Street Sign Collections

The NegotiatorThe Negotiator Regular
edited January 2011 in Man Cave
After stealing a few street signs lately (mainly to sell/give away), I've been thinking about starting a little collection of them. Anyone else done this? Any pics?

The main problem I have is concealing the signs after I've taken them. Walking back through the streets with a large piece of metal that says 'keep left' isn't a great look. They're too big and awkward to fit in any of my backpacks, so how does everyone else get them home?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Dip them into hot water so they'll shrink, put it in your pocket, then put them into ice water at home so they'll unshrink.
  • edited January 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Lol, I remember someone slid a fucking stop sign into my apartment through the door one night. I didn't hear shit because I was blackout drunk but it made for a cool decoration in my room :thumbsup:
  • edited January 2011
    I think if you're stealing a large sign you'd better have a vehicle to hide and transport it in. I don't see a way of getting around it unless you live close to the sign you want.
  • edited January 2011
    Steal them on a night-op. Much easier to conceal under the cover of darkness, and you can always throw it in a bush if someone comes along.
  • edited January 2011
    How to get them off quietly though... Maybe try 'loosening' them during the day so they're easier to get off when you go at night?
  • edited January 2011
    How to get them off quietly though... Maybe try 'loosening' them during the day so they're easier to get off when you go at night?

Do some recon work beforehand. You nearly had the right idea by going out and loosening the signs, but why not do it at night time instead? Here's how I'd personally do it;

Plan my route and go out on a spot of recon a few nights before the main operation. I'd carry the required tools in case I need them, and I'd go and check the signs to see if they need loosening or anything else. If they DO need some work, then quickly and quietly loosen the signs before reporting back to base (going home).

You now have enough information (best routes to take, where the signs are located, any cameras around etc) to perform the full operation, as well as having a loosened sign. Plan your operation out again using this reconnaissance, and hit those signs!
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited January 2011
    I have one street sign. It signifies that the current road makes one curve. I used it as a table for a short while.
  • edited January 2011
    If I were to do this, I'd remove the fasteners or nuts (Or whatever they use to hold the sign up), then come back for it at night with a car, take the sign off and toss it in the back seat under some shit.
    Vizier wrote: »
    Lol, I remember someone slid a fucking stop sign into my apartment through the door one night. I didn't hear shit because I was blackout drunk but it made for a cool decoration in my room :thumbsup:

Mexico lol
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    Have you tried covering them up with a large black garbage bag?
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    Dress like a city worker. if you have lights or a truck use them . get some oficial look shit idk what. And take signs all you want. (this was just an idea,planed it in 2 secs) lol
  • DerelictmyballsDerelictmyballs Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    Once you steal enough and get bored with the idea, which you inevitably will, try switching STOP signs with DO NOT ENTER signs, vice versa. Now that's entertaining.
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited January 2011
    I have a giant STOP sign in my backyard. I also use to steal emblems off of vehicles.

But then I grew up.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited January 2011
    Just in case you're pulling down the street signs by hand...

FYI, if the missing signs become a big enough nuisance, the town might make the tops of the signs serrated. It's hardly a solution but it's not fun to encounter either.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited January 2011
    OP, back in the day when I stole street signs I would usually make sure I was in a vehicle when stealing them so I could conceal them in the trunk or backseat and get away a lot faster.

As far as hiding them at home.. I always put them in an old storage shed that was behind my parents house or hid them in the woods. Maybe hiding them under the house could work too or under your bed if your parents aren't snoopy fucks.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited January 2011
    There is a street sign in a town nearby that I have been wanting to get for a while. It says Dreamworld. I mean come on.
  • edited January 2011
    There is a street sign in a town nearby that I have been wanting to get for a while. It says Dreamworld. I mean come on.

Take that shit. That's awesome.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited January 2011
    there is a street sign in a town nearby that i have been wanting to get for a while. It says dreamworld. I mean come on.
    why are you still online?
  • edited January 2011
    there is a street sign in a town nearby that i have been wanting to get for a while. It says dreamworld. I mean come on.
    dysgraphia wrote: »

that
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited January 2011
    I have a giant STOP sign in my backyard. I also use to steal emblems off of vehicles.

But then I grew up.

This is what I am worried about. I need to steal more petty shit before I get too old and it doesn't sound as fun.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited January 2011
    Smashing mail boxes is a lot more fun IMO
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited January 2011
    Take that shit. That's awesome.
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    that

I've never taken any signs before, what all do i need? If I end up getting it, I will post pics
  • The NegotiatorThe Negotiator Regular
    edited January 2011
    Found a place last night which has a tonne of 'construction site' style signs, only tied onto a fence with a twist of wire, so I'll go there tonight. I might grab a few pics in the daytime (within the next few hours) to show you guys, then I'll grab a few pics of it tomorrow with the signs gone.

Thinking about leaving one behind and using a sharpie or can of paint to write 'totse.info' on it. Good idea?