Modern Phone Hacking and phreaking

edited February 2011 in Tech & Games
Is there such a thing as phone hacking or phreaking any more? With the new age of technology, its something I haven't head about in many years and I definitely haven't seen anything on Totse about it.

Has phone hacking died out?

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2011
    I have not seen anyone discuss phreaking online in over ten years.
  • edited February 2011
    Well, here we are discussing Phreaking. What's new? :D
  • edited February 2011
    There must be a fuckload of money being spent to make sure phone systems don't get hacked. Imagine being able to print your own "pay as you go" cards, the profit would be insane even if you only could do it for a day or so.
  • edited February 2011
    There must be a fuckload of money being spent to make sure phone systems don't get hacked. Imagine being able to print your own "pay as you go" cards, the profit would be insane even if you only could do it for a day or so.

Hell yeah. But even if the algorithm to generate codes, companies like Microsoft keep an archive that the code must be registered on in order to activate. Another method is the co-op with stores to have the ringing of cards at cash registers activate the cards.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited February 2011
    The days of whistling into a receiver to get free calls is over. Now days you need several thousand dollars worth of equipment and a solid understanding of signal processing to do anything.

That being said, theirs still a lot of things you can do.
    http://www.securitytube.net/Cloning-SIM-Cards-and-Hacking-Payphones-video.aspx

90% of phreaks are only interested in calling pay phones and doing a "Agent 46, this is your mission..."