[SOLVED] This stupid puter sometimes switches off and won't work standing up

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited March 2011 in Tech & Games
Well! Not my computer but a friends.
I've fixed a shitload of puters & never seen anything quite like this.
It's a desktop: If I stand it, it'll power up but won't load on the screen. Lie the fucking thing on it's side and it works fine.
Sometimes it'll switch off if bumped.
cpu isn't overheating, checked for loose wires between the power switch and motherboard but nothing wrong there.
The only thing I can think of is a loose connection somewhere in the psu.

Watcha Reckon? :confused:

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    The loose connection in the PSU sounds likely based on what you have described. You should be able to take the top of off the PSU case to get a look inside. Be careful as there are some capacitors in there that can store a nasty wallop. Look for loose solder connection on a wire or possibly.

Also have you checked to see if any of the case wires to the MB are loose?
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited March 2011
    The loose connection in the PSU sounds likely based on what you have described. You should be able to take the top of off the PSU case to get a look inside. Be careful as there are some capacitors in there that can store a nasty wallop. Look for loose solder connection on a wire or possibly.

Also have you checked to see if any of the case wires to the MB are loose?
    Thanks for the quick response TDR bro. :)
    I know capacitors extremely well. I've been hit by one out of a water pump on a rural property. I use to repair water pumps & the capacitors are bigger & badder than your standard computer ones. Therefore your warning has been heeded . :(
    Checked for loose wires, pulled and reinstalled. Nothing there.
    The thing that's got me confused is the computer will power up standing but no monitor action. Lying on it's side it will work. :confused:
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    What about the wires going from the case to the Main Board, on both ends? Have you checked them?
    edited March 2011
    From the case? If you mean the on/off power feed from the front to the MB I checked and triple checked it. :( If you mean the neg ground to the case, it's incorporated from the MB mounting screws to the case. :(
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited March 2011
    Try replacing the VGA cable. If it boots but has no screen unless you put it on it's side, it might be a bad contact in the cable which is wrung in the right position to make contact when you put thye PC on it's side.
  • IndulgenceIndulgence Regular
    edited March 2011
    bornkiller wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick response TDR bro. :)
    I know capacitors extremely well. I've been hit by one out of a water pump on a rural property. I use to repair water pumps & the capacitors are bigger & badder than your standard computer ones. Therefore your warning has been heeded . :(
    Checked for loose wires, pulled and reinstalled. Nothing there.
    The thing that's got me confused is the computer will power up standing but no monitor action. Lying on it's side it will work. :confused:

Capacitors are fucking scary.

I'd second replacing the VGA cable. They can be pretty finicky if one of the wires starts going bad.
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for your suggestions totse.
    The issue was the PSU. I replaced it and it's all good.
    The dude just bought the thing (second hand) and I noticed the warranty seal on the PSU was broken. Obviously the previous owner was having issues with it before he sold it :angry:. I have a fucking shitload of computers (parts) so I salvaged a PSU out of one of them. All Sweet! :)
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
    I thought it sounded like it would have been a faulty psu, as it sounded more like an electrical issue than anything else
    edited March 2011
    I was fixing it as a favour. He just picked it up and dropped me off 2 boxes of Steinys and a 12pk of cody 8s......WOOHOO! tonight I drink like a boss! :cool:
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
    bornkiller wrote: »
    I was fixing it as a favour. He just picked it up and dropped me off 2 boxes of Steinys and a 12pk of cody 8s......WOOHOO! tonight I drink like a boss! :cool:

Fuck that's not bad :D
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    Sorry for the late reply. I see you already fixed the problem. Here is what I would do:
    Check:
    Connectors.
    Cards.
    Cables.
    Overheating issue.
    and if nothing is making sense, change the PSU.

Normally the PSU is the culprit in most cases since it's harder to trace. No windows logs and no error messages from BIOS.
    edited March 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply. I see you already fixed the problem. Here is what I would do:
    Check:
    Connectors.
    Cards.
    Cables.
    Overheating issue.
    and if nothing is making sense, change the PSU.

Normally the PSU is the culprit in most cases since it's harder to trace. No windows logs and no error messages from BIOS.
    Thanks for the input anyways bro. :)