How much do you sleep?

duuudeduuude Regular
edited February 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Often, I find myself sleeping some of my days away by sleeping all morning and getting up at noon or taking long naps during the day.

I think it's a waste of time to be sleeping so much so I've decided to start trying to limit my sleep to 7 hours a night.

How many hours of sleep does you guys usually get??

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited February 2011
    8 +/- 1. But yeh, sleeping is a huge waste of time.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Sleeping for extended periods of time keep you slim!

Anyway, 6+ hours or if I am lucky maybe 12 hours.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited February 2011
    Generally 4-6 hours during the daytime.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited February 2011
    I used to sleep way too much, but last week I started something new. Now I get up every morning at 7AM and I go to sleep when - and only when- I'm too tired to function. I'm not completely used to my new schedule yet, but in a week or so I should be. However, I've already discovered the advantages. I gained three hours a day in the morning without going to bed earlier and I sleep better. I've put my alarm clock on a table at the other side of my room so I have to get up when it goes off. It's sometimes hard not to climb right back into bed, but it's worth it in my opinion. Ten minutes of walking around with a body aching for a bed is the cost of my three extra hours a day.

Here's the link which gave me the idea.
  • GallowsGallows Regular
    edited February 2011
    I function best on nine hours of sleep. I currently get around seven hours though.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Amie wrote: »
    I used to sleep way too much, but last week I started something new. Now I get up every morning at 7AM and I go to sleep when - and only when- I'm too tired to function. I'm not completely used to my new schedule yet, but in a week or so I should be. However, I've already discovered the advantages. I gained three hours a day in the morning without going to bed earlier and I sleep better. I've put my alarm clock on a table at the other side of my room so I have to get up when it goes off. It's sometimes hard not to climb right back into bed, but it's worth it in my opinion. Ten minutes of walking around with a body aching for a bed is the cost of my three extra hours a day.

Here's the link which gave me the idea.

Thanks!
    :thumbsup:
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited February 2011
    I usually get a solid 8 hours in. Although I sometimes still need a nap during the arvo.

I want to try the Uberman sleep schedule at some point though

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/15/103358/720
    Sleeping Hours
    The Uberman's sleep schedule revolves around forcing yourself to rely on six twenty to thirty minute naps spread throughout the day for your daily dose of sleep. I stuck to thirty minute naps, currently having them starting roughly at 2 AM, 6 AM, 10 AM, 2 PM, 6 PM, and 10 PM every day.

How & Why It Works
    Over the course of a normal eight hour sleeping period, your body moves through a continuous cycle of five distinct sleep stages. Of these, stage 5 REM sleep has been found to be the part of the cycle that provides the benefits of sleep for your mind.

Essentially, the trick of the Uberman's sleep schedule is to trick your mind into entering REM sleep as soon as you drift into a sleeplike state. Unfortunately, the only real way to do this is through sleep deprivation of sorts.

I guess it wouldn't be the best for those with 9-5 jobs lol, but you'd get shit loads more done and my time to enjoy life. The adjustment phase is the killer though apparently
  • edited February 2011
    I sleep around about 7 hours a day. It's really not enough, so I try my best to catch up on sleep during the weekends. When I don't have an alarm to wake me up, I'll sleep about 9 or 10 hours.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Normally around 12 hours
  • PennywisePennywise Regular
    edited February 2011
    I just pulled a 34 hour sleep. This is without getting up to to urinate. The most ive ever slept at once was like almost three days. Ive been sleeping this way all of my life. Mom says I used to crawl underneath my crib and fall asleep. I like to use phentermine so I can get things done. Other than that I dont really have much of a life other than my life I live while I sleep. The dreams I have are remarkable and lucid. I could probably make my dreams into books, perhaps movies. That would be nice.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't sleep enough that's for fucking sure.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited February 2011
    Over 8 hours. Back to when I tried polyphasic sleep for a couple of years I slept 3-4 hours at night and 2-3 in the afternoon but it kind of didn't work very well.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited February 2011
    :facepalm: My plan isn't working well either Vizier.. I got fucked up last night and slept through the alarm on my phone and ended up sleeping 8 and 1/2 hours.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited February 2011
    about 5 hours on weekdays, 9 hours on weekends
  • LordWormLordWorm Regular
    edited February 2011
    Usually 6 hours or so on weekdays, 8-9 on weekends.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited February 2011
    usually around 9 - 10 hours. The least I've slept was 4 hours and the most was 15 hours.
  • DerelictmyballsDerelictmyballs Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    I've had insomnia for like 8 years so I've been accustomed to less sleep. Kind of a bummer but it ends up being real effective cuz I always have a lot of time to do shit like read, schoolwork, or just simply hang out.

Usually like 4 hours a night.