Stupid gun myths from movies and video games

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited February 2011 in Man Cave
I know that movies and video games aren't always meant to be realistic but do any gun owners on here get pissed about stupid shit on them? I'm sure most people have met the person who thinks they're an expert on guns because they played COD. What pisses me off is in movies when a full auto weapon is portrayed as having infinite ammo.

I also hate how in games a shotgun has a 10 foot range at most. ITT discuss the stupidity that a lot of people thing guns are capable of. I also hate how most people thing shooting gas tank in a car will cause it to blow up.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2011
    I love it when an action hero comes flipping into a room with dual pistols and hits multiple targets while in the air.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited February 2011
    Every gun scene from the matrix.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited February 2011
    Using a car as cover.
    Shooting accurately without firearms experience.
    "Implicit" reloading. Seriously, takes .5 seconds to show a clip drop.
    edited February 2011
    Using a car as cover.
    Shooting accurately without firearms experience.
    "Implicit" reloading. Seriously, takes .5 seconds to show a clip drop.

Have you ever shot a gun at a car. I had a early 70's Dodge Demon and at the time a buddy of mine had just gotten a .44 Magnum. We wanted to see what it would do against Detroit metal so from about 15 feet I shot the car in the side right below the small window in the back on the drivers side. The round (brass jacketed) went completely through the driver's side, slid about a 3 foot cut along the back rest of the back seat went into the interior side panel on the back passenger's side and made about a 1/4 inch "pimple" on the exterior side panel on the opposite side.

The point being that even as close as 15 feet that .44 Magnum would not go all the way through the car. So unless you are being fired upon by some serious ordinance or they shooter is using armored piercing round a car is a hell of lot safer cover that you seem to think.
    edited February 2011
    ^^^^

Hell yes, an older model car will serve as cover to some degree. I will completely agree with your findings there.

Ever shot at a newer fiberglass piece of shit, though? Doesn't stop anything over a .22 from the same distance.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited February 2011
    Han shot first.
    edited February 2011
    ^^^^

Hell yes, an older model car will serve as cover to some degree. I will completely agree with your findings there.

Ever shot at a newer fiberglass piece of shit, though? Doesn't stop anything over a .22 from the same distance.

A .22 LR has a shit load of penetration for it's size. But yes, newer cars do not have the same gauge of metal that was used 40 years ago. Not to many cars are all fiberglass bodies though. I have been looking for some video of cars being shot but none of them show what is happening to the other side of the car. In any event a car would offer more protection than standing in the open. Even if the round did pass through it's impact would be greatly reduced.
  • mynicknamemynickname Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    shooting dual m-60 while standing... and actually hittin your target...
    edited February 2011
    Even if the round did pass through it's impact would be greatly reduced.

I will completely give you that.

However, when you see someone in a movie standing behind an open car door on a modern make NOT getting hit at all, it gets on my nerves.

Same goes with the concept of bulletproof vests stopping every type of round, regardless of distance to target. Sure, at longer range, it stops or at least lessens the impact of a round. Many movies suggest they stop anything even at point blank. Bullshit.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited February 2011

However, when you see someone in a movie standing behind an open car door on a modern make NOT getting hit at all, it gets on my nerves.

Same goes with the concept of bulletproof vests stopping every type of round, regardless of distance to target. Sure, at longer range, it stops or at least lessens the impact of a round. Many movies suggest they stop anything even at point blank. Bullshit.

This one pisses me off as well. The idea that bullet proof vest is an unstoppable fortress is bullshit. As far as I know a Kevlar vest is good against most handgun rounds but is useless against most rifles.
    edited February 2011
    This one pisses me off as well. The idea that bullet proof vest is an unstoppable fortress is bullshit. As far as I know a Kevlar vest is good against most handgun rounds but is useless against most rifles.

And that's why I like FNH's 5.7x28. Rifle or handgun, the round punches through 40 layers of Kevlar at 100yds.

If ever a bullet could give me a hardon....

edit: if my round measurement is off, I blame the pint of whiskey.
    edited February 2011

I must agree on that point.

But hey, look at the A Team. I remember reading an article years ago which mentioned that during the run of that show something like 65,000 plus rounds were fired and not one person was ever hit once.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited February 2011
    Along with the vest thing, nobody ever remotely tries to do a headshot in the movies when they see everyone has a bullet proof vest on.

What makes me cringe the most if when the people get sent the fuck flying with a bullet shot. A shotgun shot a few meters away sends one motherfucker flying all across the room.

Bull-fucking-dogshit.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited February 2011
    Hitscan, lack of bullet drops, exploding fuel tanks, the entire cartridge leaving the muzzle, underpenetration by most projectiles, lack of damage by ricochets, cocking a handgun as a form of intimidation and thinking that leaving your finger on the trigger is a wise thing to do
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    The most obvious - having a magazine last you half the film!
  • My Mom Is DeadMy Mom Is Dead Regular
    edited February 2011
    Mantikore wrote: »
    cocking a handgun as a form of intimidation and thinking that leaving your finger on the trigger is a wise thing to do
    I was thinking this, but why does it make a difference where your finger is?
    I'm thinking double-action revolvers. I know shit all about semi-auto.
  • edited February 2011
    anecdotes are evidence

fixed that for you brah
  • edited February 2011
    IRL, sniper rifles can't be shot at long distance without compensating for gravity and wind etc. In games, you can usually shoot someone from across the whole map in a blizzard without thinking twice.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited February 2011
    Vizier wrote: »
    Along with the vest thing, nobody ever remotely tries to do a headshot in the movies when they see everyone has a bullet proof vest on.

What makes me cringe the most if when the people get sent the fuck flying with a bullet shot. A shotgun shot a few meters away sends one motherfucker flying all across the room.

Bull-fucking-dogshit.

This one pisses me off as well. When things get shot they drop. There is no flying back about it even with a shotgun. Another one is the suppressor turning a gun into a fucking whisper. They make it seem like with one silencer you could turn even a .50 rifle into sounding like a bb gun.
    edited February 2011
    It's ok when a kid's pointing a gun at you, because he doesn't know that the gun has a safety switch.
  • edited February 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    It's ok when a kid's pointing a gun at you, because he doesn't know that the gun has a safety switch.
    Didn't watch The Wire, did you chinaman?
    edited February 2011
    Didn't watch The Wire, did you chinaman?

Nope, I'm a chinaman.
  • edited February 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Nope, I'm a chinaman.

edited February 2011
    Niggers are an exception :o
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited February 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    IRL, sniper rifles can't be shot at long distance without compensating for gravity and wind etc. In games, you can usually shoot someone from across the whole map in a blizzard without thinking twice.

Rolf agrees, however, most shooter games don't have true "long distance" shooting states Rolf. The few that include bullet drop tend to over-exaggerate it, states Rolf... not to mention the lack of zeroing and rangefinders, states Rolf.

As to other annoying gun myths, the already mentioned bottomless magazines, hip-firing and the endless amounts of evil henchmen that seem to have graduated from Galactic Empire's Stormtrooper Academy, Rolf is unable to think of many more... except for possibly the amount of loaded and entirely functioning firearms simply discarded in order for the bad guy and good guy to have a hand-to-hand duel, states Rolf... Rolf also forgot to mention the lack of trigger discipline amongst actors supposedly portraying trained soldiers/agents/mercenaries/etc., concludes Rolf.
  • Pile of JewsPile of Jews Regular
    edited February 2011
    Watching that Omar Little clip reminded me that when you pump a shotgun, a shell WILL eject, live or dead, unless the son-of-a-bicthin' thing is completely unloaded
  • edited February 2011
    Watching that Omar Little clip reminded me that when you pump a shotgun, a shell WILL eject, live or dead, unless the son-of-a-bicthin' thing is completely unloaded

OR IF YOUR EXTRACTOR OR EJECTOR IS MALFUNCTIONING :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
    Also if the chamber was empty with a loaded tube, as one would be carrying it if one's goal was to intimidate one's robbery victims by racking the shotgun in front of them.
  • Pile of JewsPile of Jews Regular
    edited February 2011
    ^ WTF, I'm retarded, I forgot about a loaded tube situation