Night Ops Training Exercises

edited April 2011 in Man Cave
I just got back from another training op with a friend. We set out when the sun set and made our way to a favorite location, ascending/descending a couple of trees as a warm up and to get in the zone. The night started out pretty cold but I soon warmed up, although it was very windy (good for covering up footsteps :D).

I've started removing my shoes before opping as its literally SILENT walking along on pretty much any surface. After stashing them somewhere in the nearby bushes, we began doing a series of training exercises involving the two of us playing roles of patrolling guard and operative. It went something like this...

The patrolling guard walked up and down a set area, back and forth. He stopped at each end of the area for a few seconds, just to allow for some additional movement from the operative if he needed to hide somewhere. At each end of his travels, he was to look around him to check for anyone in the area. If the guard can't see the operative, he doesn't exist! The guard also listened for footsteps when patrolling, just like any normal guard would.

The operative had to start his journey from point A and make his way around the surrounding area, out of sight, out of earshot. Our particular area was a circle so the finishing point was the same as the starting point. The operative had to hide behind various obstacles on his travels, moving only when out of sight.

It's quite interesting playing this game, as it challenges both the observational skills of the guard and the stealth skills of the operative :thumbsup: Once you start playing as the guard, you genuinely lose track of the operative and actually start looking for them properly - amazed that they have just disappeared into thin air :D It's good fun, and good experience at the same time.

Definitely worth a try.

Comments

• Habaner0Habaner0 Regular
    edited April 2011
    :facepalm: don't even try, kid
  • edited April 2011
    Habaner0 wrote: »
    :facepalm: don't even try, kid

Hey man, it's good to know how loud you're being, especially to someone who's actually listening for you. Same with being visible. It might sound like a game, but that's pretty much what it is - a relaxed, enjoyable way of identifying weaknesses in your technique before going into the field of real ops.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I've started removing my shoes before opping as its literally SILENT walking along on pretty much any surface.

Silent until you step into some broken glass / nails / barbed wire / cut cans / thorns / poison ivy / whatever else there may be in this world that can cut up your feet and you start screaming like a little girl and bleeding like a pig. Oh, and you just crippled your most important means of transportation, left DNA at the scene, made a very strong trail for a dog to follow and probably got an injury that needs to be treated by a doctor and might become infected. Not to mention the colorful ways a a hepatitis infected junkie's needle can ruin the rest of your days.
  • edited April 2011
    For situations like that I sometimes carry 2 long strips of cloth (2 sponge rubber 'pads' with rubber bands work well too) that I wrap around my shoes. Muffles out all sound of crunching sand/gravel etc.
  • edited April 2011
    Amie wrote: »
    Silent until you step into some broken glass / nails / barbed wire / cut cans / thorns / poison ivy / whatever else there may be in this world that can cut up your feet and you start screaming like a little girl and bleeding like a pig. Oh, and you just crippled your most important means of transportation, left DNA at the scene, made a very strong trail for a dog to follow and probably got an injury that needs to be treated by a doctor and might become infected. Not to mention the colorful ways a a hepatitis infected junkie's needle can ruin the rest of your days.

I hear ya bro. The ONLY reason I'd do such a thing is because I know for an absolute fact that there's nothing like that in the area which I was practicing in. Anyone else who's wishing to try this approach, don't take any chances and make sure you thoroughly check the surrounding areas before beginning!
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Ninja shoes ;) seen them being worn around my City quite a bit, too.
  • edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Anyone else who's wishing to try this approach, don't take any chances and make sure you thoroughly check the surrounding areas before beginning!

So scope out the area you need to scope in trainers out before you scope it out barefoot? Hmmm... I prefer Remade's idea, as long as they're leather/suede-soled tabi and not the shitty rubberized versions muppets buy when they want to play dress-up ninja. Only problem with tabi is that such footprints are very distinctive.

Why don't you master the art of walking silently in a pair of cheap trainers that can be thrown away afterwards?
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited April 2011
    Wearing shoes and staying silent a problem?
    Sounds like a job for carpet sandals. :hai:
  • LordbucketLordbucket Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    I had an old pair of wrestling shoes one time. those dam things were so quiet it was crazy.