Gaming Rigs, Post Your Rigs

DfgDfg Admin
edited March 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Post your system information here and pictures if possible. Unlike other threads, we will aim to help you in upgrading the system as well.

Current System:
Monitor:
IBM G78 [Max Resolution: 1600*1200] [Current Resolution: 1280x1024]
Processor:
Intel Core2 Duo E4600 2.40Ghz [Overclocks to 2.8Ghz]
Motherboard:
GA965-S2 [Gigabyte]
RAM
6GB Dual Channel DDR2 800Mhz [Kingsten]
GPU:
MSI 8500GT 512MB [Overclocks to 500Mhz] [Preferred Gaming Res: 1024*768]
HDD:
1x 1TB Seagate 2x WD 360GB [7200rpm]
Chasis:
Asus Customized [Added more holes and fans]
PSU:
Antec Truepower Trio 650W
Sound Card/System:
Realtek 888 8 Channel with SPDIF IN/OUT + USB Multi-Channel Audio Device [8 Channel Headphones HU-510]
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Comments

• DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited February 2011
    Monitor: LG L227WTG

Processor: i7 something running at 3.2 gHz

Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Gene

Ram: 8gb

GPU: SLI enabling 2x 275 gtx 1g DDR3

HDD: 1 TB @ 7200 rpm

Chasis: default shitty one

PSU: Forgot the brand, it's 1000 W something

Soundcard: default build-in chipset

• DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    This is my rig that im in the middle of building

Monitor : AOC 2230FM

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 GHz

Case: Cooler Master centurion 5

GPU: built in (for now)

PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme Power 550W

RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200 RPM

Soundcard: Built in

SAM_0036.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    9mo.jpg

K.png

In case you can't read it, my RAM is underclocked slightly to enable the CPU to be overclocked higher. I got it up to 3.2GHz but the RAM is a massive bottleneck :( Now it's settled at 3GHz stable. I also overclocked my GPU a little bit using Rivatuner.

Case is a Coolermaster HAF922, 200mm top fan, 200mm side fan, 180mm? front fan with dust filter, 120mm rear fan, Prolimatech Megahalems Heatsink with a coolermaster 120mm LED fan on it, for the ladies ;)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Thanks to Trx110, my system is now overclocked to 2.8. I went for 3.04Ghz but my SATA/ACHI BIOs failed to load. Still, it's awesome. RAM is set to 628 Mhz and CPU clock is 236 :D.
  • edited February 2011
    Nice one dude :D Keep trying to push it higher if you can, although that RAM is likely to be a big issue :( If you get boot failures then try pushing up the Northbridge voltage a little.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Nice one dude :D Keep trying to push it higher if you can, although that RAM is likely to be a big issue :( If you get boot failures then try pushing up the Northbridge voltage a little.

I might try that, I just overclocked raven system. It's Core i3 530 @ 2.9Ghz. It's now, overclocked to 3.8 Ghz stable.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited February 2011
    RAM is more important that you think. Overclocking your CPU doesn't mean shit when everything it has to do needs access to your RAM. You're hello world might run 20% faster but anything bigger than your cache will need to get at your RAM. To illustrate: OC'ing your CPU and UC'ing your RAM is like putting a ferrari engine in your car but replacing the wheels with plastic ones.

Your CPU is already running faster that you can even imagine.

Anyway, here is my old(ish) system:
    Monitor:
    Samsung SM2233BW - Current Resolution: 1680x1024
    Processor:
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz
    Motherboard:
    ASUS Striker Extreme (piece of shit)
    RAM
    4GB Dual Channel DDR2 1066Mhz - OCZ
    GPU:
    NVidia GTX260
    HDD:
    2x 500GB RAID0 2x 80GB [7200rpm]
    Chasis:
    Antec 300 (best case ever)
    PSU:
    Some crappy, noisy 550W thing
    Sound Card/System:
    Built into mobo
    Arch Linux, OSX (Hackintosh, never really used), Windows 7 Professional (64 bit)

Windows for some steam games but I mostly play Starcraft II which runs perfectly under Linux. Anything else I need Windows for (iTunes etc) I just use a virtual machine. Pain in the arse really. Hopefully Steam will be on Linux one day...
  • edited February 2011
    RAM is more important that you think. Overclocking your CPU doesn't mean shit when everything it has to do needs access to your RAM. You're hello world might run 20% faster but anything bigger than your cache will need to get at your RAM. To illustrate: OC'ing your CPU and UC'ing your RAM is like putting a ferrari engine in your car but replacing the wheels with plastic ones.

Actually, you Underclock the RAM before you make changes to the CPU. Because the CPU and RAM work together, the RAM frequency changes when you increase the CPU FSB speed. This means that if you start with underclocked RAM and work your way up from there, you can achieve greater Overclocks.

My RAM is only a little underclocked in the screenshot because I couldn't increase the FSB anymore without my system being unstable, so I just left it at a little below stock speed.
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited February 2011
    Current System:
    Monitor:
    Asus MS238 [Current Resolution: 1920x1080]
    Processor:
    AMD Athlon II X4 640 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
    Motherboard:
    Asus M4A8ST/USB3
    RAM:
    4GB DDR3
    GPU:
    Radeon HIS5750 1gb
    HDD:
    1x 1TB, 1x 750gb [Both 7200rpm]
    Chasis:
    Some piece of shit that lights up blue and has a heap of fans
    PSU:
    Some 650w one
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
  • edited February 2011
    Quite a few Totseans have good gaming rigs, but every single Steam thread which has been created only has a couple of replies in :( Such a shame, as we totseans could be pwning each other at TF2 or something.
  • xionousxionous Semo-Regulars
    edited March 2011
    Processor:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
    Memory:
    4000MB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    1 TB Total ( 2x 500Gb Seagate barracuda 7200 RPM )
    Video Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    Monitor:
    Samsung 22" widescreen ( Two screens )
    Sound Card:
    Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio)
    Speakers/Headphones:
    5.1 650W Logitech surround sound
    Keyboard:
    Logitech G15
    Mouse:
    OCZ Equalizer Z gaming mouse
    Operating System:
    Windows 7™ Home Premium
    Motherboard:
    ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe Wifi-AP @n
    Computer Case:
    Apevia X-CRUISER 11X Drive Bays 17 in Metal ATX Case W/ Side Window Black
  • edited March 2011
    ^ You should overclock that CPU dude, you could easily push that past 3GHz :)
  • edited March 2011
    ^ Sounds like you need an upgrade! :D
  • OnesanOnesan Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    processor : AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor @ 2.8ghz
    memory: 4 gig of ddr3 1333 planning on getting 16 gig sometime
    hdd: one 1tb 7200 drive and one 1 tb drive in hotswap bay backing up the first
    graphics: galaxy geforce gts450 factory overclock with a gig of gddr5 onboard 128-bit mem interface
    display: viewsonic vx2233wm-3 22' lcd 1920X1080
    Soundcard: SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    Speakers: old reliable 10 year old stereo with headphone to rca adapter
    Keyboard: random generic backlight keyboard with media crap, red and blue switable backlight
    Mouse: pretty much same as above, minus backlighting
    Joystick: random saitek six axis flight yoke i picked up cheap ages ago
    Operating system: CentOS release 5.5 (Final)
    Motherboard: gigabyte 870A-ud3
    Case: fuck knows, full size generic with lots of standard cooling and drive bay slots extending from the bottom to the start of the 5.25inch bays
    nonstandard stuffs: 1 sata hotswap bay, one pata hotswap bay cheap lcd thermocouple monitoring panel in a 5.25 bay that beeps annoyingly loud when you touch it, does let you molest the fan speeds manually though
  • xionousxionous Semo-Regulars
    edited March 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    ^ You should overclock that CPU dude, you could easily push that past 3GHz :)

Yeah i could lol but never really needed to and i have had this system for about 4 years and i may upgrade it soon so at this point there is no point.
  • IshabooIshaboo Semo-Regulars
    edited March 2011
    xionous wrote: »
    Yeah i could lol but never really needed to and i have had this system for about 4 years and i may upgrade it soon so at this point there is no point.

Pssssssh. I'd spend money an upgrade if I were you. Seems like with what you have, even the internet and loading of pages goes slow for you. ;x That would annoy the hell out of me. lol