Post Counts in Half Baked

edited March 2011 in Help and Suggestions
Do you think we should have post counts enabled or disabled in Half Baked? It's obviously full of shit and imbalances the post count system quite a lot depending on how much people post in there. I know we all say we don't give a shit about them, but it's obviously cared about enough to actually have a post count system in place - so why not balance things out and make it so that posts in HB don't contribute to our counts?

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    HB is just that, half baked nonsense that is not true content, so no.
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited March 2011
    On the original totse, Half Baked posts added to one's post count and there were never any problems, so I think that is how it should stay. The more recent forum description even specifically said the HB is not a spam forum, and the only reason the description was changed was because I requested that the old description be used. I consider HB posts as content with the exception that it does not have to generate discussion. Aside from that, I would not mind if post counts were removed from all of totse.
  • edited March 2011
    Interesting input so far :thumbsup: I actually do agree with you guys - I wasn't actually making a real suggestion on getting the counts removed as I don't really notice them anyway. In fact, I agree with Vozhde in that I wouldn't mind if they were removed altogether. Anyway, thanks for the votes and replies :D
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited March 2011
    We don't care about post count. Either have it or not have it, but don't bother with making posts count in certain forums and not in others.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited March 2011
    I say leave it as is. No real harm comes from it and if we disabled it think the only real result would be people bitching.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    I don't mind post count and I do post in HB from time to time. Let's not discriminate forums based on what they output or what users posts in them.
  • edited March 2011
    vozhde wrote: »
    On the original totse, Half Baked posts added to one's post count and there were never any problems, so I think that is how it should stay.

Near the end all HB posts were discounted, past, present and future. It was like having a layer of thickly encrusted shit scraped off the surface of Totse's post count rankings, as roughly 100 'top' posters suddenly disappeared, never to return.

Having a post count at all is pretty pointless if HB posts are included in it.
    edited March 2011
    Near the end all HB posts were discounted, past, present and future.

What year was that? I increased my post count by more than 700 with the posts I made in HB from 2008-2009 before totse was taken down. Maybe what you describe came before that.
  • edited March 2011
    The only reason I made it on to this list is because all the HB posts got annihilated. You'll notice users like LSA King aren't on it, because despite being hugely prolific they primarily posted within HB. Meh, maybe Zok switched it back on, his spine never was that strong in the face of sustained whining which is why The Trashcan was created when we already had one... HB!
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited March 2011
    No, there are quality posts in HB. Plus why does post count matter?
  • edited March 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    No, there are quality posts in HB.

Maybe so, but, much like prospecting for gold in a sewage works, I doubt anyone goes there looking for quality.
    Plus why does post count matter?

It doesn't if it matters in HB.
    edited March 2011
    Maybe so, but, much like prospecting for gold in a sewage works, I doubt anyone goes there looking for quality.

I'm interested to here exactly what harm post counts in hb causes?
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Remember the rating thing or whatever it was they tried to implement towards the end? We should drop post counts and have that.

Better indicator of how much good shit someone contributes.
  • edited March 2011
    I'm interested to here exactly what harm post counts in hb causes?

Harm? None as such. But I've already covered the excrement angle with regards to how 'valuable' it makes someone's post count.
    buddha wrote: »
    Remember the rating thing or whatever it was they tried to implement towards the end? We should drop post counts and have that.

Better indicator of how much good shit someone contributes.

Speaking of excrement... you're referring to the reputation system?

Yes, yes, don't forget to make it anonymous like it originally was, because it was shit but it was funny shit.
    edited March 2011

There is no doubt that HB contains both quality and trash posts, but that does not make for an argument against post count.

Post count counts posts. Simple as that.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Harm? None as such. But I've already covered the excrement angle with regards to how 'valuable' it makes someone's post count.

Speaking of excrement... you're referring to the reputation system?

Yes, yes, don't forget to make it anonymous like it originally was, because it was shit but it was funny shit.

No, not anon. I liked be able to tell people something positive when it was a good post, or tell them what a fucking idiot they were, when it wasn't. Without shitting up the whole thread.
  • edited March 2011
    There is no doubt that HB contains both quality and trash posts, but that does not make for an argument against post count.

Post count counts posts. Simple as that.

Simple and meaningless when posting "+1" is given equivalent value to someone posting a careful explanation of a complex chemical synthesise in the science forums.

May as well just scrap it instead of cluttering up the screen with a pointless statistic.
    edited March 2011
    Simple and meaningless when posting "+1" is given equivalent value to someone posting a careful explanation of a complex chemical synthesise in the science forums.

May as well just scrap it instead of cluttering up the screen with a pointless statistic.

lol you mad because you care about post count and you don't fit in with the HB crowd who get all the post counts :facepalm:

Also, why haven't you voted 'Yes'?
    edited March 2011

Once again who does it hurt?
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited March 2011
    This isn't Zoklet. Most communities have a somewhat Everything-Goes forum to keep other forums clean(er). Lets not pretend post count really affects quality because it doesn't.
  • edited March 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    No, not anon. I liked be able to tell people something positive when it was a good post, or tell them what a fucking idiot they were, when it wasn't. Without shitting up the whole thread.

Ah, well I didn't take the rep' system seriously at all so found it quite amusing when I got threating 'anon' messages along the lines of 'Any more of your nonsense and you're gone. Zok'. Things may have changed but the rep' system ended up getting raped, anon or not.

lol you mad because you care about post count and you don't fit in with the HB crowd who get all the post counts :facepalm:

Also, why haven't you voted 'Yes'?

I like forums that are uncluttered. Maybe the word "cluttering" didn't make that clear enough.

As for some infantile desire to show off my e-penis I could go around saying I was a mod on the real Totse, registered in '03 but stuck with the SotB name since '04, with 8000+ posts who managed forums far bigger than many of this sites sections combined, blah, blah, blah... but I don't, because I really am too old for such silly shit. And I can easily find something more productive to do than post here and listen to "lol you mad...?" from a 'senior' member of staff.

Voting in polls? Waste of time in my experience.
    edited March 2011
    Ah, well I didn't take the rep' system seriously at all so found it quite amusing when I got threating 'anon' messages along the lines of 'Any more of your nonsense and you're gone. Zok'. Things may have changed but the rep' system ended up getting raped, anon or not.

I like forums that are uncluttered. Maybe the word "cluttering" didn't make that clear enough.

As for some infantile desire to show off my e-penis I could go around saying I was a mod on the real Totse, registered in '03 but stuck with the SotB name since '04, with 8000+ posts who managed forums far bigger than many of this sites sections combined, blah, blah, blah... but I don't, because I really am too old for such silly shit. And I can easily find something more productive to do than post here and listen to "lol you mad...?" from a 'senior' member of staff.

I dont see what looks so "cluttered" about it. It's just a number under "join date". Big deal.
  • edited March 2011
    I dont see what looks so "cluttered" about it. It's just a number under "join date". Big deal.

It's a slippery slope, which may be a logical fallacy, but humans aren't especially logical.
  • edited March 2011
    Well, I didn't expect to generate quite as much activity in here as I did :D Just remember that nothings getting changed - I just wanted some feedback as to how individuals felt about this :thumbsup: Community feedback FTW.
    edited March 2011
    It's a slippery slope, which may be a logical fallacy, but humans aren't especially logical.

How is a number n the right hand corner a slippery slope?:confused:
    edited March 2011
    There is a part of me that supports removing post count from HB because I want people to post there because they like the forum, not to increase some number.
    edited March 2011
    vozhde wrote: »
    There is a part of me that supports removing post count from HB because I want people to post there because they like the forum, not to increase some number.

Except nobody posts just to increase a number and if they do let the faggotry associated with doing that speak or itself.
  • edited March 2011
    How is a number n the right hand corner a slippery slope?:confused:

One piece of extraneous information can be used as an excuse for the creation of another, although not necessarily in the same place. On its own it is not a slippery slope; they are formed incrementally and those who lack foresight are the first ones to slide down them.
    edited March 2011

If you really don't care, then stop making such a huge fuss over nothing. And obviously you have nothing more productive to do as you're still posting here and listening to "lol you mad...?" from a 'senior' member of staff.
  • ScuDScuD Regular
    edited March 2011
    No, there are quality posts in HB. Plus why does post count matter?

YES. Egotistical Thread
  • edited March 2011
    If you really don't care, then stop making such a huge fuss over nothing.

I'm not making a huge fuss I'm simply disagreeing with you, something which you clearly aren't mature enough to deal with.
    And obviously you have nothing more productive to do as you're still posting here and listening to "lol you mad...?" from a 'senior' member of staff.

Yes, my mistake, clearly I'm not talking to 'senior' anything, just another smartass boy who doesn't know how he should conduct himself as a staff member on a site that's seemingly selling itself as an improvement on Zoklet.

But you've got a point, ultimately if I want to be more productive I should leave. Easily done.
    edited March 2011
    One piece of extraneous information can be used as an excuse for the creation of another, although not necessarily in the same place. On its own it is not a slippery slope; they are formed incrementally and those who lack foresight are the first ones to slide down them.

Let me get this straight a number does all this?
  • edited March 2011
    Let me get this straight a number does all this?

It contributes.
  • uofmcamarouofmcamaro Regular
    edited March 2011
    Ahhhhhh, I meant to vote no they shouldn't be disabled.
    edited March 2011
    Still driving off members, eh cunt? Good for you, idiot.

ohai, that's my job :hai: