I was given a 'Crayfish' today

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited April 2011 in Life
For loading an OS onto someones lappy.

crayfish-lge.jpg

What's a Crayfish? Kinda like a Lobster but much uglier and fucking delicious.
Got any Recipes? Even Lobster Recipes would work.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    Chink style:

1. Steam whole
    2. Dip into a sauce made by boiling soy sauce with green onions and ginger
    3. Enjoy :hai:
  • ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited April 2011
    ew, they creep me out and I don't find them tasty at all.

Im going to have nightmares about that thing...

Here is a craw fish attacking my chicken
    DSC01223.jpg?t=1301670762

DSC01224-1.jpg?t=1301671117
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    ducklips wrote: »
    ew, they creep me out and I don't find them tasty at all.

Im going to have nightmares about that thing...

Here is a craw fish attacking my chicken
    DSC01223.jpg?t=1301670762

DSC01224-1.jpg?t=1301671117

Wow dude, you still have those pictures?

I am the crawfish puppet master.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited April 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    Wow dude, you still have those pictures?

I am the crawfish puppet master.
    Are crawfish a freshwater thing? bro. :confused:
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, they are everywhere in the lakes up here.

And the creeks here in Illinois, all the way down to Louisiana. Best crawfish I've ever had was in Louisiana, but that's not so hard to believe.
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, they are everywhere in the lakes up here.
    We have fresh water crayfish or 'Koura' They look similar, about the same size. I prefer them to the ocean variety. :thumbsup:
  • edited April 2011
    Wait, so is it Crawfish or Crayfish? :confused:
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    crawfish crayfish crawdads, Just depends on where you are from.

And they are in streams and lakes all over th US
    edited April 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    crawfish crayfish crawdads, Just depends on where you are from.

And they are in streams and lakes all over th US
    Another reason to go there. :(
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited April 2011
    It's crawdad where I'm from, I like using them to fish, lol.
  • edited April 2011
    Jesus christ, the one the guy is holding in that picture is huge, when the OP mentioned 'a' crayfish I was a little confused. I have no experience with crayfish whatsoever, but Mayberry's method sounds good. I hear they are good boiled in salted water with some spices, a mix of pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, dry mustard, thyme and onion powder should do the trick, a couple of cloves of garlic wouldn't hurt either.

C/O
    "big ass bug"
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited April 2011
    thats a decent payment, and cajun recipes are the best for sure. here i've heard every name for a crawfish.
    edited April 2011
    Jesus christ, the one the guy is holding in that picture is huge, when the OP mentioned 'a' crayfish I was a little confused. I have no experience with crayfish whatsoever,
    C/O
    "big ass bug"
    That one must be about 20lb+ It's a packhorse cray. When they get to that size, a gang of smaller crays hang out with it, just rootin, eating and chillin. Unfortunately if the dude took that from the others, it breaks the group up & they don't breed in that spot again.
    When we dive for them, we leave that size behind so it keeps the colony there.
    It's quite cool, because when you approach the rock they're in, the big cray normally pushes out the smaller ones to save it's own ass.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited April 2011
    Lol darwin survival of the fittest at work ^
  • drewfleadrewflea Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    boiled + dipped in butter... mmmmmMMmmmm
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited April 2011
    Crawfish Boil

4 tablespoons crushed yellow mustard seed
    3 tablespoons crushed coriander seed
    2 tablespoons crushed whole allspice
    2 tablespoons crushed dill seed
    1 tablespoon crushed whole cloves
    1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
    8 bay leaves
    1/2 tablespoon (1-1/2 teaspoons) cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 gallon water
    3 pounds crawfish – pre-purged
    1/2 pound sausage – (cut into 1-2 inch slices)
    1/2 pound corn-on-the-cob, cut into 2-inch sections
    1/2 pound new red potatoes
    1 or 2 lemons, cut in half
    Place water in large 4- to 5-gallon boiling pot. Add all spices, juice from the lemons, the squeezed lemons and bring to a rolling boil. Add potatoes, sausage and corn to the pot first and boil for 10 minutes. Next, add the crawfish and boil for about 3-4 minutes. Drain off water and pour the food onto a table covered with butcher paper or newspaper. Serves 4 to 6.
    Crawfish Etouffée

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
    1-1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
    1 cup finely chopped celery
    1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
    1 pound peeled crawfish tails
    2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
    2 whole bay leaves
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 tablespoon flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
    6 to 8 cups cooked white rice
    Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, celery and bell peppers, and sauté for 10 to 12 minutes. Add crawfish tails, garlic and bay leaves, cooking for an additional 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    In a separate pan, heat the chicken broth and add the flour, stirring well. Then add the crawfish mixture. Sprinkle in salt and cayenne pepper and stir until thickened, about 3 or 4 minutes. Serve over cooked rice and top with chopped green onions. Serves 4.
    http://www.texascooking.com/features/april2010-boil-crawdads-crawfish.htm

fucking prime
    edited April 2011
    ^ That sounds pretty tasty brah. There was a bit more work than expected on the puter I was working on so the owners gonna hook me up with more seafood. :thumbsup:

Update:
    I tried Mayberrys version (it was easier...:o) Nice dipping into the sauce on the 1st day, 2nd day I ended up cutting the other half of the tail into small chunks and putting in with diced potatoes (cold), spring onion, chive, parsley, best mayo, small clove of garlic, little lemon jews, salt and cracked pepper. That shit was awesome.

Please don't stop the recipes though. This dude is paying me in crays and seafood to do all his puter work. :hai:
  • edited April 2011
    We say Crayfish or Crawfish up here in Canada.... all ours are pretty small though; more like an avg size scorpion size than lobster size, really.

EDIT: most of my experience with em comes from Ontario.... It could be different elsewhere.
  • edited April 2011
    When I showed the photo to my roomate, he went all haywire and told me I was an idiot for thinking it was real, fuckin guy thinks anything interesting on the net is fake. When I looked up "packhorse crayfish" and showed him the photos he got all mumbly and said "Yeah, but I still think it's bullshit", fucking twat. I once found what looked like a small lobster claw shell in a creek while we were panning for gold, I told the story many times, but no-one believed that there were Crayfish in western Canada.

BK; that crayfish potato salad sounds awesome, and I'm glad someone actually used cooking advice they got from this forum.

I have since found out that there are crayfish around here, and looked up some how-to's on traps and the best places to put them. Even if I only get a few, I will be totally stoked. Probably need a licence, but it would be un-totsean for me to get one.

C/O
    "make me another hit of absinthe, and ladle me up some crawfish etouffée, I am feeling indulgent today"
  • edited April 2011
    idk if you'd need a licence.... I'ce never heard about em here in Ontario... of course the river I live close to is highly pollutified so I guess there's a reason.