In Ohio, Public Work Is a Road to the Middle Class

DfgDfg Admin
edited March 2011 in Spurious Generalities
GALLIPOLIS, Ohio — Jodi and Ralph Taylor are public workers whose jobs as a janitor and a sewer manager cover life’s basics. They have moved out of a trailer into a house, do not have to rely on food stamps and sometimes even splurge for the spicy wing specials at the Courtside Bar & Grill.

While that might not seem like much, jobs like theirs, with benefits and higher-than-minimum wages, are considered plum in this depressed corner of southern Ohio. Decades of industrial decline have eroded private sector jobs here, leaving a thin crust of low-paying service work that make public-sector jobs look great in comparison.

Now, as Ohio’s legislature moves toward final approval of a bill that would chip away at public sector union, those workers say they see it as the opening bell in a race to the bottom. At stake, they say, is what little they have that makes them middle class.

“These jobs let you put good food on the table and send your kids on school trips,” said Monty Blanton, a retired electrician and union worker. “The gap between low and middle is collapsing.”

Gallipolis (pronounced Gal-IP-po-LEES) is a faded town on the Ohio River, one whose fortunes fell with the decline in industries like steel in bigger cities along the river. That erased a swath of middle-income jobs in the area, said Bob Walton, who, as a commissioner for the Southern Ohio Port Authority, an economic development agency, has tracked the economic history of the area for decades.

“It’s a real big change,” he said. “It has changed the complexion of our community.”

Today storefronts are mostly dark. About one in three people live in poverty. Billboards advertise oxygen tanks and motorized wheelchairs. Old photographs in a local diner look like an exhibit from a town obituary. The region has some of the highest rates of prescription drug abuse in the state, with more people dying from overdoses than car crashes, according to Ed Hughes, executive director of The Counseling Center in Portsmouth, about 55 miles west of here.

David Beaver, 65, a barber here, said that when he got out of high school, “you could go anywhere you wanted to and pick your job.”

“Now, it’s depressing,” he said. “I hear the boys talking. They can’t find anything.”

It is not that there are no jobs, but rather that the jobs available pay too little and have no benefits, resulting in, as he put it, “just scraping by.” A private hospital and two power plants do offer good jobs, but they are highly competitive and many require some higher education, something that fewer than one in five people here have, according to 2009 census data.

So most people scrape by, like Ms. Taylor did before landing her state job in 1996. At the time, she was living in a trailer and working in low wage jobs at Wendy’s, Dairy Queen and a Big Lots discount store. Her hourly wage jumped to $9 when she started at the Gallipolis Developmental Center, a state home for mentally retarded people, up from $5.25 at a private nursing home.

“If I wasn’t working at the G.D.C., I’d have to work around the clock,” said Chris Smith, Ms. Taylor’s colleague, referring to the center, where she has worked for 20 years. “I’d have to work two or three jobs to keep at this level.”

The Taylors are not college educated, but their public sector jobs have made them middle class. Together they earn about $63,000 a year, a sum that puts them squarely at the middle point of earnings for American families, and higher than the $50,000 earned by the typical Gallipolis family.

Money is still tight. When their washing machine broke in November, they had to put the new one on a credit card. They could not afford college for either of their sons. One is in the Marines, and the other, a high school senior, just enlisted.

“We’re not living in any rich, high-income way,” said Ms. Taylor, 37, who, together with her husband, protested the public sector bill in Columbus this month. “What are they wanting?” she said of the bill. “For everyone to be making minimum wage?”

Wages at the bottom of the labor market have stagnated since 1970, with inflation gobbling up gains made over the years. The federal minimum wage buys you a lot less today; it represented just 38 percent of the average hourly wage for private, nonsupervisory workers in 2010, down from 47 percent in 1970, according to the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics.

“The wage story is incredibly bleak for everyone from the middle on down,” said Jacob S. Hacker, a political science professor at Yale University and co-author of “Winner-Take-All Politics: How Washington Made the Rich Richer — And Turned Its Back on the Middle Class” (Simon & Shuster, 2010). “We’ve gotten dramatically richer as a society, but if you’re a wage earner below the median you’ve seen your wages stagnate or shrink.”

Retirement is less secure for private workers. Jeanie Norton, 49, ended up earning less than minimum wage when her job as an airlines reservation agent was eliminated in 2008. At the time, she and her husband, a carpenter who is now unemployed, were building their dream house. She lost her health insurance and had to break into her 401K to keep them afloat. Now she drives an hour each way to waitress in Gallipolis.

“I thought I had it all figured out, but now I’m just making it,” Ms. Norton said. “I’m going on faith in God.”

via

Comments

• LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm theorizing that the higher level careers would get less pay due to many people pursuing it. Society taught us to get a degree and get a good job. This could possibly leave open opportunities where there isn't many people willing to do dirty work.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited March 2011
    Lethargica wrote: »
    I'm theorizing that the higher level careers would get less pay due to many people pursuing it. Society taught us to get a degree and get a good job. This could possibly leave open opportunities where there isn't many people willing to do dirty work.

It is Ironic that the liberal, middle class ideal for 'education for all' transformed to mean 'for absolutly everyone, even if you are thick as fuck and wont make it we will spunk loads of money on it because we want to be fair'

Libtards. This did not work. Some are born to weave baskets, some are born to weave the deals of industry, and there are a shit load of people inbetwen.

Ironic in the fact, that due to this attitude, nay; this false held belief, that all were equal in matters of the mind, the meaning of education and the education system has been destroyed.

No longer is it a tool to open the mind of the worthy few - those that are willing to recognise education is an investment and they should make the most of it, and the truly gifted.

It is open to almost all. Once, university courses populated by minds that wanted to grow, but then they had to become some thing that young people could be kept entertained with for three or four years where they tried to learn how to be grown up (they had not learned that bit yet) and sucked at that.

They also sucked at expanding their mind and ended up working jobs they are over qualified for, but still struggle with.

It was better in the olden days, it sucks now, get over it.

When graduates are as representative in the unskilled labout market as in these times, that level of education means shit all unless you achieved it before a certain time. It is not to be wasted after this time working in McD's or some shit, unless you want to be mediocre.
  • SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    I lived in Southern Ohio for 17 years. the place went to hell. very similar to Detroit. My dad lost his job and we had to move to the second shittiest state in America, Pennsylvania (The first being Maryland)

and What public work? I-75 has been "under construction" since 1975 and the only thing they've done is paint new lines.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited March 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    It is Ironic that the liberal, middle class ideal for 'education for all' transformed to mean 'for absolutly everyone, even if you are thick as fuck and wont make it we will spunk loads of money on it because we want to be fair'

Libtards. This did not work. Some are born to weave baskets, some are born to weave the deals of industry, and there are a shit load of people inbetwen.

Ironic in the fact, that due to this attitude, nay; this false held belief, that all were equal in matters of the mind, the meaning of education and the education system has been destroyed.

No longer is it a tool to open the mind of the worthy few - those that are willing to recognise education is an investment and they should make the most of it, and the truly gifted.

It is open to almost all. Once, university courses populated by minds that wanted to grow, but then they had to become some thing that young people could be kept entertained with for three or four years where they tried to learn how to be grown up (they had not learned that bit yet) and sucked at that.

They also sucked at expanding their mind and ended up working jobs they are over qualified for, but still struggle with.

It was better in the olden days, it sucks now, get over it.

When graduates are as representative in the unskilled labout market as in these times, that level of education means shit all unless you achieved it before a certain time. It is not to be wasted after this time working in McD's or some shit, unless you want to be mediocre.

Thank you for expanding on such mediocre post. I agree on all aspects of what you said. We were told in kindergarten to have a dream job and career, we took tests on what careers we fell into based on personalities. This will never be idealistic. Age 25, will be the sadest day of my life, because that is going to be the day my friends die: They will jump into the bottom of the foodchain, fighting for the table scraps of the powerful CEOS.