Why the hate on Eng Dubs, bros?

BigBroBigBro Regular
edited March 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I've watched both the japanese and english dubs of Bleach, and I gotta say, it was Eng dubbed pretty well in English.
So, aside from the fact that they leave out small things (like the little skits after the credits), why the dub hate, bros?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    I normally don't hate Dubs but some of them Animes have horrible Dubs. Still I don't mind watching Dubbed Animes. Subs are still preferred.
  • BigBroBigBro Regular
    edited August 2010
    Ah, right.
    I ain't too much an anime fan myself, y'see. I only started watching the subs when i ran out of dub episodes.

I just found people's hate for dubs so perplexing because I've seen the both, and I can honestly say that bleach was dubbed really, really well. I mean, Rukia has deep voices in both, Urahara sounds much the same, Nel sounds almost identical.
  • Panic!Panic! Regular
    edited August 2010
    I hate them because the voices are so corny, and subs are the best chance to practice my japanese
  • D7D7 Regular
    edited August 2010
    Dubs are like subs actually, some are just plain suck while other is even better than the original (Some people say Cowboy Bebop is the case but I never confirmed it myself) the only difference is subs have more alternatives than dubs.

I still prefer subs though. Dubs somehow makes the anime lose some of it's merits
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm learning Japanese so subs are preferable. The English dubs are plain and robotic. Absolutely no emotion whatsoever.
  • AKIRAAKIRA Regular
    edited August 2010
    Daily wrote: »
    I'm learning Japanese so subs are preferable. The English dubs are plain and robotic. Absolutely no emotion whatsoever.

I aint used to the edit button next to the quote button, but yeah this is it for nowadays, i used to enjoy dubs back with old-school anime but how you got anime based off anything these days, like a basketball anime they will just grabbed anybody
  • BigBroBigBro Regular
    edited August 2010
    I still prefer subs though. Dubs somehow makes the anime lose some of it's merits
    You've piqued my interest here, bro. How so?
    In some cases, I'd argue that it'd gain merit, for example, in baccano.
    Now, I've only ever seen it subbed, so bear with me.
    It's pretty much a story set in america. Nearly all the characters have english names, and nearly all the voice actors have difficulty pronouncing them.
    So, wouldn't english voice acting be better in this case?
    The English dubs are plain and robotic. Absolutely no emotion whatsoever.
    Sounds like you're generalising, bro. I haven't ever heard emotionless dubbing (but to be honest, my experience is limited to pokemon, dbz and bleach [hooray childhood]).

I'm sure that if that's the case, there must be one really, really bad dub. Could you point it out? To me, it just sounds like you're generalising.
  • edited August 2010
    I've also tried to figure out why it is I hate dubs as apposed to subs. I finally chocked it up to which ever I hear first is the one I prefer. After watching bleach in japanese for so many years I hated the english voices, and likewise I refuse to watch DBZ in japanese.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
    BigBro wrote: »
    to be honest, my experience is limited to pokemon, dbz and bleach

Have you watched any of these shows with Japanese dubbing and English subbing? I'm guessing you haven't, because I was like you, too. I used to watch anime with English dubbing and I found no problem until I checked out the original Japanese versions with English subs.

If you have nothing to compare it with, of course you're going to think it's satisfactory.
  • D7D7 Regular
    edited August 2010
    You've piqued my interest here, bro. How so?
    In some cases, I'd argue that it'd gain merit, for example, in baccano.
    Now, I've only ever seen it subbed, so bear with me.
    It's pretty much a story set in america. Nearly all the characters have english names, and nearly all the voice actors have difficulty pronouncing them.
    So, wouldn't english voice acting be better in this case?

I don't know. It's like when you are watching a movie an you know the actors are acting. It just don't feel real. I know the original itself doesn't sound realistic compared to the real people but they are capable to make the character somehow alive.

I think the problems lies in the voice actor itself. Japanese voice actor are better when it comes to anime series.
  • AKIRAAKIRA Regular
    edited August 2010
    I think the problems lies in the voice actor itself. Japanese voice actor are better when it comes to anime series.

This all the way, Ghost In The Shell with subs is great, really great, but the dubbed version is just done so perfectly in my opinion, and they carried that over to number 2 and the Stand Alone Complex.
  • BitterConflictBitterConflict Regular
    edited August 2010
    Dub works with Animes such as DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, and Samurai Champloo. I tried watching Code Geass dubbed and it sucked.
  • BigBroBigBro Regular
    edited August 2010
    Have you watched any of these shows with Japanese dubbing and English subbing? I'm guessing you haven't, because I was like you, too. I used to watch anime with English dubbing and I found no problem until I checked out the original Japanese versions with English subs.

If you have nothing to compare it with, of course you're going to think it's satisfactory.

Well bro, I've seen Bleach subbed because I was interested in it, and Pokemon subbed for the lulz.
    I don't really have an opinion on Pokemon, apart from ASHES NEW VOICE ACTOR GODDAMN MY CHILDHOOD but I think that Bleach was done pretty well.
    Hence, the thread.

But dubs aren't really something you can consistently watch, bro, because they release them really slowly, bro.

Anyway, to conclude the thread, give some dubs a shot. They're not all bad, although there are cases. Watch them with an open mind.
  • AKIRAAKIRA Regular
    edited August 2010
    Well bro, I've seen Bleach subbed because I was interested in it, and Pokemon subbed for the lulz.
    I don't really have an opinion on Pokemon, apart from ASHES NEW VOICE ACTOR GODDAMN MY CHILDHOOD but I think that Bleach was done pretty well.
    Hence, the thread.

But dubs aren't really something you can consistently watch, bro, because they release them really slowly, bro.

Anyway, to conclude the thread, give some dubs a shot. They're not all bad, although there are cases. Watch them with an open mind.

Nice one, bro.
  • BigBroBigBro Regular
    edited August 2010
    AKIRA wrote: »
    Nice one, bro.

Cheers bro. Feel free to bro fist my avatar.
  • AKIRAAKIRA Regular
    edited August 2010
    Cheers bro. Feel free to bro fist my avatar.

16h9pft.jpg
  • busxbusx Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    90% of dubs suck, but some are very well done. Perfect example is cowboy bebop. The dub retains the emotion and accuracy of the original (i've watched the series in eng dub and jap w/eng sub). This is very rare imo, but when it is well done I prefer the dub because I can focus on the animation instead of reading the bottom of the screen.