How do you properly delete a Facebook account?

When you go to delete your account, there's only an option for you to DISABLE it. This means that Facebook hold your account data for a period of time (probably forever, the bastards) just in case you wish to re-enable your account at a later date.

But what about if you want to delete it completely - what happens then? Is there a way?

Comments

• buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    I had this problem a few months ago, I was told there is a way. But not how to do it.

Let's google...

ah yes, here we go.

Follow me down the rabbit hole.
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks bro. Facebook are absolute bitches when it comes to personal information, and I bet that even once you've deleted your account, your information still sits on their servers forever :facepalm:
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Thanks bro. Facebook are absolute bitches when it comes to personal information, and I bet that even once you've deleted your account, your information still sits on their servers forever :facepalm:

2 weeks. Don't log in to it after you click the thing to delete it for 2 weeks then it will be gone. Still fucking dumb but oh well.

Also don't click anything to do with facebook, or it won't delete. Clear your cookies and shit. Anything that may access anything facebook in any way will keep the delete from going through. Pain in the ass.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited March 2011
    lol you have facebook!
  • edited March 2011
    lol you have facebook!

I never said that I had a Facebook account ;) Just wondered how to delete one properly.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited March 2011
    dont deny it man.

its ok i once had a myspace :(
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd bet 99% of people here have a FB account either for trolling or personal use. Who gives a fuck. I have one, and use it to talk to my family. You know "hey mom bring me some more fried chicken and mt dew" Shit like that.
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah - I've got a troll FB account too. It's great for teaming up on unsuspecting idiots with my friends from school, etc. Nothing better than trolling the class nigger! :D
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited March 2011
    I bet you're going to cancel the deletion before the 2 weeks. Nearly everyone does.
  • edited March 2011
    I bet you're going to cancel the deletion before the 2 weeks. Nearly everyone does.

I'm not actually deleting an account - I was just curious as to how you would go about deleting an account if you actually wanted to do it. It's a shame that Facebook want to hold on to your data so badly :(
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited March 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I'm not actually deleting an account - I was just curious as to how you would go about deleting an account if you actually wanted to do it. It's a shame that Facebook want to hold on to your data so badly :(

They will not fully delete it, only lock it or store it on an offline server unless you threaten them with whatever the equivilent of section 10 of the UK data protection act is in your country.

It is covering exercise on their behalf - they may claim they need that data for any future legal investigations, but most western countries have something similar to section 10 - all countries in the EU do and any do do countries that personal data is sent to from the EU must have it also, otherwise the data cannot be sent there by any one other than the person the data is about.
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited March 2011
    i fucking hate facebook, i disabled mine ages ago and when i google my full name my fucking picture comes up in the images :angry:
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited March 2011
    Pacino wrote: »
    i fucking hate facebook, i disabled mine ages ago and when i google my full name my fucking picture comes up in the images :angry:

Must cost you a fortune in new screens.
  • IndulgenceIndulgence Regular
    edited March 2011
    Pacino wrote: »

You suck at privacy settings then.

But yeah, facebook is a bitch about "deleting" accounts.
  • ImmaChrgnMaLAZRImmaChrgnMaLAZR Regular
    edited March 2011
    Facebook reminds me of Norton.....a bitch to delete.

I propose a Facebook removal tool to be made!