Privacy 101 - How to use Truecrypt [Published]

edited April 2011 in Tech & Games
What is Truecrypt?

As written on the Truecrypt website, Truecrypt is - Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X, and Linux.

Where should I download it from?

http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads

So, how do I create an encrypted file container?

Once you have downloaded and installed the Truecrypt software, you should go ahead and open it up. You should be presented with a window which looks something like this...

u3.png
  • Click on the "Create Volume" button. From here, you can either create an encrypted file container on your HDD, or format an external drive or non-system partition which will then be encrypted. For the purpose of this tutorial, we'll be creating an encrypted file container. If you wish to play around with the other option, it's easy enough to follow and get working correctly.
  • Next, the program asks you if you wish to create a "Standard Truecrypt Volume", or a "Hidden Truecrypt Volume". The hidden option is fantastic, as it creates a container within a container, each with different passwords. This offers deniability in case you have to reveal your password - in which case you would reveal the password to your unimportant encrypted volume. For the sake of the guide though, we're going to select Standard TrueCrypt Volume.
  • Choose your file location. Simple enough.
  • Choose your encryption strength and hash algorithm. I'd leave it all default (AES, RIPEMD-160).
  • Specify how much space you want to dedicate to your encrypted file container. Make it as big or as small as you need it to be.
  • Choose a password. Make it s STRONG password. Read the guidelines on creating a password, as using a dictionary word isn't good at all. Make it significantly long, and jumbled.
  • Once you've done that, you need to decide on the type of filesystem you're going to use. If you don't, your filesystem won't be able to be mounted by TrueCrypt and you wont be able to access your files. Just leave it on FAT.
  • Next up is the part where you need to move your mouse around the screen in a completely random manner. Do this for as long as you want, but remember that the longer you do it, the more random and strong the encryption keys will be.
  • Finally, hit the "Format" button. Your encrypted container has been created!

How do I access the container?
  • Simple. When you're on the main TrueCrypt screen, select a slot (anyone, it doesn't matter). Then, hit the "Select File" button, browse to your encrypted container, and double click it. Once you're brought back to the main screen, hit the "Mount" button, and put in your password.
  • Double click on the newly mounted drive, and use the encrypted file to your hearts content!

Some words of wisdom by Negrophobe...

From my basic knowledge and from confirmation from others who are better in the know with programming, there is no tampering or backdoors in thre.

SERPENT 256 and TWOFISH 256 trump AES in algorithms; and truecrypt allows you to use all of them ontop of each other.

Free encryption software is the best bet for you. You're less likely to have some programmers who are doing this for free tricking you for the government. Obviously still check the source code (if it's closed source it's a good bet that it's backdoored e.g. JAP) to make sure.

With a laptop taken off the back of a van or where ever, with full encyption and random passwords on someone elses unsecure wifi; along with all flash drives encrypted and material saved onto; whilst using a VPN set up by you, or even tor; you should be relatively safe.

Keep this hidden as well and have a decoy comp and PC which you use too.

In the UK if they demand the password you can just give them the password to your work safe area whilst they can't see any of the incriminating material, unless you give them the passphrase for that. Personally I would just stick with the 5 words instead of making their job easy.

I'd recommend reading the dr who manual (I'll upload it when I find which flash drive it's on)

Here's some good links for you:
Brute force key attack info
Phil Zimmerman
TrueCrypt FAQ
Security experts: NIST encryption standard may have NSA backdoor
Privacy protection and computer forensics By Michael A. Caloyannides
DBAN (boot and nuke)
PGP Encryption Proves Powerful
Judge orders defendant to decrypt PGP-protected laptop
Why ZOG hates encryption

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain, if you keep your mouth shut.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for this. Tweeted :)
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
    I love truecrypt.
  • edited December 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    I love truecrypt.

This.
    What's not to like about it? It's brilliant, and secure as fuck. Seriously, if you're a pedofile and need to hide your CP - USE TRUECRYPT.
    edited December 2010
    Yeah I used to tell people that pedos who got caught were dumb for not using truecrypt and secure erase and they were like omfg what's wrong with you!!
  • edited December 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Yeah I used to tell people that pedos who got caught were dumb for not using truecrypt and secure erase and they were like omfg what's wrong with you!!

EXACTLY! If they were to securely store their files, and securely erase their unwanted files, then they'd have a much harder time being convicted. Perhaps I could write a guide to storing CP :D
    Never heard of it before but i'm downloading it now :thumbsup: Thanks for the info :D

Nice one, good luck with using it. If you get stuck, post here.
    edited December 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    EXACTLY! If they were to securely store their files, and securely erase their unwanted files, then they'd have a much harder time being convicted. Perhaps I could write a guide to storing CP :D

Do it. That's a guide that belongs on totse. :hai:
  • edited December 2010
    I'm already stuck :/ I tried to do one of those hidden files within an outer file but i don't know how to save stuff to the hidden file or even open it in general. All i can see when i mount it is the outer file with a video that i put in it to test it out.

Try entering your password which you set for the inner file.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited December 2010
    Sweet I'm going to try it out as well.
  • edited December 2010
    duuude wrote: »
    Sweet I'm going to try it out as well.

Post your results here, I want to make sure my guide is as clear as possible.
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited December 2010
    From my basic knowledge and from confirmation from others who are better in the know with programming, there is no tampering or backdoors in thre.

SERPENT 256 and TWOFISH 256 trump AES in algorithms; and truecrypt allows you to use all of them ontop of each other.

Free encryption software is the best bet for you. You're less likely to have some programmers who are doing this for free tricking you for the government. Obviously still check the source code (if it's closed source it's a good bet that it's backdoored e.g. JAP) to make sure.

With a laptop taken off the back of a van or where ever, with full encyption and random passwords on someone elses unsecure wifi; along with all flash drives encrypted and material saved onto; whilst using a VPN set up by you, or even tor; you should be relatively safe.

Keep this hidden as well and have a decoy comp and PC which you use too.

In the UK if they demand the password you can just give them the password to your work safe area whilst they can't see any of the incriminating material, unless you give them the passphrase for that. Personally I would just stick with the 5 words instead of making their job easy.

I'd recommend reading the dr who manual (I'll upload it when I find which flash drive it's on)

Here's some good links for you:
    Brute force key attack info
    Phil Zimmerman
    TrueCrypt FAQ
    Security experts: NIST encryption standard may have NSA backdoor
    Privacy protection and computer forensics By Michael A. Caloyannides
    DBAN (boot and nuke)
    PGP Encryption Proves Powerful
    Judge orders defendant to decrypt PGP-protected laptop
    Why ZOG hates encryption

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain, if you keep your mouth shut.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited December 2010
    Great guide trx :thumbsup:

Downloaded Truecrypt
    Followed the guide step by step and didn't have any problems. I think I'm gonna encrypt all of my fap material on my external now.
  • edited December 2010
    Fucking hell Negrophobe, you need to post more stuff like that. Thanks for the information and links - mind if I add your post to the OP? (I'll give you credit). That way, it could be included in a guide in the CMS.
    edited December 2010
    Fucking hell Negrophobe, you need to post more stuff like that. Thanks for the information and links - mind if I add your post to the OP? (I'll give you credit). That way, it could be included in a guide in the CMS.

Be my guest.
    edited December 2010
    I almost forgot, you'll want to disable hibernation mode also. Hibernation mode is used to save resources by letting you shut down the computer when it isn't being used, but being able to restore the shut down state to not lose work. This is risky if you're using Truecrypt, because it stores the key in RAM, and your key will be written plain text to the drive from RAM as the machine switches to hibernation mode. This key can easily be extracted. It's also wise to disable power being cut to the Hard Drive, so go to power options, and choose the never option under Turn off hard disks.

Disable UserAssist as well. Don't forget index.bat either (a bit of a bitch to remove, so if google doesn;t help you out then I will). You can google how to do these things for whatever Windows OS you're running, most of this info is for XP. These are just basic things to do to make the job harder for forensics. I'll add more info later.
  • edited December 2010
    Negrophobe wrote: »
    I almost forgot, you'll want to disable hibernation mode also. Hibernation mode is used to save resources by letting you shut down the computer when it isn't being used, but being able to restore the shut down state to not lose work. This is risky if you're using Truecrypt, because it stores the key in RAM, and your key will be written plain text to the drive from RAM as the machine switches to hibernation mode. This key can easily be extracted. It's also wise to disable power being cut to the Hard Drive, so go to power options, and choose the never option under Turn off hard disks.

Disable UserAssist as well. Don't forget index.bat either (a bit of a bitch to remove, so if google doesn;t help you out then I will). You can google how to do these things for whatever Windows OS you're running, most of this info is for XP. These are just basic things to do to make the job harder for forensics. I'll add more info later.

Thanks for that input, very useful information - half of which I didn't know.

What's Index.bat?
    edited December 2010
    Index.bat logs every search you make from internet explorer and tons of other information on what you do. Unless you enter safe mode, you're not going to be able to delete it either. It is often used by forensic teams to build cases against people. Obviously, because it logs so much, it will take up more and more space the longer you run your computer. It never deletes the logs so all of your searches from day 1 are stored on your computer.

That's it quickly summed up. It's a well know "feature" that forensics use, funnily enough it was brought to my attention by a hebophile I was baiting, pretending to be a young boy with an interest in hacking; he was an IT technician. Well it's not really difficult to deelte, in concept, all you have to do is reboot in safe mode and login to the Administrator account and delete index.bat in command prompt. But you'll see what I mean.

I stopped baiting the hebephile, by the way, it's the least I owed him for all the knowledge he gave me.
    edited December 2010
    Here's some info regarding index.bat;

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-me/what-is-indexbat/33628.html
    Notice he says; it isn't cleared when I delete cookies and temporary internet files... NO ! these files just get bigger.

Backing up what I'm saying. There's more info on the net about index.bat, but I've told you what you need to know.
  • edited December 2010
    Jesus, is there a way to actually look at this file to see what it contains? I've never even heard of that shit, but now I want to Guttman it 900 times. More information please.

EDIT: you posted before me, thanks.
  • edited December 2010
    One more thing - is this just for IE? As I'm using Google Chrome. I can't really find much else on Google.
    edited December 2010
    It seemed to with firefox on my main computer which runs XP. I'd check it and get rid of it, just to be on the safe side.
  • edited December 2010
    Alright, good call. One question - is it a .bat or a .dat file? I'm getting more results on Google for Index.dat.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited December 2010
    Yikes! I was completely unaware of index.dat. I've been researching it though after reading this thread and found this:

http://www.acesoft.net/delete_index.dat_files.htm

I'm going to use the deleter it suggested and see how it goes.
  • edited December 2010
    ILTST9 wrote: »
    Yikes! I was completely unaware of index.dat. I've been researching it though after reading this thread and found this:

I'm not even sure it works with Chrome. I just fired up the program which lets you view Index.dat and there were only a couple of things in there.
  • hotbodhotbod New Arrival
    edited February 2011
    one thing about these encryption software i find problematic is the fact that i have to either remember or write down a long random password which both methods have problems with it. for example if i have to remember it i wont(lol) cause i cant really remember the password "w7Wjd8H2jh32k". or if i have to write it down that would mean someone that wanted to could find it thus truecrypt is useless without the privacy of your password. . ..

so how do you deal with having to knwo your long complicated password?
    edited February 2011
    ILTST9 wrote: »

lol who the hell uses internet explorer anymore?
  • edited February 2011
    hotbod wrote: »
    one thing about these encryption software i find problematic is the fact that i have to either remember or write down a long random password which both methods have problems with it. for example if i have to remember it i wont(lol) cause i cant really remember the password "w7Wjd8H2jh32k". or if i have to write it down that would mean someone that wanted to could find it thus truecrypt is useless without the privacy of your password. . ..

so how do you deal with having to knwo your long complicated password?

Use an algorithm. For example, take a few words which mean something to you, and which you can remember. Like this...

"I went to the store and bought some cigs"

Now take the first letter from these words, and alternate between upper and lower case letters, like this...

"iWtTsAbSc"

Now to spice things up, I'm going to add random characters to the start and finish, and add a few numbers in place of letters...

"&%@1W2TsAb5c&%@"

Now that might LOOK complicated, but when you use a few words which you can easily remember, it all becomes a lot easier.
    edited February 2011
    Use an algorithm. For example, take a few words which mean something to you, and which you can remember. Like this...

"I went to the store and bought some cigs"

Now take the first letter from these words, and alternate between upper and lower case letters, like this...

"iWtTsAbSc"

Now to spice things up, I'm going to add random characters to the start and finish, and add a few numbers in place of letters...

"&%@1W2TsAb5c&%@"

Now that might LOOK complicated, but when you use a few words which you can easily remember, it all becomes a lot easier.
    lol how r u supposed to remember the random characters?
  • edited February 2011
    Just choose some characters which you remember. You don't even need characters in there, I just chose to include them to make it a more secure password. The letters are the easiest part to remember, and alternating between upper and lower case will help too.

Anything's better than "password" or "qwerty" though :D
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited February 2011
    I almost forgot, you'll want to disable hibernation mode also. Hibernation mode is used to save resources by letting you shut down the computer when it isn't being used, but being able to restore the shut down state to not lose work. This is risky if you're using Truecrypt, because it stores the key in RAM, and your key will be written plain text to the drive from RAM as the machine switches to hibernation mode. This key can easily be extracted.

This can be prevented easely by making Truecrypt unmount all mounted drives before entering power saving mode. That way the drives are unmounted and their keys are erased from RAM before entering power saving mode.

It's also wise to disable power being cut to the Hard Drive, so go to power options, and choose the never option under Turn off hard disks.

Disable UserAssist as well.

Why these two?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Taken from: Network (in)Security
    CMS Status: