How to avoid a bad trip, and hopefully stop one once started. [Published]

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited March 2011 in Man Cave
Ok so after trying shrooms a few times and wanting to share my knowledge with others via text file or whatever, I feel the time is right.

Background: I have tried doses of shrooms (4g upwards) for a while now after growing them myself and never had a bad trip, but did get some disturbing thoughts. Weed was the main player in my bad drug experiences, however. Still, I smoke to this day.

The guide:

Before ingesting or embarking on your trip, make sure all issues in your life are resolved. Have no hang ups, no worries, plan a day outside and make sure you will be alone (or with a trusted friend) for the duration of the experience. Duration of certain drugs can be found on Erowid, as well as a fuckton of info if you aready haven't checked that place out. make a playlist of songs and have a place in mind you will go to.

When the day arrives prepare the substance. Just before ingestion, make sure your phone is turned off, you have logged out of Facebook, isolate yourself from things which could fuck your time up. There is nothing worse than a bitchy tet breaking your amazing train of thought, or some fucker on Facebook who is in a relationship with a hot bitch you have fancied and jerked off over since day 1.

I tend to say a small prayer before I embark on a psychadelic journey. I am not religious, rather spiritual. I just ask for guidance and teaching. Don't say "Dear God", rather "Whoever is out there"...Shroooms to me have a deep connection to the world, and you must respect these substances, otherwise you just turn into some twat on YouTube and won't enjoy your trip.

Once ingested listen to some chillout music. There are plenty of forums listing music to trip to. Find your own. I like Shpongle, Jack Johnson, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin...fuck, most stuff, just not ark shit. The only song that really sent me on a downwards spiral however was [ame=" Herb Garden" by Shpongle[/ame]. I have managed to overcome that, but I properly freaked out at college after getting out of my mind.

Leaving the house is good if you want to trip in nature. Trees, streams, landscapes etc are amazing to look at. Just bear in mind there may be people around so be comfortable you can hande any situations. If you don'thave the confidence to go out, then try your back yard. Failing that, watch some films, jerk off, whatever. Just do things for YOU. It's your experience.
Oh, don't jerk it if you have a sitter...might be a bit weird.

If you start having bad thoughts then think the following and repeat it. "This is only temporary, there is a reason for this happening, concentrate on the overwhelming good", and distract yourself. it IS only temporary, and the effects will wear off. This is where a sitter comes in handy, as you can tell them o keep you distracted.
Focus on the good in the world. Close your eyes and picture a place you love. Feel comfortable in your place, knowing you are right and start to relax your muscles. Work from your head down. You have asked for guidance and truthfulness during this experience, and this is just the dawning of your conciousness. It is only your mind, and it will soon be back to normal. If you have any Benzos (Valium, Temazepam etc) handy then take some. 10mg for a person with no experience is a good dose in my experience.

Music can help you a lot. If there is one track you know that calms you down, then out it on. Think of all the good in the world. Replay happy memories and ignore the demons.
If closing your eyes is too overwhelming then distract yourself. Don't watch movies as things can scare you in them.

What could you do right now that would bethe most fun you could possibly have?

Stay relaxed and imagine yourself slowly getting up and beginning to do it.

(Copied from the Bad Trip guide, but it is very true)

When the drug wears off you will start to realise it. Return to normality, but don't return to Facebook, phone or whatever until you are comfortable. Look at the drug duration times on Erowid and rest assured knowing it is coming to an end.
Recount the beauty you saw. Did you lean anything? Cherish the experience and you will soon sleep the journey of a thousand miles.

You made it.

Feel free to add to this thread. I will probably put more in.

V1.0

Comments

• PsyntheticPsynthetic Regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't make too many plans, don't schedule your day. Just go with the flow. That way you won't get uneasy when things don't go as you had expected.

If a situation is making you uncomfortable, realize nothing is stopping you from simply getting up and leaving. Sometimes a change in environment can make all the difference.

Listen to music you enjoy sober, you will enjoy it 10x more.

Don't get upset if you're having trouble explaining something to someone. I remember back in the day if I found myself stumbling for words or not making sense I would get nervous like and feel stupid. Now I just laugh it off and say never mind.

If you are in public, remember: no one knows you are tripping and no one is staring at you!

The more you read about other peoples experiences and common causes of bad trips, the easier it will be to catch yourself as these symptoms appear, realize it's all in your head, and simply laugh it off.
  • edited July 2010
    RemadE wrote: »
    Ok so after trying shrooms a few times and wanting to share my knowledge with others via text file or whatever, I feel the time is right.

If you start having bad thoughts then think the following and repeat it. "This is only temporary, there is a reason for this happening, concentrate on the overwhelming good", and distract yourself. it IS only temporary, and the effects will wear off. This is where a sitter comes in handy, as you can tell them o keep you distracted.
    Focus on the good in the world. Close your eyes and picture a place you love. Feel comfortable in your place, knowing you are right and start to relax your muscles. Work from your head down. You have asked for guidance and truthfulness during this experience, and this is just the dawning of your conciousness. It is only your mind, and it will soon be back to normal. If you have any Benzos (Valium, Temazepam etc) handy then take some. 10mg for a person with no experience is a good dose in my experience.

Music can help you a lot. If there is one track you know that calms you down, then out it on. Think of all the good in the world. Replay happy memories and ignore the demons.
    If closing your eyes is too overwhelming then distract yourself. Don't watch movies as things can scare you in them.

What could you do right now that would bethe most fun you could possibly have?

Stay relaxed and imagine yourself slowly getting up and beginning to do it.

(Copied from the Bad Trip guide, but it is very true)

When the drug wears off you will start to realise it. Return to normality, but don't return to Facebook, phone or whatever until you are comfortable. Look at the drug duration times on Erowid and rest assured knowing it is coming to an end.
    Recount the beauty you saw. Did you lean anything? Cherish the experience and you will soon sleep the journey of a thousand miles.

You made it.

Feel free to add to this thread. I will probably put more in.

V1.0

Benzos and anti-psychotics work wonders. Also, the wrong music can make a bad trip worse. At least with Salvinorin A
  • edited July 2010
    Trust me. That's possibly one of the most challenging things you could do on shrooms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dock_Ellis

"His best season was 1971, when he won 19 games for the World Series champion Pirates and was the starting pitcher for the National League in the All-Star Game. However, he is perhaps best remembered for the claim that he threw a no-hitter in 1970 while under the influence of LSD."
  • BodilYFluidSBodilYFluidS Regular
    edited July 2010
    i've been looking for months and can't find anymore damn it.
  • corduroycorduroy Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Benzos and anti-psychotics work wonders.

Combining antipsychotics with psychedelics has been described as a mental straight-jacket. It's a really bad idea.

Benzos are a good option though, along with opiates.
  • 0omnidirectional0omnidirectional New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    Don't eat psyches if you are unwilling to face the consequences.

They all lead to the same place, and some really freaky shit will happen along the way.
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited July 2010
    I find that if it is getting intense, it is much less painful to just go with it than to try and change your mood. It is better to work out the bad thoughts and keep the flow going than to try and divert yourself from your train of thought and wind up in a paranoid cycle.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    Location seems to be the most important thing when it comes to tripping... Well that and mindset, if you go into tripping with bad thoughts you're obviously going to have a bad trip.
  • SliceSlice Regular
    edited February 2011
    At least with Salvinorin A

Jesus dubstep was the worst idea ever right after I took a massive rip of salvia. I couldn't deal with the pounding electronic bass that seemed to last forever.
  • fr0st_Bytefr0st_Byte Sumpin' c00L
    edited February 2011
    @ TheWanderer...

You should add this to your list in your stickied thread about "The Best of Bltc."
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited February 2011
    fr0st_Byte wrote: »
    @ TheWanderer...

You should add this to your list in your stickied thread about "The Best of Bltc."

It's already there. Fourth thread from the bottom in the how to section. :hai:
  • droppindsdroppinds Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    drink milk
  • AverageAverage Regular
    edited February 2011
    What's always worked for me is I just write on a piece of paper explaining to myself that it's just a trip and trying to write positive things down to try and think about good things. Also most benzos work, but they sometimes make the trip less intense.
  • ijustfartedijustfarted New Arrival
    edited March 2011
    I was once told that orange juice calms you down if you are in these situations. It might not be true but it is what I rely on to calm me down and maybe the fact that I believe it, it actually works.