What Distro Are You Using?

1357913579 Death Cog Machine
edited September 2010 in Tech & Games
On my netbook I run Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.4, works pretty well. Hated the new netbook interface though, so I got rid of it, back to a classic Ubuntu desktop.

I'd run *nix on my desktop here, but support for dialup modems is little/hard to get working. Plus, not sure what distros are out there that would fully utilize my i7 core :p

Comments

• JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Linux Mint

I might install a BSD someday again when I feel like playing around
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited July 2010
    I use fedora mostly but on the whole, I stick to closed source operating systems.
  • st3vest3ve Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Ubuntu

I like to make live USBs and fuck around a lot, but that's what's installed.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited July 2010
    ubuntu 10.04
  • corduroycorduroy Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    arch. I love the command line.
  • OnesanOnesan Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Centos for servers and desktop usage, bt4 for my laptop hax
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited July 2010
    • Gentoo on my main laptop (in dualboot with Vista) 'cause I like bleeding edge, rolling release and tinkering with command lines and configuration files
    • Crunchbang on an older laptop which just needs to work fast
    • Experimenting with FreeBSD and Arch on another older laptop
  • Issue313Issue313 Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Jack wrote: »
    Linux Mint

I might install a BSD someday again when I feel like playing around

Linux Mint. I love it. Better even than Mac OS
    Would use PCBSD maybe, but laptop support isn't great.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited July 2010
    Mint but not so much lately.
  • autopsyautopsy Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    I have been using Fedora since Fedora Core 1.
    Before that I was using Slackware.
  • NumberjumboNumberjumbo Regular
    edited July 2010
    autopsy wrote: »
    I have been using Fedora since Fedora Core 1.
    Before that I was using Slackware.
    2eceqmu.jpg

fuckin slacker
    edited July 2010
    fuckin slacker
    It was pretty badass to see Slackware with kernel 1.2.1 on a CD.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2010
    Ubuntu on my main puter
    Arch on another for fucking around with.
    Puppy on another
    BT4 on a disc.
  • edited July 2010
    Ubuntu dual booting on my desktop (Windows 7 primarily).
    I also have Backtrack on disc which I use sometimes for WEP cracking, and I have a few others on disc too. (Mint, puppy, Xubuntu)
  • InsurrectionInsurrection Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Im currently running Jolicloud because i sorta fucked up my computer. Before that i was using Ubuntu 9. When i Actually don't feel lazy i may actually install Ubuntu 10.04. I would really like to try slackware but I dont know how to install without a Guided User Interface (Sad i know).
    edited July 2010
    Im currently running Jolicloud because i sorta fucked up my computer. Before that i was using Ubuntu 9. When i Actually don't feel lazy i may actually install Ubuntu 10.04. I would really like to try slackware but I dont know how to install without a Guided User Interface (Sad i know).
    Although I run 10.04 I actually liked 9.10 better.
  • street carpstreet carp Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I'm using CrunchBang on my main computer because it's 6 years old and is starting to struggle with the latest Fedora, Ubuntu and Mint releases. Openbox is the shit :D

I have Fedora 13 on one of my laptops, dual booting with Windows 7.
  • wasjoshwasjosh Regular
    edited July 2010
    phantomix on the laptop

backtracking on the desktops / some with have windows, you know to see out of.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2010
    On my older desktops Arch Linux because of the power to refine it as much as you want.

On my newer desktops i am in the middle of removing Ubuntu and installing Fedora 13 because Ubuntu has become way to fisher-price for my liking (they hide too much background detail)
  • ashenbloodashenblood Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    opensuse 11.2, soon to be 11.3
    edited July 2010
    On my older desktops Arch Linux because of the power to refine it as much as you want.
    What does Arch Linux bring to the table as far as refining, which makes it stand out any more than say Fedora or Slackware?
    On my newer desktops i am in the middle of removing Ubuntu and installing Fedora 13 because Ubuntu has become way to fisher-price for my liking (they hide too much background detail)
    I tried Ubuntu one time, and have hated it ever since.
    I am glad I don't have to switch distributions due to something like you describe.
    I was using Slackware for some time until I started to notice the speed of development was not what I wanted, then switched to RedHat 9 and finally Fedora when it because Fedora.

This has worked well for me.
    edited July 2010
    What does Arch Linux bring to the table as far as refining, which makes it stand out any more than say Fedora or Slackware?
    Something you make your own.
    I tried Ubuntu one time, and have hated it ever since.
    I am glad I don't have to switch distributions due to something like you describe.
    I was using Slackware for some time until I started to notice the speed of development was not what I wanted, then switched to RedHat 9 and finally Fedora when it because Fedora.

This has worked well for me.
    You found your happy place.....that shit's all good then.;)
    edited July 2010

Generally, it's building up from the lowest base packages to exactly what you want; rather than building down by removing replacing bits from a ready made distro.
  • corduroycorduroy Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Generally, it's building up from the lowest base packages to exactly what you want; rather than building down by removing replacing bits from a ready made distro.

It's also rolling release and the community is great and incredibly helpful.
  • edited July 2010
    Ubuntu 10.04
  • SpookSpook Regular
    edited July 2010
    at the moment I'm using Fedora Core 13. Funny thing is, I remember that totse got me on to using it a while ago. I first used FC4 (I think it was Biopsy then didn't use linux for a while, tried out Ubuntu and although it was really easy to use I wanted something different. So yeah, I'm back to Fedora Core and I'm learning more all the time.

Personally, the command-line interface isn't so scary anymore, and I'd be using Linux all the time if I could get Traktor Scratch Pro to work in it.
    edited July 2010
    ^^^^^^ autopsy is Biopsy.

Surprisingly he also convinced me try out fedora core 3 after i made a "thinking about moving to Linux" thread.
  • Th0rTh0r Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    Ubuntu and Mint.
  • FingerBlasterFingerBlaster Regular
    edited July 2010
    i dual-boot opensuse 11.something with W7. The KDE really pissed me off, so i stopped using it :o
  • fractalsfractals Regular
    edited August 2010
    Debian FTW! (how am I the only one using it?)

thinking of trying out Arch, though...
  • BrodieBrodie Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2010
    I run on my servers CentOS 5.5 and 5.4 mostly.
  • seanicusseanicus New Arrival
    edited September 2010
    Ubuntu > Arch > Mint

Yeah, I actually went from Arch to Mint. Mint has better repositories, and I don't mind bloat.