Having pains in my knee when dropping during Night Ops

edited April 2011 in Life
My left knee is totally fine when making drops from any height, but my right knee is fucking screwing me up every time. If I drop from even a little height and land, I make sure to bend my legs to absorb the impact and to make it a silent landing. However, I get a pain in my knee whenever I land no matter how much I bend my legs.

Is there any way I can strengthen my knee or at least do something to stop it from hurting when I land?

Comments

• thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited April 2011
    Does your knee have a prior injury?
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Do you know how to land?

Many flat-footed people land with their heel which heavily affects shock-absorption. When I was a kid, I used to practice free-running and would experience severe pain on my feet and knee, being flat footed. After wearing special soles, the arch eventually formed and the pain gradually went away.

Land with your with toes and try jumping with a single foot for warm-ups. If anything, you oughta see medical attention. Your ACL might even be torn. :eek: My friend is a hardcore bmx faggot and he had both his acl and pcl torn for 2 fucking days and didn't feel a thing.
  • edited April 2011
    Does your knee have a prior injury?

Nothing serious I don't think. I used to play sport and skateboard a lot though, so it's possible that I've given it a good smacking in the past. I remember falling off my board once and hitting my knee on the ground super hard, but I'm not sure which one it was. I couldn't walk on it for a good while.
    Do you know how to land?

Yeah I know how to land, been doing Night Ops for a good few years now so I've got all that shit as second nature to me now. I don't think my knee used to hurt when doing this, or even when I used to do Parkour.
  • edited April 2011
    Might it also be a good note that I wasn't wearing shoes? I prefer it as it makes walking literally silent. I understand that this puts additional strain on leg muscles though.
  • edited April 2011
    IMO, you should probably rest for a while, so your knee has some time to heal. How bad is the pain, 1-10 (10 being hit by a bus)? Is there a specific point where it hurts the most, and is there any swelling?

It's only a 4 on the pain scale. It's painful, but it's mostly uncomfortable. I don't know if it needs resting, as I only just got back into ops like... Last week so it's been rested for a long time now. I'm thinking it might be a slight shock for my knee as it hasn't really been strained that much until recently.

Maybe I need to strengthen it a little bit?

What would be the best way to strengthen a knee? xD
  • edited April 2011
    Hm. Again, just my opinion. Since you've been resting it for quite a long time maybe it could be the amount of activity? Have you been building the amount of activity gradually so your knee has some time adjust or have you (for lack of a better word)flung into it?
    Obviously, seek medical attention, but my advice would to tone down the ops a little bit, and build up gradually... Oh! Do you stretch?

I have just flung straight back into it, yeah. It's possible that my knee isn't quite ready to be put under so much stress so suddenly :D I think I'll start doing some exercises to strengthen my knees, as well as some upper body stuff while I'm at it.

I don't stretch normally but if I've been working out then yeah, I stretch before and after. Thanks for the help! :D
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited April 2011
    DementedCupcake PM me for me helping you have pain in your knees :o:o:o
  • edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I have just flung straight back into it, yeah. It's possible that my knee isn't quite ready to be put under so much stress so suddenly :D I think I'll start doing some exercises to strengthen my knees, as well as some upper body stuff while I'm at it.

I don't stretch normally but if I've been working out then yeah, I stretch before and after. Thanks for the help! :D

This may help, but it sounds like you may be developing arthritis... it should be more clear if stretching and shit doesn't help.
  • AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
    edited April 2011
    Where on your knee does it hurt? Lateral? Medial? Anterior? Posterior? Are they sharp pains or just a throbbing?

You could have messed up a ligament or pulled a muscle. Make sure you are icing your knee and getting rest. If the pain keeps occurring you might want to go see a good orthopedic surgeon, and demand that you get an MRI before they just tell you to stfu and take some ibuprofen and stop being a pussy.

You should work on strengthening the supporting muscles of the knee, that is what helps the most with stability. Believe it or not you should also work on core strength and the stability muscles around your hips. Focus on your Quadriceps and Hamstring muscles, while also working on your abductors and adductor muscles within your hips. Work on various plank exercises for your core for stability.
  • edited April 2011
    I just woke up this morning and it hurt walking down the stairs, so it must have been something I did to it last night :facepalm: It's only when it's bent that it hurts, and that's only when there's weight on it. For example, I'm sitting down now and bending it doesn't hurt, but when I stand up and crouch, it hurts.

The pain is at the front of the knee, and it feels as though somethings clamping around my knee. It's hard to explain, but it's more of a sharp pain than a throbbing. Think it could be ligament damage?
  • AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I just woke up this morning and it hurt walking down the stairs, so it must have been something I did to it last night :facepalm: It's only when it's bent that it hurts, and that's only when there's weight on it. For example, I'm sitting down now and bending it doesn't hurt, but when I stand up and crouch, it hurts.

The pain is at the front of the knee, and it feels as though somethings clamping around my knee. It's hard to explain, but it's more of a sharp pain than a throbbing. Think it could be ligament damage?

Sounds like you might have just a bone bruise, but you really can't say unless you go see a doctor and get an MRI or x-rays done. It also could be a tear or a problem with one of your menisci, but you can't diagnose most knee problems without that MRI. Keep icing it it and resting and give it a week, if it doesn't get any better and keeps impeding on you go see someone. Knees are something you want to fuck around with and cause more damage.