How long does a portable HDD last for?

edited May 2011 in Tech & Games
I'd assume that they'll last for a LOT longer than any computer hard disk, right? Seeing as they're not on all the time, they don't have to be accessed as much, etc. Or am I missing something here?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Depends on the usage. I am using WD 160 Passport and it has lasted quite few years. Although I did use it a lot. Portable HDD are basically the same as the Laptop HDD's. The problem occurs only they start up an down randomly. However, I didn't read any reviews on their life. So, in my view they used outlast desktop HDD's only because they're used less and only for storage.

But it's better to keep upgrade every few years to a more better and stable techonology.
  • edited April 2011
    Alright, thanks for the reply. Does HDD size effect reliability? I remember hearing that a 1TB HDD is more prone to crashing and dying than a 500GB one, for example. Is this true?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Alright, thanks for the reply. Does HDD size effect reliability? I remember hearing that a 1TB HDD is more prone to crashing and dying than a 500GB one, for example. Is this true?

Depends on the TECH. A single platter 1TB has a less chance of failing than its old model. Less moving parts, less wear plus the new HDD's are eco friendly meaning they don't eat up much energy and can cycle better.

When it comes HDD newer model is preferred than older tech but again most HDD like is around 3-5 years.
  • MrFriendlyFaceMrFriendlyFace Regular
    edited April 2011
    I am currently using a one TB external harddrive from Western Digital for most of my file storing needs. I've owned it for about two years now and it hasn't given me any problems yet, so I suggest getting one from them. :thumbsup:
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Depends on the built also. I had a pair of WD 500gbs and after a year long of plugging and disconnecting, the mini-USB port began to loosen to the point where the cable just slid in and had no grip. The disk would d/c because of this.

Also as stated below, use the original cable that came with the packaging ONLY for that HDD. For some reason external HDDs get accustomed to the cable and won't work with a different one. I don't know why this occurs but I can confirm that the issue arises for both Western Digital and Maxtor.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Oh and don't forget about the cable. Make sure to keep the pluggin and unpluggin to a minimum and never use HDD USB cable for other devices.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited April 2011
    I've had my WD 500GB external since about March 2008 and it's still kicking like brand new and it was subjected to high temperatures and sand of the desert for a solid year. I also use it probably more so than the hard drives in my machine. All my downloads and deletions (3 times secure wipes on every file there btw) go there and are accessed often. I figured it would have failed by now with how much I've used it, but I don't see it quitting anytime in the near future.
  • edited May 2011
    Sounds like WD is the way to go then! I've got a WD Caviar in my desktop right now and it's been running every single day for the past two years - no problems AT ALL. So yeah, I think I'll follow the trend and get a WD drive :D Thanks Totse.