Punt guns

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited February 2011 in Man Cave
A punt gun is a type of extremely large shotgun used in the 19th and 20th centuries for shooting large numbers of waterfowl for commercial harvesting operations. Punt guns were usually custom-designed and so varied widely, but could have bore diameters exceeding 2 inches and fire over a pound (.5 kilos) of shot at a time.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2007/08/30/punt-guns/

I want this.

Comments

• RolfRolf Regular
    edited February 2011
    I want this.

Rolf suggests training, if thou trains more, one might be able to hit the broadside of an Anzac class frigate, therefore not need said Puntgun... unless, said one be compensating for something else, states Rolf.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2011
    Rolf wrote: »
    Rolf suggests training, if thou trains more, one might be able to hit the broadside of an Anzac class frigate, therefore not need said Puntgun... unless, said one be compensating for something else, states Rolf.

There is a reason why Samurai training is obsolete. :facepalm:
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited February 2011

I'm a good shot it's just that it looks badass mainly as a novelty gun.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited February 2011
    There is a reason why Samurai training is obsolete. :facepalm:

Rolf disagrees, horse archery will always be necessary, Genghis Khan will be reborn, states Rolf.
    edited February 2011
    Rolf disagrees, horse archery will always be necessary, Genghis Khan will be reborn, states Rolf.

Get back to me on that when you are capable of having a discussion based on reality skippy.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited February 2011

Automatic weapons, armored fighting vehicles, air force to name a few would fuck up any horse archers.
    edited February 2011
    ^He knows that, he is just being his usual obtuse self absorbed pathetic self.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited February 2011
    How about an automatic punt gun with a 30 round magazine? You could probably take out a small army with one of those.
    edited February 2011
    How about an automatic punt gun with a 30 round magazine? You could probably take out a small army with one of those.

It's called an AA-12
    edited February 2011
    ^^ Yeah, I've heard of those. I meant something on scale with the one in the video.
    edited February 2011
    ^^ Yeah, I've heard of those. I meant something on scale with the one in the video.

Sounds like you are in the market for one of these.

• RolfRolf Regular
    edited February 2011

Metal Storm = Awesome, states Rolf.

Has thee seen the grenade launcher prototype they made for the ADF? Asks Rolf. It's influenced by the US OICW and the S.Korean K11, uses a single barrel with three 40mm grenades stacked inside like those Roman candles, states Rolf. There are small charges in these grenades, which are therefore caseless and don't need reloading, the launcher uses an electrical impulse to fire each of the grenades in succession, states Rolf. It's a shame that it weighs something like 8 or 9 kilograms, one could have an automatic rifleman for the same weight, states Rolf.

Metal%20Storm%20AICW%20-%20Internal%20View.jpg
    Automatic weapons, armored fighting vehicles, air force to name a few would fuck up any horse archers.

Rolf thanks thou for the lesson in modern military tactics, states Rolf.
    edited February 2011

60,000 RPM sounds like someone farting.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited February 2011
    /Snip

I can't remember what the call the new deal, and I think they are even piloting it with my old comrades. Burst fire or something like that?

It's essentally a 40mm grenade launcher with a laser range finder, and can burst after going through light cover or can detonate above cover to make casualties behind barriers.

Like I said I don't remember the name; however it looks quite promising. If we get that technology underslung for current grenadiers it would be evil in urban combat.

But as I said. Never handled one, have NOooooOoo idea what it's capable of. Completely classified in military tribulations I assume.

Also, the only time we ever used shotguns was for breaching. or serious house sweeping.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited February 2011
    acid_drop wrote: »
    Like I said I don't remember the name; however it looks quite promising. If we get that technology underslung for current grenadiers it would be evil in urban combat.

Rolf has seen pictures and such of this design, it does sound promising though, can't seem to recall it's name either, bugger, states Rolf.
    edited February 2011
    Rolf has seen pictures and such of this design, it does sound promising though, can't seem to recall it's name either, bugger, states Rolf.

Yeah I think the trials started this year or last with the 82nd or 75th-rangers. Can't remember which. The rangers got the actual field test of the SCAR-H, but we only got to dick with them in range trials.

I'm thinking my old 82nd has gotten the new fangled deal. But from what I have seen of it, it is HUGE. I mean larger than the AT4(which you can sling on your back). And due to it's size and not being able to carry a rifle, I'd say EFF that.
    edited February 2011
    Metal Storm = Awesome, states Rolf.

Has thee seen the grenade launcher prototype they made for the ADF? Asks Rolf. It's influenced by the US OICW and the S.Korean K11, uses a single barrel with three 40mm grenades stacked inside like those Roman candles, states Rolf. There are small charges in these grenades, which are therefore caseless and don't need reloading, the launcher uses an electrical impulse to fire each of the grenades in succession, states Rolf. It's a shame that it weighs something like 8 or 9 kilograms, one could have an automatic rifleman for the same weight, states Rolf.

Metal%20Storm%20AICW%20-%20Internal%20View.jpg

Nope, first time I have seen this. It sounds like an awesome squad weapon though. Sort of reminds me of my old M203 on steroids and meth.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited February 2011
    Nope, first time I have seen this. It sounds like an awesome squad weapon though. Sort of reminds me of my old M203 on steroids and meth.

Kind of defeats the purpose of a bullpup weapon when it's both heavy and quite large, still, it's an interesting technology and probably a better fit for the Steyr than the M203, states Rolf.
    I can't remember what the call the new deal, and I think they are even piloting it with my old comrades. Burst fire or something like that?

Rolf has remembered the name of the weapon that said Rolf was referring too, the XM-25 Air Bursting Assault Weapon, were you speaking of the same thing?

xm25_digicam.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Quite probably. The "rifle" you could laser to something and adjust a few meters after or through barriers? Airburst sounds about right though. Essentially a frag round with an electronic trigger that detonated after a given distance.

I think it would be fantastic if integrated with grenadier rifles, but as a stand alone weapon, probably not terribly useful. Grenadiers currently operate with standard riflemen. If this was their primary arm, they would have to hang back, thus eliminating a useful man from the effective squad. Which in current small unit combat- doesn't work so well. I always commanded a flanking squad of about 6, losing one man means a loss of a great deal of flexibility and suppression.

Like I said, they scale it down, it could be useful. But even the AT-4(or the Gustav we used) is not the weapon the soldier assaults with. It's a purpose built weapon, not an assault weapon. Sling it under like the current M203 or the M302 and we have a deal. But an AT-4 sized rifle for one purpose isn't going to work in a successful squad/platoon.
  • edited February 2011
    Quite probably. The "rifle" you could laser to something and adjust a few meters after or through barriers? Airburst sounds about right though. Essentially a frag round with an electronic trigger that detonated after a given distance.

I think it would be fantastic if integrated with grenadier rifles, but as a stand alone weapon, probably not terribly useful. Grenadiers currently operate with standard riflemen. If this was their primary arm, they would have to hang back, thus eliminating a useful man from the effective squad. Which in current small unit combat- doesn't work so well. I always commanded a flanking squad of about 6, losing one man means a loss of a great deal of flexibility and suppression.

Like I said, they scale it down, it could be useful. But even the AT-4(or the Gustav we used) is not the weapon the soldier assaults with. It's a purpose built weapon, not an assault weapon. Sling it under like the current M203 or the M302 and we have a deal. But an AT-4 sized rifle for one purpose isn't going to work in a successful squad/platoon.

Also it's in ACU, which will look great in combination with the new multicam uniforms.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited February 2011
    I think it would be fantastic if integrated with grenadier rifles, but as a stand alone weapon, probably not terribly useful. Grenadiers currently operate with standard riflemen. If this was their primary arm, they would have to hang back, thus eliminating a useful man from the effective squad.

Rolf agrees with this, removing the grenadier's rifle and replacing it with a more dedicated grenade launcher wouldn't be efficient on a fireteam or squad level, considering their already small size.
    Also it's in ACU, which will look great in combination with the new multicam uniforms.

Yes, the logistical issues with changing a prototype weapons colour would cause the downfall of the U.S Army, states Rolf.