Build your own wind turbine.

buddhabuddha Regular
edited April 2011 in Life
I've seen this article used to build one before, and it actually turned out pretty decent.

http://www.mdpub.com/Wind_Turbine/

This is part of a whole set of articles I will be posting.

Comments

• bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited April 2011
    That's quite informative. :)
    A friend of mine runs alternative power to his property. Water and solar, not wind though but still interesting. :thumbsup:
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    The whole construction looked idiot proof until I hit the schematic.
    edited April 2011
    Box wrote: »
    The whole construction looked idiot proof until I hit the schematic.
    I take it you didn't like the voltage brah. :D
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited April 2011
    Put this on the cms!
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited April 2011
    Cool idea. and we need Katzenklavier to do this project due to the high voltage etc.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited April 2011
    That is actually a pretty simple circuit. It takes the 8 volts from the LM7808 and compares it to the voltage on the batteries. When the voltage on the batteries reaches a certain point (that point determined by the two potentiometers) it kills the power to them via the relay. That circuit is overcomplicated though, all one needs is a schmitt trigger.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    I might build one, I have had an old washing machine motor sitting around here for the past 3 years that is wired for 3 phase ac and generates around 48 v when spun by hand, I got the output up to 300v when I used a drill to spin it when I tested it after removing it from the washer. According to what i have read about the particular model of motor is that they can produce around 1kW of power, i just need a way of bringing the voltage down low enough to charge a couple of 12 v batteries.
    edited April 2011
    In order to avoid huge losses I'd say you'll have to design a buck converter for the task.
    edited April 2011
    I might build one, I have had an old washing machine motor sitting around here for the past 3 years that is wired for 3 phase ac and generates around 48 v when spun by hand, I got the output up to 300v when I used a drill to spin it when I tested it after removing it from the washer. According to what i have read about the particular model of motor is that they can produce around 1kW of power, i just need a way of bringing the voltage down low enough to charge a couple of 12 v batteries.
    The mate that has alt power uses these near the river at the back of his property. They apparently work well. :thumbsup:
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    In order to avoid huge losses I'd say you'll have to design a buck converter for the task.

I was thinking i would. For some reason i was thinking along the lines of using a transformer but that would just end up wasting energy
    bornkiller wrote: »
    The mate that has alt power uses these near the river at the back of his property. They apparently work well. :thumbsup:

They will give a decent belting if you happen to be holding on to the output while you give it a spin, or make a CFL flicker on

EDIT:
    SAM_0389.jpg

SAM_0393.jpg
    edited April 2011
    They will give a decent belting if you happen to be holding on to the output while you give it a spin, or make a CFL flicker on
    He had six of them, not sure how many he has now? Water wheels were f-glass coated ply. He said they have enough punch in them to do the job. :thumbsup:
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited April 2011
    This is a great article. However I can't just add content that belongs to another site.

Moved back to Green Planet.
    edited April 2011
    This is a great article. However I can't just add content that belongs to another site.

Moved back to Green Planet.
    Could the text content be reworded to make them original? Just curious. :)
    edited April 2011
    That's a fancy motor daktologist. BTW, fairchild gives out free silicon again...
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    And they weren't meant to be "guides" they are pieces to a larger guide I am writing. They just need to be there for me to link to later. ;)

Guide prefix removed.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited April 2011
    Why does the content have to be original? If the information is important and well-written, give the author credit, and post it.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    It doesn't have to be original, but one link does not warrant a guide prefix. At least make the effort to transfer some of the content over to the original post. If you wish to discuss this further, make a thread in H&S.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh yeah I definitely agree with the guide needing to be typed out at least sorry for the confusion. I see how my original post could have been a cause of confusion.
  • OsirisOsiris Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    Anyone know where to get cheap magnets? I found some Sumerian cobalt magnets, and it looks like you can get twice as much surface area for the same price as half of the neodymium ones. Would it be better to have more surface area or just to have a stronger magnet? Is coating the coils in resin for insulation or just so it will rotate smoother? I don't understand why the electrons would be leaving copper wire and intense magnetic fields just to float around in the atmosphere.

Also, in some of these designs, they have two rotors with magnets and the coils inbetween, like a big sandwich. Is it necessary to have both of the magnet boards in rotation? What would happen if you the back one sit still and only had the front one rotate?
  • edited April 2011
    Osiris wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get cheap magnets? I found some Sumerian cobalt magnets, and it looks like you can get twice as much surface area for the same price as half of the neodymium ones.

Sumerian magnets are good, but despite their similarity I think Akkadian magnets are marginally superior.