Vaporizer cord is broken. HELP

droppindsdroppinds Acolyte
edited February 2011 in Man Cave
Hello everyone. I've had a Silver Surfer for about a year and its worked fine with no problems. Over the last couple of months I've increasingly noticed the wiring is coming undone. Its not the whole cord, its just the part where it connects into the Vaporizer, its a tiny little section of the entire cord. It was working fine with no problems so I ignored it. Then this week I've blown the power out of my room twice by trying to heat up the vape. It sparked, there was a little flame burning, and it made a little burn mark on the back of the vape. After the first time this happened I used it again with no problems for a couple of days.

Then today the same thing happened again, and I blew the power out and it sparked again. Now it won't turn on unless I play with the wires. But when i play with the wires sometimes it sparks, so I'm not going to do that anymore.

At this point I need advice from you seasoned tokers out there. I would send it back cuz it has a one year warranty, but a couple of weeks ago my warrenty ended. Not that I had the receipt for it anyways to prove I bought it. I got it brand new from a reputable store. I'm asking around to find someone with electrician experience to solder the cord back together, but I was looking for advice to solve the problem. Could I lie and pretend to the 7th floor I still have a warranty? Is it unfixable? Is there a chance I could fix it on my own? All help is welcomed.

P.S. Today I just discovered Totse is back up and running, you all know how excited that made me :) . Too bad we couldn't keep that stats of our old usernames to keep up that forum cred.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Is it possible to actually get inside of it and possibly remove the wire? Sounds like it's all loose or broken and needs a bit of bodging around. Pretty sure this sort of thing happens to other electronic items. You could remove the cord, strip the end of the wire and see if there's any obvious signs of damage. Once you're done, tape the wire back up with some insulation tape and see what happens.

I don't think you should be blowing out the power though, sounds unhealthy!

Oh, and welcome to Totse :D
  • fr0st_Bytefr0st_Byte Sumpin' c00L
    edited February 2011
    Things always seem to fuck up moments after the warranty expires. I don't have any experience with that brand of vape or electrical work so I'm no help. Maybe the guys at the store could help or call the manufacturer I'm sure they could troubleshoot for you.

Also I bet there is another section in totse that may could help you. Like maybe the guys that deal with wiring when it comes to explosives if you ask them nicely and explain a little more of the details. Try contacting Lord_Worm.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited February 2011
    Open it up, post a bunch of pix, I'll telk you how to fix it.

PS you'll need a soldering iron and a roll of solder.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2011
    Sounds like a simple matter of soldering a power cord.
  • edited February 2011

OP - this guy is an electrical genius. I can almost guarantee that he'll fix your problem if you do as he says :D
  • droppindsdroppinds Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    You guys are awesome. The responses were faster and better than those burnouts over at Grasscity:p
    Is it possible to actually get inside of it and possibly remove the wire? Sounds like it's all loose or broken and needs a bit of bodging around. Pretty sure this sort of thing happens to other electronic items. You could remove the cord, strip the end of the wire and see if there's any obvious signs of damage. Once you're done, tape the wire back up with some insulation tape and see what happens.
    I wish this was the case. The rubber outer coating is peeling off and theres two wires. A green and a white one. Both have metal (copper?) inner wires that are ripped and torn. Its more than the wires simply being jumbled up.

Dude thanks so much. So I just unscrewed it and I'm looking at it now. The wiring on the inside of the vape is all intact. Thing is the wires on the inside are like glued together so even though I took it apart I cannot actually move the wires around at all.

I'll upload some pics later tonight for you guys, I gotta roll up a fatty(as I can't vape:facepalm:) and go find a camera that doesn't suck.

Also you guys need to direct me to the cheapest possible soldering kit/supplies as I'm on a tight budget and I don't want to go all out for a solderer im gonna use once.

P.S.
    Oh, and welcome to Totse
    Welcome to Totse!? I've been here since before it went down you better not treat me like a noob! :p.... just realized that guy is a mod oopsies....
  • edited February 2011
    Well, good luck with all that! Hopefully you enjoy the fatty - maybe it will make a nice change from the vape eh? :D As for being around since before this place went down;

STFU New Arrival.

How did you manage to find this place anyway? I think you'll much prefer it to any other Totse Clones you come across. Please, enjoy your stay and don't be discouraged by the sometimes slow response times - this place is really only just starting up. Adios!
    edited February 2011
    droppinds wrote: »
    Also you guys need to direct me to the cheapest possible soldering kit/supplies as I'm on a tight budget and I don't want to go all out for a solderer im gonna use once.

just realized that guy is a mod oopsies....

Radioshack has shitty ass irons for like 7 bucks, but seeing as you don't plan on soldering any surface mount ICs it's fine for you.

Dfg is gonna go apeshit on anyone who bans, so you're safe. :o
    edited February 2011

P.S. Welcome to Totse!? I've been here since before it went down you better not treat me like a noob! :p.... just realized that guy is a mod oopsies....

Well then, welcome back.

OK your break is over, now get busy contributing. :p
  • edited February 2011
    I've never banned anyone here. Sometimes, I even forget that I'm a moderator :facepalm: I usually keep a check on things - suspicious activity, obvious duping and spam-bots. A lot of my work goes into moving/deleting/editing threads and posts for people.
    edited February 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I've never banned anyone here. Sometimes, I even forget that I'm a moderator :facepalm: I usually keep a check on things - suspicious activity, obvious duping and spam-bots. A lot of my work goes into moving/deleting/editing threads and posts for people.

You should ban me from 12:00 midnight until 7:00 AM GMT-5 just so you know how in case you have to. :p
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited February 2011
    GMT-5? Can't you just be normal and say EST?

Wdf. TDR is a mod? fuck
    edited February 2011
    Plane boy butthurt cuz hellish don't like him?
    edited February 2011
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    GMT-5? Can't you just be normal and say EST?

Wdf. TDR is a mod? fuck

I'm sorry if some math hurt your little head.
    edited February 2011
    Alright ladies heres the photos. If the quality is to shitty let me know and Ill get some better ones up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59970461@N06/

I couldn't get a good picture of the inner white and green cords. Thats where the metal wiring is fucked. If you look at the photo of the inside shot of the vape that black stuff thats on the green and white cords is the glue I mentioned in the earlier. I can't move the cords or take them out because of that glue.

p.s.
    As for being around since before this place went down;

STFU New Arrival.
    *waits for new arrival title to change*
    edited February 2011
    Oh man that's easy to fix, all you need are wire nuts.

Simply cut the power cable at the fucked up place and strip it. Then punch out the fucked up part and feed the cable through the hole. Put a knot in the cable so it doesn't pull out.

Cut the fucked up part out and leave as much wire as you can on the inside. Then strip those wires and connect them all up with wire nuts (just match up the colors).

Stripping means cutting off the rubber insulation. On the cable there's an outer jacket and 3 wires inside. Cut the outer jacket off, about 3.5 inches of it, making sure you don't damage the insulation of the inner wires. Then cut about .75" of insulation off the inner wires.

If you need any more help im here
    edited February 2011
    P.S. Welcome to Totse!? I've been here since before it went down you better not treat me like a noob! :p.... just realized that guy is a mod oopsies....

Damn I think everyone that posted in this thread are mods. That is why we are mods. ;)Except for taylor swifts fan club president there. Although I will not be mod of this section for much longer.:sad: At least not mod again for a while, hopefully again that is.
    edited February 2011
    fr0st_Byte wrote: »
    Damn I think everyone that posted in this thread are mods. That is why we are mods. ;)Except for taylor swifts fan club president there. Although I will not be mod of this section for much longer.:sad: At least not mod again for a while, hopefully again that is.

Why?

You are a good addition to the staff.
    edited February 2011
    Alright I think I got this. I'm gonna try to do it tomorrow. But i have a question. is...
    Then cut about .75" of insulation off the inner wires.

referring to what you said earlier?
    Cut the fucked up part out and leave as much wire as you can on the inside.
    edited February 2011
    Alright I think I got this. I'm gonna try to do it tomorrow. But i have a question. is...

referring to what you said earlier?

Any wire you plan to connect via wire nuts should have .75" of bared copper. That's about it.

Pretty much you're just getting rid of the fucked up part and connecting the mains cable directly to the stuff inside.
    edited February 2011
    Why?

You are a good addition to the staff.

Going back to prison on March 1st. :sad: Parole violation.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited February 2011
    Hey! I'm an ex-mod! :mad:
    edited February 2011
    Going back to prison on March 1st. :sad: Parole violation.

Good job. :facepalm:
  • MordFustangMordFustang Regular
    edited February 2011
    It sparked, there was a little flame burning, and it made a little burn mark on the back of the vape. After the first time this happened I used it again with no problems for a couple of days.

:facepalm:
    edited February 2011
    Good job. :facepalm:

You are no telling me anything I do not already feel. Trust me.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited February 2011
    How much time?
    edited February 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    How much time?

^this @ FB
    edited February 2011
    ^this @ FB

Only 11 months. That's counting the 30 days at R and E.
    edited February 2011
    ^Lemme guess, you failed a drug test? No I am not pulling a DS on you.
    edited February 2011
    alright so i got some wire connectors. I have two questions, Im just tryin to be cautious cuz i dnt wanna fuck up my precious...

1.) I'm a little nervous about pushing the inside cord through cuz of the glue. its strong and sturdy. Is the glue anything to worry about? or can i just punch it through no problem?

2.) As for the 3 inner cords (white, green, black). Am i completley severing each in half, where it is ripped? And then i use the wire connector (3 total, one for each) to join the now seperated wires to make them connected where they once were?

Leme know if i got this down, I'm terrible with this sort of thing. Thanks.
    edited February 2011
    ^Lemme guess, you failed a drug test? No I am not pulling a DS on you.

Nah, I've done that before and didn't get revoked. But I had to go to rehab, a long-term type place, not detox. And they put me in a room with a faggot that started hitting on me. So to avoid either hurting him bad or killing the fucker (I hadn't slept in 5 days), I left.

That got a hearing going for my PO and then before that could happen I was with someone that did something stupid in front of a cop and ended up getting caught with a little revolver and two balloons of dope.
    edited February 2011
    1.) I'm a little nervous about pushing the inside cord through cuz of the glue. its strong and sturdy. Is the glue anything to worry about? or can i just punch it through no problem?

What glue?

2.) As for the 3 inner cords (white, green, black). Am i completley severing each in half, where it is ripped? And then i use the wire connector (3 total, one for each) to join the now seperated wires to make them connected where they once were?

You cut them right before the fucked up part. Just try and save as much wire as you can there because it'll make it easier to connect.

Make sure you put a knot in the mains cable though, or it'll pull out easily.
    edited February 2011
    You would never see a mod at the Z place do this for a user.
    edited February 2011
    If you look at picture P004 you'll see on the inside of the vape are the cords. But there covered in a greyish/black blob. thats the glue I'm talking about. The glue has hardened around the cords, so when you touch the cord where the glue is it is rock solid. I'm concercned that if i put to much pressure, or do it carelessly the glue will rip or damage the cords. Because it has hardened them so they are not as flexible as the normal wire/cord would be without glue.

As it stands now I can't push the inside cord through to the outside. Because it is glued in place to the back hole where the power cord enters. I mean I can push it through, I just need to loosen up or break the glue first. I cannot move forward in repairing this until I breakup the glue.

However It may be of no concern, which I think might be the case because it had not even crossed your mind. If you have anything to say about breaking the glue so i can move the cords around let me know. Otherwise Fuck it and ill just go ahead and breakup the glue and assume the cords won't be damaged.

I'll be going ahead with the procedure tomorrow afternoon, ill let you know how it goes.

EDIT: someone at Grasscity advised the same procedure except to use electrical tape, not wire connectors. Any thoughts on that? It seems like more of a temporary fix, rather than a permanent solution as the wire connectors should be. I mean when the electrician wires a house he uses wire connectors rather than simple electrical tape.
    edited February 2011
    I would use bullet terminal connectors myself. You can get a dozen of them at Lowes for $1.98. Of course you will also need a crimping tool like this one which comes with a good assortment of connectors as well as the tool for around $8.00. This is a more permanent connection than a wire nut and will probably be easier to fit in a small space such as inside your vape.
    edited February 2011
    I'd use wirenuts because it's likely to be hot inside that vape and the tape would come loose. Of course you can always just use both.

As for the glue, bust that shit off. The wires will be fine.
    edited February 2011
    ^This, I always tape wire nuts when I put in a light fixture or a ceiling fan. But I still prefer the bullet connectors which I still tape.
    edited February 2011
    alright so i'm in the process of fixing it. This glue is a bitch. I've been going at it for an hour with my pocket knife, trying not to damage the cords in the process. I can almost get the inner cords through the hole so I can sever them. But theres this U-shaped metal thing that was glued into it, to keep the cords together and in place. I'm trying to get this u-shaped metal thing off cuz then all the cords will be free.
    edited February 2011
    Try using a solvent such as acetone to remove the glue.
    edited February 2011
    alrighty wow... So after 3 or 4 hous of hard work (not that it should've taken that long im just not mechanically inclined) I got everything working...for a couple minutes. I got the three wire connectors on successfully. I just brought it out to another room that wasnt mine, incase it blew up when I turned it on, and I tested it and it was working fine. I played around with it and let it run for a few minutes and it was going great.

I just brought it back to my room and suddenly it isnt working. I noticed a funny smell coming from it that ive never smelt before when I had it working, but i think that was because i put on a tiny piece in the heating element on wrong. I'm kinda confused right now as it suddenly won't turn on. I'm gonna open it up, look at everything, and try it in that other room again. Hopefully Ill be able to figure out watsup.

Now I still have an important question. Im kinda paranoid about these wire connectors. As it is a live wire in open air, sort of. I mean they are all on tight and correctly im just nervous theres a small chance something could go very wrong sometime. Do i need to worry about the wires sparking or anything like that? If there is a very remote chance let me know, in the interest of disclosure.

In the meantime Im gonna do some investigating and figure out why it wont work suddenly.
    edited February 2011
    Update: So that was weird. It suddenly started working again. Everything seems to be fine, im letting it heat up now so i can hit it. The odd smell I smelt is still there. It isn't constant though, and kit kinda smells like an oven. Its a faint scent, when im on the other side of the room not paying attention i cant smell it. But I intensly smelt all around the vape (akward yes) and the only place the smell is coming from is the heating element. This leads me to conclude several things about the smell

1.) nothing indicates the smell is coming from the wires, and it doesnt smell like that would. so thats good.
    2.) the smell is most probably just the heat inside making some of the leftover glue residue, and w.e. mini bits of wire I couldn't get out be burnt up. I got out all the bits I could short of a deep clean so im not terribly concerned about this even tho it may sound bad. Its sorta like when you leave shit on the bottom of an oven and you should clean it out, but we all leave it there and it burns itself up eventually. no harm no foul.
    2A.) upon writing point 2 i suddenly realized ill probably be inhaling exhaust and vapor from that glue. Will I let this hinder my need to vaporize headies nuggets? the unequivocal answer is no
    3.) The only trace of the smell is smelt in the air coming out of the heating element. The smell is absolutely not leaking out of the back hole where the cords enter. And it is not leaking out in the small, but not airtight, gap where the base and the vape meet once you screw them together.

If you guys got any thoughts on what the smell might be, or wats causing it, etc. let me know. Once I determine that everything is a-ok and back to normal I'll get some pics up for you ladies so you can see the finished product. Talk about a ghetto vape