My experience with boot camp

DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
edited February 2011 in Spurious Generalities
has been utter shit.

First boot camp didn't allow me to create a partition and requested a full-disk reformat. So I booted up my OS X disc, verified and repaired the disk permissions errors and rebooted. The problem remained.

Ok. No biggie. I booted the OS X disc again and reformatted in the MAC OS X [Journaled] format. I thought it would be smart to create a partition and make boot camp's job easier. Cool. So after 40 minutes of waiting, mac os x finishes installing and viola, brand new spanking os! Cool. I open Boot Camp, and try to use the partition I already made, and it gives me an error. "The volume mustn't be partitioned." GTFO.

So logically, I try to delete the partition via Disc Utility but I CAN'T. The option is greyed out >.> So I REFORMAT AGAIN this time creating a single partition of 999.9211321414 gbs called "MAC OS X." I try boot camp and it tells me to insert a "CD/DVD" or a FAT formatted USB device in order to save the Window Drivers needed for the installation. So I pop in a CD and when I click on "burn" the fucking cd dissappears. Finder can't find it, it doesn't show up on disc utlity and I'm going WDF?!!?!!? So I try a 1 gb USB drive and format it to FAT and pop it in. I click on "save" and the files won't save? :confused:

By this time, I'm freaking out and SUPER PISSED OFF. I google up a result and find an Apple article that says it isn't necessary and to skip that step. The MAC OS X install DVD already has the drivers -pre burned. So I partition my HDD and restart. The installation goes smoothly. After the Windows 7 Orb flashes, the screen blacks out. WDF?!?!?!??!?!?!? I reboot on my Mac and check for an answer. Some dude says to delete a file in sys32, I do it, reboot and it works!

So my Windows 7 works, drivers install fine, but the fucking graphics card acts all wild. "RADEON 4850 driver has unexpectively closed and successfully restored." gtfo. It starts snowing pink triangles turned neon green, hot pink, distorts and seems to be some 4 year olds project while meddling in PS using the distortion filters. The graphics card driver is so fucked I can't even reinstall it because it doesn't stop flickering and doing weird shit for more than 3 seconds.

So I boot up MAC OS X and delete the Windows partition via disc utility and I accidently FUCKING DELETE THE MAC OS X PARTITION TOO. fml. So I finally finished installing Mac OS X, fuck Windows. All of that hard work just to play Combat Arms. :mad:

Comments

• AmieAmie Regular
    edited February 2011
    OK. It's very simple. You made one mistake. Only one, but it is the cause of all the problems you are having.

You bought a mac.

Now don't ya do it anymore!
  • edited February 2011
    Moved to the relevant forum. That also sounds totally sucky man, but not as sucky as the Apple OS ;)
  • majeurevismajeurevis Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    Ok, why are you even using bootcamp? Since you're trying to install Windows and not Linux, just use Crossover. I play all of my games with it (NWN2, Oblivion, Two Worlds, etc.) and can run pretty much every program inside OSX.
  • majeurevismajeurevis Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    Just read that Crossover doesn't work with Nexon games because of Game Guard. Maybe a different vm then?
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited February 2011
    Something to do with the game engine and openGL shit w/e.

VMware and Parallels are good for virtualization but they aren't going to give me steady ~90 fps. That's even if the game starts up.

And FU guise. OS X rocks, I guess I'll be sticking to CS:S, TF2 and L4D2 for now. :(