If the Central Powers won WW1

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
This is an interesting question to consider. Anyone who knows about WW1 realizes that it was essentially the death of Old Europe. That is to say it was when the monarchy's and empires crumbled. This in turn paved the way for WW2.

How do you believe history would have changed had the Entente been defeated? Would Europe be run by Prussia and the Austria Hungarians as well as other Monarchy's? Would the middle east be controlled by the Ottomans? If so when do you believe the collapse of old Europe and it's empires would have come.

Comments

• EppillusEppillus Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    It's called the first world war for fucks sake. I'm unable to engage in serious discussion with someone who insists on referring to the two most devastating conflicts in recent history as if they were a film (or 'movie' if you only speak television) and its sequel.
  • edited January 2011
    Eppillus wrote: »
    It's called the first world war for fucks sake. I'm unable to engage in serious discussion with someone who insists on referring to the two most devastating conflicts in recent history as if they were a film (or 'movie' if you only speak television) and its sequel.

stop posting
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011

:thumbsup:
  • EppillusEppillus Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    stop posting

die
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011

No, actually. It's referred to as "Counterfactual History" and is becoming ever more popular. Even in Academic circles, as a History Undergrad myself, we have to study it as Historians just love to bitch and take sides about the past.
    Counterfactual history, also sometimes referred to as virtual history, is a form of historiography which attempts to answer "what if" questions known as counterfactuals.[1] It seeks to explore history and historical incidents by means of extrapolating a timeline in which certain key historical events did not happen or had an outcome which was different from that which did in fact occur.

I think the Ottomans and Axis would have eventually fell apart, giving birth to a new war between East and West. America may have finally had to have given into Germany and Hungary's War, or could have fought them. Either way, it would have been a worse outcome than the original of WW1 (assuming we aren't venturing into Hitler territory here). That said, if the opposing powers (Germany, Austria, Hungary etc) won WW1 I don't think Hitler and the Nazis would have come into power, or at least not as big as they did as work, food and living space would have been plentiful due to expansion.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yay all the jews would have been gone! i dont study recent history so i dont realy have an idea except that.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    It would not have mattered in the long run. The bankers would have used the side that won the same as they actually did. Just look into the Warburg family. After all they are the ones who crafted the Treaty of Versailles. I would get into this further but I am preparing for a short trip out of town and I am leaving this afternoon.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    JestA wrote: »
    Yay all the jews would have been gone! i dont study recent history so i dont realy have an idea except that.

:facepalm:
  • edited January 2011
    :facepalm:

This. Germany wasn't even antisemitic during WWI, jews served in the German army and were among the last jews to be sent to camps under Nazi rule.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    JestA wrote: »

Ok I have to know. Were you being serious when you said this and are really that stupid or were you trolling? WW1 had nothing to do with the Jews. It had everything to do with the heir to Austria Hungary's throne getting killed by Serbian Nationalists. At which point a system of alliances and a "blank check" to Austria from Germany caused what should have been a local problem and turned it into a world war.

Now please tell me. What part of that has ANYTHING to do with the Jews? I believe your thinking about WW2:facepalm:
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    JestA, how did you manage to offend one of the most Anti-Semitic people on here whilst talking about killing Jews?
    Damn. WW2 and Hitler rose from popular discontent after WW1 and the scapegoat Germany needed to get back on her feet. The Jews and Lefties happened to be a good enemy (and rightly so in the case of the Jews) and voila!

If you need a history lesson, just PM. Did my final exam today and that was on Nazi stuff.
  • edited January 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    JestA, how did you manage to offend one of the most Anti-Semitic people on here whilst talking about killing Jews?
    Damn. WW2 and Hitler rose from popular discontent after WW1 and the scapegoat Germany needed to get back on her feet. The Jews and Lefties happened to be a good enemy (and rightly so in the case of the Jews) and voila!

If you need a history lesson, just PM. Did my final exam today and that was on Nazi stuff.

I think that fatty and sanchez got trolled a little.