The Experiment

BoxBox Regular
edited April 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Brilliant movie.

Participants enter a prison-like environment. They are divided into guards and prisoners. But when the authority gets out of hand, it's the prisoners that set order and deliver justice.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0997152/

Anyone else watched it?

Comments

• BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited April 2011
    :eek:

Holy shit i have never herd of this film until today.

Looks real good. have to check it out.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited April 2011
    I heard of it. I was going to watch it, but I never got a chance to. Adrien Brody gives me a man-boner.
  • GotTwoThumbsGotTwoThumbs Regular
    edited April 2011
    everyone watch it i am on the half hour mark and so far kicks ass. its on netflix also

edit: just finished it. good fuckin movie. im surprised with the big names in it and the actually decent flick that it didnt get more publicity. guess society just likes shitty movie nowadays
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    everyone watch it i am on the half hour mark and so far kicks ass. its on netflix also

edit: just finished it. good fuckin movie. im surprised with the big names in it and the actually decent flick that it didnt get more publicity. guess society just likes shitty movie nowadays

This bro.

I watched it on Netflix too, it was a nice break from the usual good cop/fed role that Forest Whitaker usually plays.

Everyone should watch this movie! It's great, although the ending did feel a bit rushed.
  • MrFriendlyFaceMrFriendlyFace Regular
    edited April 2011
    Sounds like a pretty awesome concept and I've been looking for an interesting movie to watch. Also, this movie sounds like it's based on the Stanford Prison Experiment. An essential read for anybody who likes the concept of this movie and certainly for any interested in psychology. The experiment had people roleplay as prisoners and guards, and before long all of them were completely in to their roles. The prisoners could have quit at any time, but felt powerless to do so, instead trying to gain parole, and plotting to escape, while some of the guards became abusive towards the prisoners.
  • blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited April 2011
    just saw the movie and damn :thumbsup: didnt expect things would turn out that way.
    edited April 2011
    I watched it earlier. It got pretty intense. THE NIGGER PEED ON HIM! I thought it was kind of predictable though, but most movies released nowadays are. For example, I knew the moment Travis and the nigger met that the nigger would be a guard and abuse his power on Travis, despite them being friendly with eachother. I also had a gut feeling comic book boy would try to step up and get his ass whooped. There were a lot of other exampled where I predicted what was going to happen as well. Still a good movie though.

Also, apparently this movie is a remake of Das Experiment, which is supposedly better. I'm gonna watch it and get back to guys.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    I watched it earlier. It got pretty intense. THE NIGGER PEED ON HIM! I thought it was kind of predictable though, but most movies released nowadays are. For example, I knew the moment Travis and the nigger met that the nigger would be a guard and abuse his power on Travis, despite them being friendly with eachother. I also had a gut feeling comic book boy would try to step up and get his ass whooped. There were a lot of other exampled where I predicted what was going to happen as well. Still a good movie though.

Also, apparently this movie is a remake of Das Experiment, which is supposedly better. I'm gonna watch it and get back to guys.

I got some time. ~Downloading.
    edited April 2011
    Box wrote: »
    I got some time. ~Downloading.

I'm streaming it now on megavideo. It's apparently in German with English subtitles which is a little annoying but I'll get over it if it's as good as the reviews on imdb say it is.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    I couldn't find any copy in English so I'm downloading some BR-rip copy with eng. subs too.
    edited April 2011
    Box wrote: »
    I couldn't find any copy in English so I'm downloading some BR-rip copy with eng. subs too.

I think it's just in German.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Guys, look up the Stanford Prison Experiment like what MrFriendlyFace said. It is the same as the film but it actually happened in real life where a group of ordinary civilians were locked up, and another group were the jailers (voluntarily). It spiraled out of control and they had to end it prematurely. Its really interesting :)
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Ok so I just finished watching "Das Experiment" and it was meh.

The action began at the end of the movie, 30 mins before the credits. The protagonist "77" came off as a wise ass and wasn't rebelling against authority for the people; he had that "I do what I want bitch" attitude. The movie was OK, and the music was just plain :facepalm:. Won't recommend it to anyone, The Experiment is a much better remake.
    edited April 2011
    I just finished watching Das Experiment and I have to disagree completely. Now that I have seen the original, it feels like in the remake they basically just cut and pasted the epic bits, threw out some of the storyline and tried to make up for it with more action, when in the end the elements that truly make a movie quality for me is the creativity and quality of the story writing involved.

At first I was skeptical about whether or not I would truly be able to enjoy Das Experiment because it was not in English, but after a while I got completely sucked in to the movie. One thing that sets it apart from the remake is that it feels a lot more believable. In the remake I found it doubtful that the experimenters would let the experiment go on after comic book guy got cracked in the skull, killing him. In Das Experiment, a clear explanation is provided. The guards had abducted the experimenters who were remaining in the building and put them in as prisoners.

There was a number of little things that also made the original stand out for me. When number 77 escapes from the black box, he is clearly disoriented as shown by the camera shaking as you would expect after being in the environment he is in. This is not the case for Travis in the remake. I found all the little ideas such as this one to be really neat.

I actually do really like The Experiment because it really does have great acting, but in the end I feel as if the potential it had to surpass the original was wasted.

If you guys don't mind having to read subtitles, I recommend Das Experiment. If you have the time though, check them both out and decide for yourself. Maybe the remake will be more to your taste.

The verdict:
    Das Experiment: 4/5 (4.5 if it weren't for having to read subtitles. Pity pity.)
    The Experiment: 3/5 (Lack of creativity involved with the main focus on action like many of these new movies nowadays hurts it.)
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    I feel that the remake made a much better emphasis on that, even in the worst of conditions, a leader always emerges.

There was no sense of leadership in Das Experiment. Rather than unite the prisoners, [judging from the dirty looks resulting from the push-ups] you can sense their hostility to 77. The Experiment also highlighted the progressive change from the bible-reading-well-dressed Whitaker, to a delusional maniac. In Das Experiment, the prison guard looks like a jerk from the beginning and it's not too hard to foreshadow the role he'll take.

It really shows the transformation a human can make in merely 2 weeks with a position of power.

The scenes of 77's partner are also unnecessarily elongated. I don't need to see her undressed and lay down. I don't need close-ups of her awkward horse-shaped face. Her being unattractive didn't help a bit.

Also, did she really just HAND IN her cell phone in response to a "Do you have a cell phone? Mine's low on battery~?" FFS.
    edited April 2011
    There was no sense of leadership in Das Experiment. Rather than unite the prisoners, [judging from the dirty looks resulting from the push-ups] you can sense their hostility to 77. The Experiment also highlighted the progressive change from the bible-reading-well-dressed Whitaker, to a delusional maniac. In Das Experiment, the prison guard looks like a jerk from the beginning and it's not too hard to foreshadow the role he'll take.

I felt that Travis' emergence as a leader in The Experiment was unrealistic. In a real prison environment the guards will do whatever they can to turn the prisoners against eachother, as was done in both Das Experiment and in the real Stanford Prison Experiment. In a real prison we always see inmates turning the violence towards eachother a lot more than towards the guards because they're just so divided.

You're right about the guard, I knew exactly what role the prison guard would take when I saw him...but then again in the remake I could do the same thing.
    It really shows the transformation a human can make in merely 2 weeks with a position of power.

Not even two weeks. It happened in a matter of days, it's pretty insane. We can't ever really trust somebody in a position of power over us, both movies and the experiment show this.
    The scenes of 77's partner are also unnecessarily elongated. I don't need to see her undressed and lay down. I don't need close-ups of her awkward horse-shaped face. Her being unattractive didn't help a bit.
    Hey I thought she was hot. :o
    Also, did she really just HAND IN her cell phone in response to a "Do you have a cell phone? Mine's low on battery~?" FFS.
    lawl, good point, I was like WTF when that happened too. I'd tell him to fuck off.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    ight you cool bro. :cool:
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited April 2011
    i bought it from a chinaman in the pub, its alright
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited April 2011
    "all i do is Smoke pot, Eat twat, and Smile a lot"

Its a great fucking movie. Just finished it a while ago.

I loled when they pissed all over 77
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Remake or original?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Was gonna say, it's based on an IRL experiment. Downloading though :)