Stealing from a library

BoxBox Regular
edited April 2011 in Man Cave
As far as I'm concerned, all that needs to be done is rip off the book cover containing the barcode/w.e you call it. After some research it seems that many people have done the same yet the security gates have picked it up and beeped.

Do libraries enclose some sort of hidden barcodes in books? If so, were would they be located?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    They have magnetic tags of sorts. Notice how when you check books out, they swipe them against this electronic machine thing to demagnetize it. I'd guess it'd be in the spine somewhere.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    When I was in Rapid City, I used to steal a lot of books, they had the self checkout things, so all you had to do was check out one book and keep the book you want to steal under it, so it scanned the barcode on top and de-activated both alarms = free book.

Usually the tag is a flat sticker, check under the catalog number sticker, that's where I've usually found it. If you start peeling the sticker off, and it looks like tin foil under it, that's the right one.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited April 2011
    Would a magic bag work?
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for replies.

Now that I remember, they used to do that *swipe after the stamping. This was 5 or 6 years ago and they've revamped the whole system. You simply put them on a metallic plate faced down (barcode down), put in your card, pin and leave.

The books have to be faced down so I'm assuming that they've relocated the magnet to the back of the book? :confused:
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited April 2011
    Would a magic bag work?

They rarely, if ever, work.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Quite a few have magnetic strips. Look in the spine, flick through the pages and look for any possible RFID stickers.
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited April 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Quite a few have magnetic strips. Look in the spine, flick through the pages and look for any possible RFID stickers.

QFT.

Although....libraries will often clean house, and they sell their books for cheaper than some fries to eat; I once got fifty books--alot of them very good--for 2 bucks at, how would you say?...a library yard-sale.

But yeah, the tags are usually in the spine, or in the front or back.

:fap:
  • GrinchGrinch Regular
    edited April 2011
    I am not usually one to argue morals, although I have never seen the logic in stealing from a library.

I look at a library as a form of open-source of knowledge to the public, one of the few remaining, despite the fact that many are failing.

Although I will not deny making the exception on multiple occasions, my way of thinking when it comes to relieving material from its owner, leans primarily toward corporations and farther from mom-and-pop shops and the individual.

I have a collection almost filling two bookcases, the majority bearing no accounting receipt, three of which come off the shelves from libraries.

I suppose my previous justifications for said actions is that "who is to justify a pricetag on knowledge" :rolleyes: as well books are rather overpriced in stores.

I am not making a case attempting to convince you not to come into the possession of books, I am more asking why not change your source to that of a bookstore? You will receive a product in its newest condition, and I feel not depriving any who are primarily interesting in the intellectual properties contained within the book as compared to its monetary value.

I suppose that one could argue that there is more security at an established bookstore, although if you have any sense of guile, rather a heedless sense of confidence, speaking from practice, it is just as easy to walk out of a bookstore with an armful of material.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Grinch wrote: »
    I am not usually one to argue morals, although I have never seen the logic in stealing from a library.

[bs blah blah]

It's the closest library that offers those books. Barnes and Nobles is a mile away and they don't even have them.