.
    Furthermore, I've learned that you can't change anyone.
    I've learned that amphetamines are evil.
    I've learned to take education seriously.
    I've learned that not having a surge protector is like not having a condom. Goddamn power surge fried my motherboard.
    I've learned to not be such a damn snob. Some of the nicest people I've met are uneducated.
    I've learned that most people are out for themselves and when you're in a relationship (whether romantic or platonic) with someone who really cares about you, do not fuck it up.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    I am right to have the confidence that I have.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    That maturity doesn't come with age.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    I've learned to think outside the box. My vision of the world was so uneducated and twisted.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited January 2011
    fuck beaucracy it's everywhere. we were taught at a young age to submit to older generations, parents, bosses. we go to college to have a career in order to get a small fraction of what we actually deserve. We don't work for our dreams; we work for someone else's dream, and i consciously think everyday on how to find a way out.
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited January 2011
    I learned to always check if theres paper before making a full commitment.
  • edited January 2011
    I learned -SpectraL is an idiot who should be banned BEFORE he starts to cause trouble... I hope Dfg learned something similar.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    I learned to place a piece of toilet paper in the water before I take a dump in the shitter to avoid backsplash.