Vegemite

SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator-__-
edited February 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Opera recently filmed a few shows in Sydney. In one of her shows she tried Vegemite for the first time. She had it with wine (:facepalm:) and Hugh jackman. Her reaction was a patronizing and unbelievable 'yummMMMmmm'.

Vegemite for those of you not in the know, is a bitter spread that has the deceiving look of chocolate. It's made from the left-over bits of beer fermentation. It's an Australian Phenomena and it's only sold in AU. All the Foreigners I've meet who has ever had "Vegemite toast" have either feigned enjoyment or withered in horror.

I like Vegemite and most Aussies do, it's become our national food in some ways. It was temporarily banned in America for having to much phosphorous.

I've been told that there's a chain restaurant in America that sells things no sane human would consider consuming and passes it off as "Authentic Australian Cuisine". I think it's mainly just standard meats with stupid names like "koala pie".

The truth is, like most of the English speaking world, we don't really have cuisine.

Our Cuisine is as abysmal as American and British cuisine. That is, we burn things and fry stuff and then add sauce (ketchup ).

I've kind of lost the point of this post, so i'm going to ask you: How much contact have you had with (allegedly) Australian food?

Comments

• thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited February 2011
    How much contact have you had with (allegedly) Australian food?

Shrimp on the barby :p.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited February 2011
    ^^^ I knew someone was going to say that! :D I made a mental note to include it at the end, but forget!!

Shrimp = Prawns over here. They changed it in the film to help the Americans get it.

wait...did you know that?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited February 2011
    Shrimp = Prawns over here.

So are your shrimp the size of prawns or are your prawns the size of shrimp? Or do you just not have real prawns or shrimp?
    edited February 2011
    Everything is Prawns. Big prawns, small prawns, king prawns.
    edited February 2011
    So do you have actual shrimp that you just call prawns? Or just small prawns? :p
    edited February 2011
    To my limited understanding: shrimp are called prawns and prawns are called prawns and they're sold as the same thing.

They both taste and look exactly the same, right?
    edited February 2011
    Yeh pretty much. There's subtle differences in morphology and lifestyle.

Over here, the rule of thumb is "If it looks big, it's a prawn. If it looks small, it's a shrimp." It's not the correct naming, but nobody cares :hai:
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited February 2011
    Outback.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited February 2011
    Marmite has existed for a long time.

And it is some salty ass shit
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited February 2011
    kangeroos :o:o:o:o:o:o:o
  • mynicknamemynickname Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    none I won't go there either cause I don't wanna fight off dingos
  • edited February 2011
    I really like Vegemite, on warm toast with lots of butter. Also, Aussie burgers with pickled beets and fried egg are great.

Canadian food also suffers from the same identity crisis, the nearest we have to a national dish is poutine, fries with fresh cheese curds and a gravy. No one I know puts maple syrup on their pancakes as it costs $20 a bottle.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited February 2011
    I've kind of lost the point of this post, so i'm going to ask you: How much contact have you had with (allegedly) Australian food?

One time they tried to make me believe I was eating kangaroo. It was chicken. I didn't believe them. Does that count?
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited February 2011
    To be honest no I've never had any Australian food, and can't really think of any. You could say Kangaroo or the like but that's not really true. Plus I've not had it so. Vegeemite I always assumed was similar to marmite which I am not a fan of.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited February 2011
    I've tried Aussie export beef baby_kangaroo.jpg